Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa v Manchester United

• 09-02-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭

astonvilla.jpg V manchesterunited.jpg

Barclays Premier League
    Venue: Villa Park Date: Wednesday, 10 February 2010 Kick-off: 1945 GMT
    Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 Live, local radio & highlights on Match of the Day
    Aston Villa striker Emile Heskey is struggling to be fit for the home Barclays Premier League clash with Manchester United tomorrow evening. Heskey suffered a groin injury during Saturday's goalless draw at Tottenham and, although a scan revealed no major damage, Villa boss Martin O'Neill rates the England striker "doubtful" to face the Red Devils even though he is included in the squad. John Carew could replace Heskey in the starting line-up after recovering from a knee problem and coming on as a substitute at White Hart Lane. Left-back Stephen Warnock (ankle) is still unavailable as Villa attempt to complete their first league double over United for 55 years.

Veteran duo Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs are set for recalls as Manchester United look to maintain their Barclays Premier League title push by winning at Aston Villa. The pair did not even make the bench for Saturday's 5-0 demolition of Portsmouth, which suggests they will face Martin O'Neill's men. Rio Ferdinand is suspended, while Nemanja Vidic has an outside chance of being involved for the first time this year after suffering a nerve problem in his leg last month.

Aston Villa (from): Friedel, Guzan, Beye, Cuellar, Collins, Dunne, L Young, A Young, Petrov, Milner, Downing, Delph, Agbonlahor, Carew, Heskey, Delfouneso, Sidwell, Davies, Clark.

Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Brown, Rafael, De Laet, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Fabio, Park, Nani, Valencia, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson, Anderson, Giggs, Rooney, Owen, Berbatov, Diouf.

unfortunately this match isnt live on sky sports, Setanta or ESPN
    so it will be streams :(

here are some match facts
    Head-to-head

• Villa's 1-0 win at Old Trafford in December was their first victory over United in 25 matches (in all competitions).

• In league games only, United have lost just one of their last 28 meetings with Villa (W20, D7, L1).

• United's last Premier League defeat at Villa Park came on the opening day of the 1995/96 season.

Aston Villa

• Villa have only won one of their last six league games, and failed to score in any of the other five.

• It is four hours and 59 minutes since they scored a league goal at Villa Park - John Carew's 61st-minute winner against Stoke on 19 December.

• Villa have kept four consecutive clean sheets, and eight in their last 10 Premier League matches.

Man Utd

• Sir Alex Ferguson's side have taken 19 points from their last seven games.

• United have benefited from nine own goals this season, more than any other top-flight side.

• They have kept just one clean sheet in their last eight Premier League away matches.

not sure what formation will saf put out
    going for a 0-2 utd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Massive game for United must keep the pressure on Chelsea now, important to get a run going.

Think United will sneak this 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Hope Villa win obviously but think it will be a draw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I hope they batter United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Dont see it happening tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm reckoning a draw to be honest,though with the form Rooney is in, anything is possible.

However, looking the other direction we'll need to be very carefull about the pace of Villa on the counter attack, and we'll need to make sure we pay attention on crosses, which we didnt do at OT against them this season.

as for the team/formation - I reckon:

VDS

Brown--Vidic--Evans--Evra

---Fletcher-Carrick-Giggs
    Valencia
    Nani
    Rooeny

Could see park start ahead of either Nani or Valencia though, as I reckon Fergie will be worried about the threat down the wing from Villa.

Hopefully Vidic is back, no real idea what the story is with him at the moment, i thought he was due to be back vs Arsenal but there has been no sign of him since he was named on the bench vs City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think we have it in us to win it. Gosh, I used to just take these 3 points and put them in the bank. Villa are a team that normally just fold against us. But they stung us last time so :/

Anyway, with Rooney on the form he is in, I can't see us not scoring. And with people trying to get their place for the Milan came, everyone will be upping their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

The Villa defence has been rock solid this season, I think Dunne & Collins have forged a formidable partnership at the heart of the defence and Friedel has been in outstanding form also.

I think the rest of the team have grown in confidence because of them and it looks like Villa have stepped up a gear this season compared to the last couple of campaigns. Plus with players like Milner, Young, Downing, Agbonlahor, etc. breaking away on counter attacks & causing mayhem at set pieces we can beat absolutely anyone on our day, as we have already proven with wins against Liverpool, Chelsea & you lot at Old Trafford.

So even if Rooney is playing out of his skin right now, I still don't see Man Utd taking anything more then a point from Villa Park, infact, I can actually see Villa doing a league double over Utd (when was the last time that happened?)

Should be a nice appetiser for the cup final in a few weeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

can you recommend a good site for streaming of matches,
    always seem to get crap ones that freeze and cut out at half time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

if Utd score early it could be a cracker but its the 2 best defences in the league so my monies on a 0-0. (might actualyl bet this as then it has no chance of happening :D)

Itallsgood. go to the streaming post on soccer forum. some games cut out at half time because i don't think they are allowed to stream the half time analysis. Its trial and error most of the time but sopcast is a good enough one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Itallsgood. go to the streaming post on soccer forum. some games cut out at half time because i don't think they are allowed to stream the half time analysis. Its trial and error most of the time but sopcast is a good enough one

I can't fault Iraqgoals.net either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

there's snow falling in Birmingham atm

wonder any chance of the game being postponed ?

killwill wrote: »
    havent tried that one. Watching tonights game (the big one of course ;) ) on sky sports two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

United with a half decent defence won't concede against goal shy Villa. United victory, a comfortable 2-0. Not a drubbing, but a solid 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

killwill wrote: »

Really??

I have a 25mb connection and it can be very poor at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

a hard game to call but the form we are in at present and villa the past few wks form has dipped a bit so going for us to win 1-2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The best offense of the season versus the best defense. It's a tough one alright, but I think UTD will win 1-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If we contain Rooney we have a chance. I really, really, really, really hope Fonz gets a start but I suspect it will be Carew, in which case it'll be punt, punt, punt all night from Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If we contain Rooney we have a chance. I really, really, really, really hope Fonz gets a start but I suspect it will be Carew, in which case it'll be punt, punt, punt all night from Villa.

Delph starts in place of Heskey. Very surprising move. :D

vds
    raf--brown---evans----evra
    fletch---scholes----carrick
    nani---Rooney----Giggs

happy with the utd line up

great to see nani on the right again

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    happy with the utd line up

great to see nani on the right again
    Care to post it up for the rest of us? :)

edit: I too am happy with that line up, all we need now is a stable stream and we're golden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

MACHAYYDAAAAAAA !!!!!

Dave! wrote: »
    MACHAYYDAAAAAAA !!!!!
    Is he on the bench?

Is he on the bench?

nope

nev
    gibson
    owen
    foster
    park
    valenica
    berba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looks a promising line-up. Hopefully United can edge it.

i saw that JPA

nice bit of ninja deleting ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Aston Villa: Friedel, Cuellar, Collins, Dunne, Luke Young, Petrov, Ashley Young, Milner, Delph, Downing, Agbonlahor.

Subs: Guzan, Sidwell, Carew, Delfouneso, Davies, Salifou, Beye.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Rafael Da Silva, Brown, Jonathan Evans, Evra, Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, Nani, Rooney, Giggs.

Subs: Foster, Neville, Owen, Berbatov, Park, Valencia, Gibson.

Nani actually gets to keep his place after a decent run, he's a real confidence player and if you can keep his confidence up he'll be vital to you in the run in imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

i saw that JPA

nice bit of ninja deleting ;)

I saw it too

Nice team.

Cmon UTD!!!!!!!!!!!

Frisbee wrote: »
    Aston Villa: Friedel, Cuellar, Collins, Dunne, Luke Young, Petrov, Ashley Young, Milner, Delph, Downing, Agbonlahor.

Subs: Guzan, Sidwell, Carew, Delfouneso, Davies, Salifou, Beye.

Be afraid, Mancs... be VERY afraid.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Be afraid, Mancs... be VERY afraid.

pffft

ye're lucky kiko isnt on the bench ;)

btw who is he Neil ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Interesting that Foster has made the bench ahead of PiG.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

pffft

ye're lucky kiko isnt on the bench ;)

btw who is he Neil ?

why only the Togolese Zidane... o wait im not neil... Up The Villa!

why only the Togolese Zidane... o wait im not neil... Up The Villa!

Just imagine I said what he said... but a bit more Neil obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

This is such a big game for Delph. He's going to be excellent or get sent off. :D
    If we had Warnock fit this would be my favourite team to put out. Delph in a 4-5-1, oh ya, something big is gonna happen.

JPA wrote: »
    This is such a big game for Delph. He's going to be excellent or get sent off. :D
    If we had Warnock fit this would be my favourite team to put out. Delph in a 4-5-1, oh ya, something big is gonna happen.

It's about bloody time! I reckon he'll play excellent and get sent off. UTV!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Happy with the 451 approach from Villa tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

any streams yet?
    whats that link iraqgoals would they have it tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Have decided to watch this game over the others,

Hoping it will be a good one. Am expecting Villa to test United with plenty of crosses, thats what they seem to like to do these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't fancy our chances in this at all. Villa to close us down all day and Rooney to be too isolated up front on his own.

I also don't fancy my chances of having a stream that works for very long :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

deisedevil wrote: »
    Really??

I have a 25mb connection and it can be very poor at times.
    Doesnt matter that you've superfast broadband, the problem is at the other end, only have 1mb here and iraqgoals is fine most of the time!

Can see a tight United win or a draw but going to go for 1-0 United

Evra lucky not to get booked.

Lol @ Evra's reaction!

Way too many loose balls being played.

Goal.............

1 - 0

Villa

CUELLLAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

villa score

Balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Twas coming. We look slow in midfield with Giggs and Scholes, who normally make up for with good passing but its not there.

Cracking finish from Villa, Cracking.

Lovely header.

• Advertisement
Advertisement