Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting there...

Options
  • 09-02-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

not too sure if i am in the right place but basically i am looking at eventually reaching oz on a WHV :)

I was looking at the usit round the world flights and what i was thinking is spending say 3 weeks roadtripping across america and then onto Hawaii then Fiji then all going well hitting Cairns and busing it or dong a Camper Van down the east coast before hitting Sydney

I was just wondering if anyone has gone through America first and what kinda money am i looking at it? I get it would be cheaper to go through Asia but knowing me, i wont have the money for coming home through America so just looking for some advice

Thanks a million
    CK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hey Guys,

not too sure if i am in the right place but basically i am looking at eventually reaching oz on a WHV :)

I was looking at the usit round the world flights and what i was thinking is spending say 3 weeks roadtripping across america and then onto Hawaii then Fiji then all going well hitting Cairns and busing it or dong a Camper Van down the east coast before hitting Sydney

I was just wondering if anyone has gone through America first and what kinda money am i looking at it? I get it would be cheaper to go through Asia but knowing me, i wont have the money for coming home through America so just looking for some advice

Thanks a million
    CK

I went through USA for 2 months, it cost me a fair bit.
    Now when you say road tripping across america in 3 weeks, this is a very unrealistic target, what do you want to see and do?

I found myself spending a lot more in USA, but then again I was more flash packing (as in eating out a lot, rather than cook my own food)

Hostels can be quiet expensive, Now I also went YHA so they can be a bit more pricey.

I found eating out in some places pretty okay, as can get a big lunch eat half and have teh rest for dinner!

My trip went in 2 months
    NYC -> Boston (fly) -> Chicago (fly) -> Phily -> Washington DC (fly) -> Atlanta -> Nashville -> Memphis -> Little Rock -> Austin -> Dallas (fly)-> Vegas -> San Diego -> LA -> Santa barbra -> San Fran -> Eugene -> Portland -> Seattle

what route you looking to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

well have covered the east coast before so looking at maybe flying into Boston and then heading for Chicago and then doing something like route 66 (although i do think i want to go to Nashville and Memphis aswell), then doing Vegas and the west coast...

i just put 3 weeks off hand...was thinking if i wasnt driving i could greyhound it over night in some parts to save money and just sleep on the bus :)

hussey: your route is pretty cool...did you bus/train it? or have a car?how much did you spend in America...thats my biggest worry really about the cost of doing it...Hawaii and Fiji are just for a few days to take it in and chill out before hitting Oz really so hoping not to spend too much if possible there

Advertisement