Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleaning frying pans

Options
  • 09-02-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

i have spent a long time trying to clean the frying pan with a brillo pad cif etc. and it is very hard to get the black grit after frying Oven Mate has cleared it but they don't sell it anymore in the supermarkets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Table salt as an abrasive, vegetable oil as a medium for it, scouring pad and away you go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If you need to take a scouring pad to a frying pan it's time to buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

get a non-stick pan?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

hi, you should never ever scour frying pan! you destroy it wether its non stick or not. if you want to try to save this pan and save yourself the expense of a new one do the following. as its already been scoured scour it until its spotless. then dry it and coat it with a smear of oil all over and heat it on the highest temperature. add a generous dose of salt to the pan and 'cook' the salt on the pan for sbout 10mins.keep the salt moving round on the pn as it 'cooks. it will smoke a bit. allow to cool and tissue off residue with paper towel or soft cloth. add a small drop of oil when youre using it next time to cook and you should find the pan has developed a non stick type of coating. to clean just use hot water and a squirt of washing liqiud to soak and then use a sponge to clean it never a scourer. this is what is known as salting a pan, chefs do it!!! sounds like more hassel than it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Chuck it in the bin.
    I had an old one you couldnt fry an egg in without having to chip it off, even at the lowest heat.
    I really did try to clean it.
    They only last 3 or 4 years.
    Get someone to get you a new one for Valentines flukyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭fluky1

thanks for all the comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

fluky1 wrote: »
    i have spent a long time trying to clean the frying pan with a brillo pad cif etc. and it is very hard to get the black grit after frying Oven Mate has cleared it but they don't sell it anymore in the supermarkets

I'vs just run out of my bottle of "oven mate".
    It was the most amazing oven cleaner I've ever used and I remember getting in Dunnes Stores, but not seen it in a long time.

Does anyone have any idea where sells it nowadays?

Advertisement