Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT- The best bits!

Options
  • 09-02-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Everyone has a good day in DIT once in a while...even though we all like to critise (sp?) them alot including myself!

So far one good thing for me is that I'm off Thursday and Friday and as well as that I don't start until 12 on a Tuesday....

So what was yours???:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

The fact that I only have 100 and odd days left in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pugsymalone

The fact that Freeoscar has only 100 and odd days left in the place:D

Oh and the day there was jacks roll in the jacks in Bolton St - bliss!!

and the Farmers Ball last year in the Big Tree

and Tradfest, when there was a Tradfest

and Rag Week was much better when I was young

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

by far, the levels of clunge in aungier st.!!!!

been here ages and dont intend on leaving, il squirrel my way into another course somehow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

jossnjuice wrote: »
    by far, the levels of clunge in aungier st.!!!!

been here ages and dont intend on leaving, il squirrel my way into another course somehow!!
    It brightens up the darkest of Monday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

there are a couple of girls from my home country in Aungier Street and possibly Kevin Street. W00t!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

ah the small classes, actually knowing everyones name and the chance to ask a question in class... Way better than TCD/ UCD!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Library staff and facilities in Aungier st are very good in general.
    I like the canteen food in Aung St and many of my lecturers are approachable, have real world experience and are not stuck up **** like you may find in other more 'illustrious' institutions closer *ahem* to the centre of the city.
    Also students here are generally down to earth and sound, dont think I could stick some of the clique nature or upper class mentality of UCD or Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

The restaurant in Aungier Street and the staff who work in it! They're all very nice!

neil_18_ wrote: »
    The restaurant in Aungier Street and the staff who work in it! They're all very nice!

+1
    The eastern european main one who serves the food is especially sound, makes a change from minute portions and random prices in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

wixfjord wrote: »
    +1
    The eastern european main one who serves the food is especially sound, makes a change from minute portions and random prices in the last few years.

If its the guy I think you're talking about, I used to work with him. Absolute gent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

many of my lecturers are approachable, have real world experience and are not stuck up **** like you may find in other more 'illustrious' institutions closer *ahem* to the centre of the city.
    Also students here are generally down to earth and sound, dont think I could stick some of the clique nature or upper class mentality of UCD or Trinity.
    ah the small classes, actually knowing everyones name and the chance to ask a question in class... Way better than TCD/ UCD!

having spent a year tcd, I can whole heartedly agree with all of the above!
    I also like the way doctor visits are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    The fact that I only have 100 and odd days left in the place.

Same thoughts!

The only good thing I can think of is that I'm getting a good education.... I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

4 Euro will get you a nice sandwich, crisps and some milk/water.
    3.50 will get you a nice sandwich and a cup of tea/coffee/soup.

Under the 5 euro mark.. happy days. can spend the rest on a game of pool during them lonnngggg breaks..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

wixfjord wrote: »

Obviously you have never met a large proportion of the 1st year B&M students....

Fad wrote: »
    Obviously you have never met a large proportion of the 1st year B&M students....

Im doing B and M not in first year though. I will agree there are an amount of tossers and in DT341 aswell, but not to the same extent that youd get elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

There are no best bits. The sporadic nature of the locations means there is no campus really and that ruins any proper community spirit in the place as everythign is completely and utterly decentralised. Stupid way to run a college IMO, bring on Grangegorman ASAP!

sdonn wrote: »
    There are no best bits. The sporadic nature of the locations means there is no campus really and that ruins any proper community spirit in the place as everythign is completely and utterly decentralised. Stupid way to run a college IMO, bring on Grangegorman ASAP!

Horrible attitude to have! Makes you sound very bitter. DIT is a great college with an amazing community spirit. I'd put money on it that you've never joined in with societies/clubs/class nights out and blaming a lack of campus as a result. Things can't be handed to you on a plate. Get up and do something about it.
    I've countless friends attending dcu/ucd who are jealous of what DIT has to offer. They enter their "amazing" campus's and leave everyday without ever talking to or meeting people. They might as well be ghosts. We are lucky to have DIT segmented into the various faculty. It simply lets like minded people be with like minded people. Win - Win!
    I really hope you're not in my campus, your glass half empty attitude would drain the life out of me. Drone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I would agree that there's a poor community spirit in DIT relative to other institutions in the city.
    I also think class interaction is better in DIT.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I would agree that there's a poor community spirit in DIT relative to other institutions in the city.
    I also think class interaction is better in DIT.

Not trying to sound rude, but do you mind me asking what is DIT missing in community spirit compared to othe dublin colleges?

ToTheSea: wrote: »
    Not trying to sound rude, but do you mind me asking what is DIT missing in community spirit compared to othe dublin colleges?

It's actually mainly down to our lack of campus and the lack of facilities that go along with it.
    There's no real hub of society life, yes there are some great societies but there isn't really a community built up around society life. It's all too fragmented.
    Same goes with sport, I've no idea what sports DIT even plays nevermind how teams are getting on. I've never heard of any attempt to get supporters out for big matches etc etc.

I'm speaking with experience of societies in a number of colleges, you might love the societies you're involved in in DIT etc, but objectively I'm trying to explain that there is a definite difference.

• Advertisement

I've often seen posters around ast asking people to come along to gaa games. Buses provided and all. Yes the posters were small(a4 size) but the effort was made you just have to keep an eye open.
    Only thing that DIT lacks is a pub but that will never happen. Other than that our facilities are fine. A campus won't change much.
    I went on exchange to america recently and stayed on campus(really looked like something from t.v). The novelty wore off quickly enough. Yeah it was nice but I can live without it. I know what you're saying but (and I hate saying this) the city is our campus. I'm delighted we're not out on the outskirts of the city. Personally thats a HUGE plus.

I've often seen posters around ast asking people to come along to gaa games. Buses provided and all. Yes the posters were small(a4 size) but the effort was made you just have to keep an eye open.
    Only thing that DIT lacks is a pub but that will never happen. Other than that our facilities are fine. A campus won't change much.
    I went on exchange to america recently and stayed on campus(really looked like something from t.v). The novelty wore off quickly enough. Yeah it was nice but I can live without it. I know what you're saying but (and I hate saying this) the city is our campus. I'm delighted we're not out on the outskirts of the city. Personally thats a HUGE plus.

I'm based in ast too and I honestly haven't noticed any posters looking for supporters, or if I have I haven't realised that's what they are (and I'm generally the type that'll stop and read anything that catches my eye.) but posters aside, there's no real buzz about the place.
    The facilities are good if that's all you know, but our one society room in ast is nothing compared to the likes of TCD where every society gets a room of its own (albeit shared with maybe 3 other societies) so there is really no home for societies.

I know people often go on about us not having a pub, but I really think that's not that huge a problem. Pubs can be easily adopted and really all you want is a place where people from college go to for the craic. This is one respect where "the city is our campus" really comes into play, if the SU were smart about it they'd strike up an arrangement with some local pubs and focus their activities there. If you found a DIT-friendly pub you could easily start funnelling student nights etc there and it would soon turn into a defacto DIT pub.

I think another failing is the lack of a centralised point for information... at the moment there seems to be posters stuck up randomly everywhere. If there was more regulation and designated areas for postering then I could go along to the big noticeboard, look at whats on offer and find it in one place. During the elections I was postering for a society event and couldn't find anywhere to put up the posters, not because there's so much going on in college but because between election posters and just advertisements the place was jammed. I hate to keep harking back to TCD, but I was heavily involved with societies there so it's the system I know best, but there are SU noticeboards and socs noticeboards. The SU don't go onto the socs boards and viceversa. Everyone knows the regulations regarding postering and everyone knows what happens if you don't follow them.

Another failing I find particularly painful is our poor student media in DIT. UCD has... 2 papers? TCD has 2 papers? We have the DIT News and Toast. Neither are especially good at doing what they're doing. Ok, so Toast is SU publication and does a decent enough job of dealing with all things SU, it just contains nothing I'd want to read. DIT News is so irregular and ultimately poorly constructed that it fails to create any real buzz within the college. When your brief is to report on DIT, well it should be pretty easy to convey a sense of what's going on in DIT, but somehow it fails.

Another aspect I don't hugely understand... SU emails. Honestly one email a week could keep people informed of what's going on. I know there are some issues with regards to dataprotection, but if I've got lecturers who don't even lecture me sending me emails, surely the SU or Socs should have access to the lists. It's something I don't really understand and I don't currently have the time to find out who exactly is responsible for it, but it's another way of keeping the student body as a whole informed.

Really all these things just boil down to a lesser sense of community than you'd find elsewhere. I'm sure there are other more deep-rooted sociological explanations, but by the time someone comes up with something definite for that we'll all probably be in Grangegorman.

Edit: The last email from the SU President actually lead with a thing about DIT Soccer. More of this sort of stuff would be nice. Emails aren't the ultimate answer, but at least it's a step towards informing the entire student body.

"The City is our Campus" = a token propaganda-like phrase invented by the campus life guys to try and sell the place.

DIT is a grand institution inside the lecture room, but outside of that it's fundamentally flawed by being spread all over the place. Better than having the individual colleges yeah, but a whole lot worse from an academic point of view than having all you need centralised on one campus. Management want to build GG so it's obvious they agree!

It's all very well to say that you get a community feel from joining a society (which I have, by the way) and that's all very well but it's not what I mean when I refer to the community-like feel of a large single campus. I've been a student in DCU before albeit not at third level (summer academic stuff) and found it much nicer a place. If you needed a book in the library, there was none of this bull**** of having to walk to Aungier Street because Bolton Street didn't have it.

A University campus should be self-enclosed, there's too many distractions in the city and it takes from the overall feel of the place. You step out of a DIT location and you're straight back into the hustle and bustle; with a large campus theres much more space and it's more peaceful too and there's room to have dedicated facilities which DIT could on;y dream of, like a car park (that piece of **** beside Bolton St doesnt count), purpose-build resteraunt and library, a proper onsite student shop selling everything you could need rather than a SU shop which are small and frankly smelly.

The ONLY advantage of being in the city is the transport links are generally better. But even at that, UCD has god knows how many dedicated bus routes. DIT has probably as many students but I've never seen "DIT" on the front of a double decker!

I could go on forever. I wanna make it clear though that I'm not bitter in the least. Overall, I like DIT, just don't like it as much as other campuses I've seen. I'm just pissed off at the general lack of progress in just about any major projects that are meant to make this country better and Grangegorman is just one of those projects that's being delayed by countless miles of red tape and trailer loads of bullshít.

Ok, I knew when I said "the city is our campus" it'd come back at me. It's not propaganda btw :rolleyes:. Just simple marketing highlighting one of our strongest assets.
    Anyway we are going off topic here, so I'm going to leave this debate and agree to disagree. I love DIT and its different faculties within our city. Different strokes for different folks however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

It's not propaganda btw :rolleyes:. Just simple marketing highlighting one of our strongest assets.
    Propaganda is the dissemination of information aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of people.

I think you'll find this is pretty much the same thing as marketing one strong asset!:D

Ok, I knew when I said "the city is our campus" it'd come back at me. It's not propaganda btw :rolleyes:. Just simple marketing highlighting one of our strongest assets.
    Anyway we are going off topic here, so I'm going to leave this debate and agree to disagree. I love DIT and its different faculties within our city. Different strokes for different folks however.

Yes yes Mr Goebells, whatever you say.

sdonn wrote: »
    Yes yes Mr Goebells, whatever you say.
    Charming.

GarethWA wrote: »
    Propaganda is the dissemination of information aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of people.

I think you'll find this is pretty much the same thing as marketing one strong asset!:D

Yes propaganda and marketing both relay information to people. However, while a marketing message focusess on a certain attribute to allow people to make an informed desicion. A propaganda message scews the truth, distorts facts and adds false statements in order to decieve people.
    Similar but not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Yes propaganda and marketing both relay information to people. However, while a marketing message focusess on a certain attribute to allow people to make an informed desicion. A propaganda message scews the truth, distorts facts and adds false statements in order to decieve people.
    Similar but not the same.

Historically the word propaganda has been distorted into something negative. The true definition of the word is really closer to what I posted earlier, however i think you may merely believe that the word automatically means that all information has been distorted in some unfair or biased fashion, as do a lot of people today. The truth is that Joseph Goebbels was a master propagandist, and would be remembered historically as one of the most prominent, (if not the most successful) propagandists in modern history. The fact that he was a prominent figure in the nazi party has perhaps tarnished the definition of the term, and left it in a very negative, and somewhat unethical light.

The fact is that all marketing and advertising are forms of propaganda. A supermarket trying to tell you they have the best value, or a politician telling you they can make things better than another politician are all ways of trying to "influence the opinions or behaviours of people".

The fact is that you haven't really proven that propaganda is all those awful things you said it is, but if you have some solid evidence i would be very interested to see it!

• Advertisement

GarethWA wrote: »
    Historically the word propaganda has been distorted into something negative. The true definition of the word is really closer to what I posted earlier, however i think you may merely believe that the word automatically means that all information has been distorted in some unfair or biased fashion, as do a lot of people today. The truth is that Joseph Goebbels was a master propagandist, and would be remembered historically as one of the most prominent, (if not the most successful) propagandists in modern history. The fact that he was a prominent figure in the nazi party has perhaps tarnished the definition of the term, and left it in a very negative, and somewhat unethical light.

The fact is that all marketing and advertising are forms of propaganda. A supermarket trying to tell you they have the best value, or a politician telling you they can make things better than another politician are all ways of trying to "influence the opinions or behaviours of people".

The fact is that you haven't really proven that propaganda is all those awful things you said it is, but if you have some solid evidence i would be very interested to see it!

-You've just said (more likely copied and pasted) yourself that propaganda was tarnished because of its use within the nazi regime.So yes its is all those awful things I said!
    -You also said marketing is a form of propaganda. I said they were similar but not the same.
    -To agree that DIT is using propagnda is unjust. The word was used in an extreme context in the original users post about DIT. If anybody feels they used propaganda like the nazis did, they are fools for coming to DIT.

I know you personally are just trying to clarify A WORD. I'm not attacking you just your post.
    Thanks, TTS:

Advertisement