Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Smart to UPC

• 09-02-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of moving from Smart to UPC.Do I just sign up with UPC and they will handle the porting of my phone & broadband from Smart?

Just worried about cancelling Smart and then be without broadband and phone whilst I'm waiting for UPC.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Anyone?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

carbsy2 wrote: »
    Anyone?

UPC don't use ADSL, so they can't port broadband from Smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Spear wrote: »
    UPC don't use ADSL, so they can't port broadband from Smart.

Yeah I wasn't sure about the porting as I'll still be using the same phone number.Thanks for the advice.Looks like I'll just cancel Smart and order UPC and hope that I don't have too much downtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

carbsy2 wrote: »
    Yeah I wasn't sure about the porting as I'll still be using the same phone number.Thanks for the advice.Looks like I'll just cancel Smart and order UPC and hope that I don't have too much downtime.

Do the opposite. Order UPC and when it is installed, ask them about porting your phone number. If you cancel Smart, you can't port the number and will have to get a new one.

UPC don't use phonelines (it's cable) so you can run both concurrently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Looking at switching to UPC myself.
    My understanding is that if you want to keep your number, DO NOT cancel your phone line with SMART. Sign up to UPC and get in the broadband and phone service. They will give you a new number, so you will have 2 phone numbers (and also be paying for 2 services)
    Once you are happy with everything, then get onto UPC about transferring over your number from SMART.
    I think you might have to cancel your broadband with SMART yourself, not sure.

Parents switched phone to UPC recently and also got in broadband, and thats how it worked with them.

WW

• Advertisement
Advertisement