Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband is a Joke

• 09-02-2010 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Every day I read either on this site or others, people complaining about their broadband speed. Loads of comments from people saying " I am paying for 8 and only getting 2. The Vodafone posts here are shocking.

Because of my exchange I am on a 2 meg circuit. So the most I can get is 2 meg. To get this i must pay for 3 meg. I have never hit 2 meg ever.
    The max has been 1.5. If I cut back to 1 meg they say i will only get .5 guaranteed. Lately my speed has been really bad

[IMG][/img]711487200.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/711487200.png

Speaking to friends for other countries they say is crazy here how we put up with this sh$t.
    But what to do? Who cares or has the will to do something about it.

I am in Rush Dublin by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Yup, there has been practically zero investment in broadband infrastructure in this country so we are all now feeling this now. Eircom's equipment has been under pressure for years and now more and more providers are reselling it, it just cannot cope anymore....unless your one of the lucky people who can get UPC or fibre your screwed..

the best bit of this joke is, they are all busy rolling out 24mb connections and they dont have the backhaul bandwidth to even support the current connections nevermind new 24mb lines....its all just going to get slower until this is fixed.

Comreg dont have the power to do **** about anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

im having the same issue with irish broadband on fixed wireless

since saturday my connections been 1/5th the speed, 0.55Mb on average download and 0.05Mb upload...

this all started last sat, i rang today, the signal was reset and seemed fine from the base station a few miles away to the antenna on the roof, i pluged direct from the modem we have into 3 different computers and same issue, ill ring again tomorrow and try n sort it its doing my head in

Ive been on this service 2-3 years and this is the first time ive had an issue, it was 2Mb upload/download speed, (upgraded to 3mb for free) and in previous speedtests its been very decent and close and perfectly happy, but since sat its going on a mad one! i like the upload/download speed + no bandwidth limits great contention ratio so i wana get it sorted

any ideas what the dealio is, its so annoying, theres not many houses nearby and never an issue before... in dublin 22..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Had to get rid of IBB around 2 years ago, an absolute farce of an company
    (and it's not like their cheap) and when i called to complain hoping they would
    try and speed me up all I got was ok sir when can we come out to uninstall
    your equipment...

did they come out and uninstall your equipment :o

I've never had an issue since last sat, but i don't live in a housing estate and my phoneline was getting "upgraded" fo about 4 years and this was the only option and cheapist (at the time) i really dont wana swap to a dsl or landline system since the contention ratio's suck and uploading is dire, dont have too many options for it here where im at =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

-=al=- wrote: »
    did they come out and uninstall your equipment :o

I've never had an issue since last sat, but i don't live in a housing estate and my phoneline was getting "upgraded" fo about 4 years and this was the only option and cheapist (at the time) i really dont wana swap to a dsl or landline system since the contention ratio's suck and uploading is dire, dont have too many options for it here where im at =/

Oh they did, so I was with o2 for around a year after that till it went silly, now

lucky enough to be in a town with upc which is all good apart from their sneaky

charges...

• Advertisement

im still lookin around at other services, wonder what would happen if i don everything on upc, is it hassle and awkward to change over? we have eircom phones which is taking the piss, the ntl we have here is shabby we have sky i one room and now irish broadbands messin up! ...what an awkward system... but its the only way we could ever do it due to where we live, im sure there was upgrades since, its been a while before anything was changed around here but surely something was done as of lately... i am ramblin ere alrite!

this internet things really annoyin me now though,

im sure theres some sort of hasle gettin upc too, there always was gettin different services here, anyways ill try n sort it tomo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Every day I read either on this site or others, people complaining about their broadband speed.

Speaking to friends for other countries they say is crazy here how we put up with this sh$t.

But people in other countries arent living in the richest country in the world (or so we were led to believe by the media and Govt a few years ago )
    I laughed when I heard that accolade being touted about.
    Richest country in the world you say .:D
    With our third world broadband, our third world health system,our third world roads infrastructure ,etc etc.
    Some people will believe anything.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

• Sorry I made a mess of the thread title.

I am making the point about broadband in Ireland in general. I am not with the company Irish Broadband. I am with UTV internet. I thought the company IBB were gone out of business. Sorry bad choice of words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

lol anyway...broadband is crap...before i moved into college had to use 3 dongle...which has an average speed of 0.5 or less...couldnt really get any of them last mile broadbands or briski net cause when i went down to order it...they took down my name and never came...and they give u 125kbps speed for 25 euro a month i think...anyway horrible speed for expensive prices ...atleast i got UPC 15Mbps :) atleast UPC stands to its name and delivers 15mpbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

-=al=- wrote:
    im having the same issue with irish broadband on fixed wireless

since saturday my connections been 1/5th the speed, 0.55Mb on average download and 0.05Mb upload...

Where abouts are you? Oddly I've had the same thing on my 4Mb Breeze connection. Rock solid, no real contention issues for the last couple of years until roughly last Saturday and now in the evenings it's suddently gone to crap. ~0.5Mb up and down (so better than your upload!). I noticed though that magically on the dot of 11pm I was back to speeds I've been used to. Wonder what they are up to... Installing/testing WiMax? Not that they'd be doing that in the evenings... I'm on the Wicklow Town mast.

• Advertisement

[IMG][/img]10109196.png

On ps3 on and its lagging :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭LeBash

Ive had nothing but trouble as well. I was delighted when I had a working connection most of the time, nevermind the speeds.

Below is the Ministers email. I have already emailed him complaining about Comregs lack of power (and drive) and the fact it takes 10 (yes TEN) working days to change over ISP's. I suggest a few others email, and it can not be ignored.

eamon.ryan@oireachtas.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I got that wi max from imagine and it was also rubbis. It performed way worse than their slower package I already had so I stayed with the old 4 meg connection. Yes it was way faster and had much lower pings than the 7 meg wi max.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

I've just received a pamphlet from eircom this morning entitled 'changing our broadband experience'

I thought to myself, "fantastic, we are being upgraded". Lo and behold however it was merely yet another self congratulatory plug for their so called 'next generation' 8mb broadband. The same old sh*te that they've been spouting for the last three years.

What a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭__plec__

Well i was with IBB,thought they were decent,never really had a problem. Anyway, got a mail a few months ago to say they were moving to Wi-max and that id be contacted soon to be upgraded...of course this didnt happen, my internet was disconnected and that was that. So rang them up to see what the story was,eventually was put through to the sales team who said id have to set up a NEW account,until they realised they didnt have coverage in my area....its horrible living in an out of bounds area.....probably should mention that i live in dublin city centre,haha. Not sure if the sales person was just feeling lazy, find it very hard to believe they have no coverage in dublin city centre. Anyway,wasnt impressed with how they handled the whole changeover.

I was told 4 different things by about 6 people when I have been on the phones to them! incredibly annoying.. same situation as above... madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

i'm with IBB since 2005....never ever had a problem.
    i have UPC as the main line while IBB keeps going as backup and vpn/email and so on...
    tried to get few more customers on their 4/4 package,no more "radio spectrum /zones" free available...
    so,it can be a singular issue or a local issue but not all the IBB network is problematic because someone has some issues...afaik,reset a modem,check a cable,check PC and then blame the ISP !
    regards

1157710731.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Every day I read either on this site or others, people complaining about their broadband speed. Loads of comments from people saying " I am paying for 8 and only getting 2. The Vodafone posts here are shocking.

Because of my exchange I am on a 2 meg circuit. So the most I can get is 2 meg. To get this i must pay for 3 meg. I have never hit 2 meg ever.
    The max has been 1.5. If I cut back to 1 meg they say i will only get .5 guaranteed. Lately my speed has been really bad

[IMG][/img]711487200.png

YOUR TEST ISP IS ... UTV !! WHY Blame IBB ???

They disabled the old breeze 2/2 service (which what i had) so they could run wimax instead on the same frequency or whatever... but its not available to a lot of the old breeze customers for some reason. I tried to get the breeze 4/4 but im not in that breeze area, nor a wimax area, yet I was before they Upgraded to Wimax!

They're equipment is still here and all set up on the roof, they will come collect it at their nearest convenience since they don't service the area anymore (dublin) So if one of their engineers happens to be in the local area by chance they'll collect it, aparently.

Ridiculous.

And the isp changes a lot on speedtest when you try it, not sure why!

I spend 3 hours on the phone to IBB one day with all sorts of people so any questions about it feel free to ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Why live in a place so poorly serviced? I had 30Mb from UPC and it was always excellent. If you pick a rural place, then expect to get limited services, just like road gritting, etc., . Irish broadband is just fine, but don't expect much better than basic DSL if you live in a seaside town of 8000 people 30km or so to the nearest city.

• Advertisement

n900guy wrote: »
    Why live in a place so poorly serviced? I had 30Mb from UPC and it was always excellent. If you pick a rural place, then expect to get limited services, just like road gritting, etc., . Irish broadband is just fine, but don't expect much better than basic DSL if you live in a seaside town of 8000 people 30km or so to the nearest city.

Good point.
    We will move house next week. Never thought about that before as an option for getting better broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I've plenty to say about the Irish Broadband infrastructure in general, although I will post about this at a later stage. I have a few phone calls to make to Comreg and also Eircom about a few issues I've come across in Ireland.

In the meantime, I highly suggest the OP to change the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I am living in the middle of nowhere just outside of Monaghan Town and all I can get is Eircom's 8MB NGB and I get about 7MB~ (Although, I think SpeedTest.Net is faking the results) because I get rubbish speeds constantly.

I am now refusing to talk to anybody on eircom, because they give they BULL!! all the time.

But one thing that really gets on my nerves about eircom is THEIR CRAP DOWNLOAD ALLOWANCE!!

!!30GB!!! PER FECKIN' MONTH

I am a internet person and a software person so I would be download alot. 30GB would be used within the first 10 days of usage. Whenever I check my broadband stats, I excced it EVERY MONTH and I have been for the past month.

ij6p7Y.PNG
    ij6rGg.PNG

EIRCOM!!! PLEASE INCREASE YOUR DOWNLOAD CAPS FOR THE 8MB PACKAGE!!

*throws a fit* NYEHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

I live in middle of countryside and live get my full 7meg bb since im near enough to exchange

wireless bb by 3 is awful, the vodafone one is poor as well,

Will be getting upc in cork city in next few days , from what ive heard runs at near full speed too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,250 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

[IMG][/img]711487200.png

It's too sweeping a statement to say Ireland's broadband is a joke based on your own personal experience. Other countries have lots of people complaining as well, UK and USA for example. What countries do your friends live in?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/internet-broadband-high-speed-downloads,11796.html

http://www.ukpressreleases.co.uk/UK-Consumers-Complain-of-Poor-Broadband-Speeds-and-Support~123.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DonalKiernan

I am interested in knowing why we cannot have Sky broadband since we have Sky television here in Ireland. Is it that Sky do not want to provide it or that we just don't allow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

@Donal

Because they know how bad BB is over here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

I had 3 installed a month ago and it was poor. I complained and a pair of engineers fitted an outside aerial for me. It is now bloody marvelous. They kept in touch between my complaint and visit and their telephone help was great. 250 allowancwe a month anytime for E20. I live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by hills and trees. Video literaly streams.
    I am more than happy with it. Good price, Good service.

jett wrote: »
    I had 3 installed a month ago and it was poor. I complained and a pair of engineers fitted an outside aerial for me. It is now bloody marvelous. They kept in touch between my complaint and visit and their telephone help was great. 250 allowancwe a month anytime for E20. I live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by hills and trees. Video literaly streams.
    I am more than happy with it. Good price, Good service.

good stuff, may consider the 3 option, 25 gigs aint that bad for 20€

rang ripplecom a month ago yesterday to order a BB service and i still havnt heard back since, yay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

at this point it would be easier just build a new broadband backbone from scratch rather than wait for eircom to upgrade theirs.

Advertisement