Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One-Parent Family Tax Credit?

• 09-02-2010 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm an unmarried single father who has agreed access and maintenance arrangements with my ex. My daughter is almost 10years of age & an accountant mate asked me recently was I claiming 'one parent family tax credit'. I looked at him as if he had two heads. I never realised there was a tax credit for this. Very naive of me now it seems.

Anyway have since done some research and got the form off revenue.ie to apply for the tax credit. I qualify under the criteria stated on the form. She is not resident with me full-time, but I do have her on regular overnights.

According to the form I also needed to get my daughters PPS Number. Cue more confusion - they give out PPS numbers to children now. Approached my ex for this as I assumed she would have it on some related documentation. She refused to give it to me. She maintained she would lose some form of benefits although wouldn't tell me what. I assured her that both parents were entitled to this. Is there any possibility of her losing money on this - if so I'll drop it???

I've contacted the Child Identity section of the social welfare and they have told me to bring in my little girls birth cert and they will tie her in with my PPS number thereby allowing me to claim the tax credit.

Again, I'don't want to pursure this if it will affect my ex. Will this affect her or is she misinformed???? Also can I claim for the previous years where I didn't have this tax credit or is that wishful thinking on my part?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It won't affect your ex- she is over reacting.

You can go back up to four years to claim credits so in your case back to 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Moving thread to Taxation

Advertisement