Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie domain for a charity website

Options
  • 09-02-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to register a .ie domain for a charity event were running.

so I dont have a company name or anything, so I was wondering how I go about getting a .ie registered?

Not a registered charity or anything just want a website for the event.

Looking for http://www.allthewayround.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You'd need to register it as:
    Unincorporated Association
    Unincorporated Association Name

and provide a letter stating that the domain was being registered for the charity / charitable event / organisation

You can place the order online via our site

Current offer is €14.99 for a one year IE registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I have done this.

I got an empty word document in the email from pre-sales

So I stated in that what the website is for and digitally signed it and uploaded it at the provided link.

But does it have to be on headed paper?

If were not a company we dont have headed paper so what do we do?

Could you forward me the email? It shouldn't have been blank ! (michele [at] blacknight.com)

"Headed Paper" - basically something that looks semi-professional - Word etc., letter wizard does a fine job

Forwarded that email last night.

This is what I wrote and uploaded:
    To whom it concerns,
    This is a letter to state that I wish to register the domain http://www.allthewayround.ie for a charity event to raise money for the Irish Cancer Society.
    The domain will be used to promote the event which will be a drive around Ireland over 3 days.
    The event aims to raise money through bot individual and corporate sponsorship.
    The website will be used to attract corporate sponsorship and participants in the event.

Is that sufficient? except I should re upload it with a header?

Comments on the upload page read as follows:
    IEDR Ticket Status: Documentation Required
    IEDR Ticket Remarks: We need a letter from the applicant on the association's letterhead stating that they are an Unincorporated Association, and outlining the type of association they are. In addition, they should explain their claim to the proposed domain name.

If it's signed and has been submitted to the IEDR we might as well wait until they come back on it. They may accept it or they may query it :)

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    If it's signed and has been submitted to the IEDR we might as well wait until they come back on it. They may accept it or they may query it :)

ok cheers :)

This is up on the DDM now
    Please amend the applicant to reflect the Irish Cancer Society and the admin contact to reflect a member of the Irish Cancer Society. If the applicant is a charity, please provide their charity number.

So were not actually a charity so we dont have a charity number.

Does the first part mean have the ICS as the headed logo?

And why does the admin contact have to be a member of the ICS? we are only organising the event in aid of the ICS, the event itself has nothing to do with the ICS, the money is just going to them

draffodx wrote: »
    This is up on the DDM now

So were not actually a charity so we dont have a charity number.

Does the first part mean have the ICS as the headed logo?

And why does the admin contact have to be a member of the ICS? we are only organising the event in aid of the ICS, the event itself has nothing to do with the ICS, the money is just going to them

This isn't really the place to resolve this. Our sales team will be able to assist you with this

Just so it's clear - the rules etc., are not set by us - they are set by the IE Domain Registry

Michele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I dont mean to hijack this thread, but OP, why dont you get a .org or .info domain instead. You can get a .info domain from blacknight for around a fiver, and there is no jumping threw hoops to get it.

If this is a charity then I am sure you want to keep running costs as low as possible. It might only be an extra 10 euros, but also think how much time and effort has gone into getting the domain so far.

The other point I would like to make is how your website is perceived by people who are going to be visiting it and hopefully donating to it. The .org TLD was created to enable non-profit making organisations to have a website without spending alot of money on registration costs. If people see your site is a .org, then they know that you are making a concerted effort to reduce costs and therefore more confident that the money they donate is going to the cause.

Like I said, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but wanted to give my 2 cents.

Just out of interest.. would people find it helpful if we were to put together some kind of basic guide to domains? ie. which ones are used for what etc?

• Advertisement

I am sure many people would find that useful.

An overview of how the different TLDs are meant to be used. Also dispel some of the myths?

may well go for a .info or .org, but sponsors seem to be more keen on a .ie

anyway, when I follow the link from the email I get this now

"It seems likely, if you followed this link from an email, that your domain is now fully registered."

syklops wrote: »
    I am sure many people would find that useful.

An overview of how the different TLDs are meant to be used. Also dispel some of the myths?

Ok. I've had something in draft for a couple of months .. I really need to dust it off and actually put it live :)

"It seems likely, if you followed this link from an email, that your domain is now fully registered."
    It's not - I've asked someone in sales to follow up with you

may well go for a .info or .org, but sponsors seem to be more keen on a .ie

anyway, when I follow the link from the email I get this now

Thats probably because they have heard that the IEDR will give free .ie domains to charities, and are not aware that you are not elligible.

http://www.domainregistry.ie/CharityRegs.php
    Ok. I've had something in draft for a couple of months .. I really need to dust it off and actually put it live

If you want someone to proof read it, feel free to send it over.

syklops wrote: »
    If you want someone to proof read it, feel free to send it over.
    Draft = half written :)

Plus I have to find it .. I know it's here somewhere ..

Think Skylops is right on this one, I haven't got time to be jumping through hoops for the IEDR so I'm gonna go with a .org

Is it possible to cancel the .ie registration?

Think Skylops is right on this one, I haven't got time to be jumping through hoops for the IEDR so I'm gonna go with a .org

Is it possible to cancel the .ie registration?
    Just email sales[@]blacknight.com and they'll sort it out

ok i changed to allthewayround.org , in HELM i used to upload the files manually but i cant find the option to upload files in the file manager now, has this option been removed and I'm forced to use an ftp program?

EDIT:

Forget that got it sorted.

Have all files uploaded now but the place holder is still there, do I need to wait so long before my index file gets displayed or do I need to change the name servers?

It would be better if you contacted our support desk with your account details and other details of what you've done etc.,

• Advertisement
Advertisement