Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Society??

Options
  • 09-02-2010 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Does anyone know if there's an active poker society in UCD?? or anyone who organises them in ucd.

cheers,
    Richard.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Them Poker's be a slippery slope to work dodgin', yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

AFAIK, its not allowed. There have been some non-cash poker events organised from time to time but playing for cash has been banned by Butler, I believe. He closed down the poker society as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

WeeBushy wrote: »
    AFAIK, its not allowed. There have been some non-cash poker events organised from time to time but playing for cash has been banned by Butler, I believe. He closed down the poker society as well.
    I think the gamesoc poker nights[on tuesdays,usually café brava] are for the pot,so max 20 quid prize.

I know butler wasn't too happy with the amount of money we were changing hands so I think it might be different now,I'll talk to the guy that runs it and see how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Gamesoc run regular poker games, but instead of a cash payout, you get a voucher for your choice of place equal to what the pot had reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I dont know what Butlers problem is about winning money on poker on campus. I'd have no problem as long as the games were rake free. If 20 people enter a tournament for a 20 euro someone will win at least a hundred quid, depending on the prize scale. Nothing wrong with consenting adults putting in a small amount with the potential to win big IMO.

• Advertisement

it's not that,it's far too easy for the society to embezzle in these situations and a lot of the committee play in the poker nights,so them making a profit would be pretty easy.

at least with vouchers and non-cash prizes they[well domo] have to balance the books

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I would imagine that generally, gambling and potentially high sums changing hands in this manner could be viewed as a dubious practice to condone by an authority like Butler's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think they should really leave the money out of it entirely at UCD. In my experience it's against the social ethos of Societies, which is to encourage new members, rather than see them as cash cows to exploit. Why should people join if they know they are going to get hammered?

When I tried it a couple of years ago, there were also unlimited rebuys, which you will never find in professional circles - it changes the way you manage your stack, an essential skill to learn. It also encourages "playing the people" rather than "playing the cards", which is no way to develop your skills. (I saw some folks going all-in pre-flop, with 6 players at the table, knowing they could re-buy afterwards. Try that in a tournament, you are either very lucky or you are toast!)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I imagine a society which appreciates implements used to stoke fires ect and frequently went on implement searching trips to fairs down the country could work well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 richnel_85

To cut a long story short, on behalf of ucd i plan to run a Texas Hold'em Night (with BIG non-cash prizes). The night will be in aid of Temple Street Children's Hospital which at the moment is suffering from severe cut-backs.

I am just looking for advice from people who have organised events of this nature before.

So, if someone could email me/forward me contact details of anyone involved within Gamesoc, it would be much appreciated!!!

Cheers,
    Richard.

• Advertisement

http://www.ucdgamesoc.com/forum

post something there or PM albel nox,he's the guy that organises the poker nights for gamesoc.

Or you could just come along to the next poker night and see how things work and talk to brian there

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah there be games on every Tuesday. Somewhere in the student centre. Know the lad in charge, can find out anything else if ya want me to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hi, sorry for dragging up this thread, but does anyone know what the craic is now? I presume Poker Soc is still outlawed? And if so, does anyone know of any regular poker nights organised through Gamesoc or anything like that?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 41 FeckinUsername

I haven't seen anything from Poker Soc in years so I presume the situation is the same. Try Gamesoc I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Hi, sorry for dragging up this thread, but does anyone know what the craic is now? I presume Poker Soc is still outlawed? And if so, does anyone know of any regular poker nights organised through Gamesoc or anything like that?

Cheers

Read the above thread, the same situation stands

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

[Jackass] wrote: »

Cheers

Tbh I would nose out the poker society in trinity. Not much pokering joy to be had in ucd I'm afraid. This is their e-mail: bridge@csc.tcd.ie

Advertisement