Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping in Glenmalure

Options
  • 09-02-2010 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey, a couple of friends and my self are planning to hike from Glendalough to Glenmalure, and camp in Glenmalure for the night. I was wondering if there where any places to camp for the night, preferably with a fire but its not major. Oh and any advice on the trip would be great.
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There's a hostel just past the ford, you may be able to camp behind it.

Plenty of other subtle places around the area a bit higher up the valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There's an awesome place up the fire road just past the hostel.
    I can't remember where exactly, IIRC, you keep to the right and you'll eventually see a small clearing down by the river.

Now, I haven't been up that way in years so this could have changed/been messed up in the floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've often seen people camping in an area between the ford and the hostel. They've mostly left the place in ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

CianRyan wrote: »
    There's an awesome place up the fire road just past the hostel.
    I can't remember where exactly, IIRC, you keep to the right and you'll eventually see a small clearing down by the river.

Now, I haven't been up that way in years so this could have changed/been messed up in the floods.

I know the place you mean. Haven't been there in a while either but it's a great camping spot. Walk from the ford to the hostel on the forest track, keep going beyond the hostel and keep looking right, down by the river bank. You'll see a small flat area with space for one tent (maybe two tents if you're all mates), right beside the river - lovely!

Alternatively, I think you can still camp in the garden of the hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Alternatively alternatively, you could just wander round and find your own spot somewhere in the valley.

And please clean up after yourself and don't make shi*e of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Like others have said, there are plenty of ideal camping spots in that valley, near the hostel. Beware the scrotes* though. There can be some fairly simple individuals up there at times (especially Summer Friday/Saturday nights) who make a hell of a lot of noise (and an awful mess as has been mentioned!).

* Not sure what the PC term for scrotes is these days! (you know, Scumbags ;))

Advertisement