Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycle lane

• 09-02-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the current rules are in regard to using cycle lanes with dotted white lines? Can a motorcycle use one to make progress if the main driving lane is full of stationary traffic?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Just wondering what the current rules are in regard to using cycle lanes with dotted white lines? Can a motorcycle use one to make progress if the main driving lane is full of stationary traffic?

no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

gsxr1 wrote: »
    no.

was that changed? I thought any vehicle could use a cycle lane with dotted lines if it was in order to make progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Yes,
    These are shared lanes, they can be used by bicycles and regular road traffic. Only where a solid line exists is it for bicycles only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

gibo_ie wrote: »
    Yes,
    These are shared lanes, they can be used by bicycles and regular road traffic. Only where a solid line exists is it for bicycles only.

But I'm assuming even though the motorbike is allowed occupy the space, passing other vehicles on the left is undertaking and so not a legal maneuver. You still have to overtake a vehicle to correctly filter last I checked, of course this gets blurred when there are two lanes and you filter down the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

^^^

Was going to say that.

I saw a bike stoped by the Gardia on Sat for filtering in the cycle lane.

I came down the same raod on Sun, and filtered on the left - up to the front of the lights, past a Gardia on a bicycle in the cycle lane.
    He stoped next to me at the lights, and nodded to me.

So, I would not advise using them.*

even though there are some places that I migt use them. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

bad place to be

what ever about drivers not checking mirrors, know first hand passengers check even less

doors hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Dorsanty wrote: »
    But I'm assuming even though the motorbike is allowed occupy the space, passing other vehicles on the left is undertaking and so not a legal maneuver. You still have to overtake a vehicle to correctly filter last I checked, of course this gets blurred when there are two lanes and you filter down the middle.

I am sure it is not legal to do so while traffic is moving. What I meant was using it to make progress when traffic is stationary or very slow moving. Laws are usually very precise and I think it is highly unlikely the law states you can never use those lanes unless you are on a bicycle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Dorsanty wrote: »

It is legal if the traffic on your right is slow moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

KamiKazi wrote: »
    It is legal if the traffic on your right is slow moving.

And lets face it when you are on a R1, traffic is always slow moving :p

[Edit] Actually forgot, since most all these laws have the car in mind, that one is really for passing a vehicle on the left when the other vehicle is one lane to the right. You may also pass a vehicle in the same lane on the left where that vehicle is turning right. The passing slower traffic is not meant to be applied for 2 vehicles in the same lane where both are proceeding straight on, god if cars got up to that sh1te it would be gridlock, I mean worse than now.

** Please note none of these comments mean you won't find me doing any of the above maneuvers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Everything's allowed as long as you don't get caught! ;)

But seriously lads, be careful out there, especially when filtering! Let's not forget that once you put on your (magic) helmet you become invisible! Riding a motorcycle in Ireland is like wearing Harry Potter's invisibility cloak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Everything's allowed as long as you don't get caught! ;)

But seriously lads, be careful out there, especially when filtering! Let's not forget that once you put on your (magic) helmet you become invisible! Riding a motorcycle in Ireland is like wearing Harry Potter's invisibility cloak!

Ah jaysus if i was to count the number of times i break the "law" on the way to work i would be banned:p

Best advice is take it handy and just judeg it yourself.

As said above be careful cos we don't exsist judging from some car drivers:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Mechanically propelled vehicles are not normally permitted to drive in cycle paths, whether they have broken or fixed lines, save crossing them for access. The only allowance is if there is a abnormal (ie, not a traffic jam) blockage to traffic.

Buses may set down in non-mandatory (broken line) lanes and vehicles can park for up to 30 mins in order to unload. Vehicles can also stop in them to set down/pick up passengers. Vehicles which are legally allowed park in cycle lanes are listed in the SI.

In summary, lots of vehicles may use cycle lanes for various purposes but none, save bicycles, are allowed to drive in them.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0274.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

concussion wrote: »
    Mechanically propelled vehicles are not normally permitted to drive in cycle paths, whether they have broken or fixed lines, save crossing them for access. The only allowance is if there is a abnormal (ie, not a traffic jam) blockage to traffic.

Buses may set down in non-mandatory (broken line) lanes and vehicles can park for up to 30 mins in order to unload. Vehicles can also stop in them to set down/pick up passengers. Vehicles which are legally allowed park in cycle lanes are listed in the SI.

In summary, lots of vehicles may use cycle lanes for various purposes but none, save bicycles, are allowed to drive in them.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0274.html

The link you provided says otherwise.

"(5) (a) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 022 has been provided, save for the purpose of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place."

RRM022 being a unbroken white line. It also says that a cycle must use a cycle path indicated by traffic sign number RRM 022. Something I have never seen enforced either.

Dang mechanical wheelchairs using our cycle lanes!! :P

Suffice it to say, motorbikes are not allowed to use cycle paths (continuous or broken line) in order to pass traffic on the left. I don't know why you'd want to anyway, they're usually full of glass, holes, parked cars and don't go where you want to go. Also, technically, if a car is parked on one with a continuous line, you can't move out onto the road to overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Suffice it to say, motorbikes are not allowed to use cycle paths (continuous or broken line) in order to pass traffic on the left.

Ignoring whether its morally right or wrong there is no actual legislation saying this. For everything you quote I can show you the grey area. There is a lot of that where most forms of two wheeled transport are concerned.
    I don't know why you'd want to anyway, they're usually full of glass, holes, parked cars and don't go where you want to go.

You forgot drains sunken half a foot deep. They really aren't nice places.

Also, technically, if a car is parked on one with a continuous line, you can't move out onto the road to overtake.

True, but as a motorbike user you shouldn't be in the lane if its got a continuous white line anyway.

Grey areas - the definition of 'access'?

I cycle, so I should (but don't like being) in them. I don't particularly see any issues with motorbikes using them though, as long as cyclists aren't tailgaited by them. I doubt that would be a problem with the vast majority of riders though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Only time I would use them is along a small part of the canal where the road is so narrow that cannot go down middle when there is a traffic jam.
    Odd time get abuse from cyclists just before they go through the next red light :P

Advertisement