Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Republic. They're better than you think!

Options
  • 09-02-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Upon hearing One Republic a few years back, Pighead had immediately filed them under "Rubbish American Bands that sound like Maroon 5" It seems that may have been a bit premature. Yer man Ryan Tedder is a real talent. No doubt about it. For those who don't know he's probably the most in demand pop writer in the business at the moment.

Pighead's indie credentials should never ever be questioned (Proud owner of Brett Anderson's tambourine :cool:) but it's true to say he's a sucker for a cracker of a pop tune, and this lad has been throwing them out like confetti in recent years. Leona Lewis' Bleeding Love, Beyonce's, Halo, Timbo's, The Way I Are and that Battlefield song to mention just a few.

Listened to their new album recently and it's decent. Not brilliant by any stretch but decent. There is definitely a very good album in these lads. Loved that " All The Right Moves" single they released a while back and the song they're releasing next is even better. It's called Secrets and should be massive.

Mark Pighead's words. These lads have a cracking album brewing inside them.

Also love this tune from their first album.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pighead wrote: »
    Upon hearing One Republic a few years back, Pighead had immediately filed them under "Rubbish American Bands that sound like Maroon 5" It seems that may have been a bit premature. Yer man Ryan Tedder is a real talent. No doubt about it. For those who don't know he's probably the most in demand pop writer in the business at the moment.

Pighead's indie credentials should never ever be questioned (Proud owner of Brett Anderson's tambourine :cool:) but it's true to say he's a sucker for a cracker of a pop tune, and this lad has been throwing them out like confetti in recent years. Leona Lewis' Bleeding Love, Beyonce's, Halo, Timbo's, The Way I Are and that Battlefield song to mention just a few.

Listened to their new album recently and it's decent. Not brilliant by any stretch but decent. There is definitely a very good album in these lads. Loved that " All The Right Moves" single they released a while back and the song they're releasing next is even better. It's called Secrets and should be massive.

Mark Pighead's words. These lads have a cracking album brewing inside them.

Oh Pighead i have these filed under guilty pleasures

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

This group has grown on me also, had mixed opinions about their 'Dreaming out loud' album at first but after a few listens it really grew on me. Particularly like their use of violins, piano and the like.

Only started listening to their recent one the other week but you are spot on in highlighting 'secrets' there. Wonderful tune if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I think they're really good, taking me a bit to get into the second album though. Looking forward to seeing them live on April 12 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

thoroughly decent band in my opinion. secrets is an amazing song aand tyrant from the "dreaming out loud" album is one of my favourite songs of all time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I love OneRepublic. Stop and Stare is a fantastic song.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,898 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Have they split up or are they on a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Last I heard they are in the process of making their third album.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

It's interesting that this thread appeared again, since I was wondering what song is currently played on the new Ralph Lauren ad on tv. I'm not a major fan of OneRepublic but they'll probably gain momentum over the next while with this kind of publicity. A breezy and light summer song -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

When these guys release an album as good as Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream or The Cure's Disintegration I might recognise them as a serious musical act, but for now I have them filed neatly as 'acts who have nothing to contribute to the evolution of music'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Every now and then I go on a One Republic binge session. Excellent band IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,898 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement