Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M50 Speed

• 09-02-2010 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey,

I was wondering is there any Speed Cams on the M50? I noticed alot of people going over the limit I am just recently driving. I know its 100 but some people are going well over 120...was wondering do they not get done often or is it the norm?

How much over the speed limit do you have to be going to get points?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

If you're recently driving have you a full license??? You know L plate drivers are not permitted on the M50. I have yet to come across a speed camera or Gatso van on the M50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

There are no longer any static cameras on the M50 as a result of the ongoing upgrade work, prior to that there was one just after the Tallaght exit heading north and again out past finglas.

There are plenty of unmarked Garda cars as well as marked ones that regularly patrol the M50 so excessively breaking the speed limit consistantly will no doubt land you in trouble at some stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Robb wrote: »
    Hey,

I was wondering is there any Speed Cams on the M50? I noticed alot of people going over the limit I am just recently driving. I know its 100 but some people are going well over 120...was wondering do they not get done often or is it the norm?

How much over the speed limit do you have to be going to get points?
    Cos the limit is 120 unless specified otherwise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

eh? even I know the limit on the M50 is 100 ...

120 cos it's a motorway......

KPH, obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

both directions show (new signs since the 3rd lanes open on the southside stretch of it, i drive it every day) 100KPH.

Antigone05 wrote: »
    both directions show (new signs since the 3rd lanes open on the southside stretch of it, i drive it every day) 100KPH.
    So the M50 is a national primary road now? Or temporary speed limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Robb

If you're recently driving have you a full license??? You know L plate drivers are not permitted on the M50. I have yet to come across a speed camera or Gatso van on the M50.

I have my full license. Just did lessons on the Pro so still new.

@Midnight no its 100 all the sign posts say 100. I know the Motorway along the N2 or it could be the N2 now not sure is 120, but the M50 is 100 signs everywhere saying it.

I think it should be 120, but with all the roads works now meh maybe they might change it when its all done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

its now a national primary road AFIK.

just to note, most of the roadworks are finished (from ballinteer to tallagh) and since they have been finished they erected new 100KPH signs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Robb

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

So the M50 is a national primary road now? Or temporary speed limit?

M and N roads are both National Primary Roads. Being an M doesnt guarantee a 120 speed limit....just as well we told you perhaps...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Also, on a 3 lane road, drive in the left hand lane, unless overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Speed limit on the M50 is 120km/h in some places. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

testicle wrote: »
    Also, on a 3 lane road, drive in the left hand lane, unless overtaking.

There should be some form of flashing sign reminding this on most people's dash boards

I hate driving on the M50 or the specific reason that hardly anyone drives properly on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

they said on the news today that the M50 (well the 4 lane parts) was being classified as an "Urban motorway" - they said since they had to fit in 4 lanes they needed to narrow the lanes so needed to reduce it to 100kph.

can anyone confirm this ? first time i heard anything like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

kensutz wrote: »
    . I have yet to come across a speed camera or Gatso van on the M50.

There is a GATSO van regularly parked up between J7 & J9 SB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

samhail wrote: »
    they said on the news today that the M50 (well the 4 lane parts) was being classified as an "Urban motorway" - they said since they had to fit in 4 lanes they needed to narrow the lanes so needed to reduce it to 100kph.

can anyone confirm this ? first time i heard anything like that

It's been talked about on here in most M50 related threads for the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

There are 3 speed limits in effect currently on the M50 - 100 km/h, 80 km/h and 0 stuck in traffic. The reduced limit is due to the alignment (how far you can see ahead) and the narrower lanes.

As far as I know there is no 120 km/hr section but I dont go south of sandyford very often so maybe there is one there? Anyone who thinks otherwise needs their eyes checked :D There hasnt been a 120 km/h section for over 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Argh, I have been sticking to 120 km/hr for some time now. I could have sworn that the speed limit between exits 14 and 15 (Leopardstown and Carrickmines) was still 120 km/hr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Half the traffic is going at 120kph anyway, Gardai don't seemt too bothered.

Doing a ton would attract some attention though, not so much on the M4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Argh, I have been sticking to 120 km/hr for some time now. I could have sworn that the speed limit between exits 14 and 15 (Leopardstown and Carrickmines) was still 120 km/hr?

It goes to 120 as soon as you pass the Leopardstown junction heading Southbound and continues at 120 until the Fassaroe exit at Bray. Heading Northbound, the same stretch is 120 pretty much.

cormie wrote: »
    It goes to 120 as soon as you pass the Leopardstown junction heading Southbound and continues at 120 until the Fassaroe exit at Bray. Heading Northbound, the same stretch is 120 pretty much.

Beat me to it. Seems foolish IMO

What seems foolish? :)

Having the newly rebuilt parts of the M50 at 100KM And then leaving the older part at 120!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

The-Game wrote: »
    Having the newly rebuilt parts of the M50 at 100KM And then leaving the older part at 120!!

the reason for it is that the lanes on the newly rebuilt sections are narrower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

corktina wrote: »
    eh? even I know the limit on the M50 is 100 ...

its What you can actually get away with.*

* live by the sword die by the sword, i do 120 kph unless ive a reason not to i.e fog, heavy rain etc etc

The-Game wrote: »

Bit of a pain alright but even 4 lanes at 80 would be better than what it was. The flow seems to have improved greatly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I fail to see why narrower lanes require a speed reduction.

Are they just doing it as they know most Irish people can't drive properly?

What is the road actually designed for since the 120 areas are generally designed for 160.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

120 cos it's a motorway......

KPH, obviously!

Actually, not. There is no set speed limit for any roads in Ireland. All roads have to be signposted with speed limits.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

The speed limit on the upgraded setions of the M50 is 100km/h. South of Sandyford the number of lanes drops to 2 and the limit rises to 120km/h.
    I've never seen an 80km/h limit on the M50 proper (but I rarely stray north of the river:D)
    There is often a camera van parked in the hard shoulder between the Lucan and Red Cow exits Southbound and there are MANY unmarked Garda vehicles patrolling. Not just the obvious blue Mondeos either; SUVs, estates and hatchbacks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Pdfile wrote: »
    its What you can actually get away with.*

* live by the sword die by the sword, i do 120 kph unless ive a reason not to i.e fog, heavy rain etc etc

Thats a great attitude to have, isnt it?

Advertisement