Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband is a Joke

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭colm21

utv broadband has got really bad speeds my friend had utv broadband he said its was terrible kept disconnecting at times. im using bt broadband and the speeds seem fine plus they did a deal with me so i got it cheaper. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

jett wrote: »
    I had 3 installed a month ago and it was poor. I complained and a pair of engineers fitted an outside aerial for me. It is now bloody marvelous. They kept in touch between my complaint and visit and their telephone help was great. 250 allowancwe a month anytime for E20. I live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by hills and trees. Video literaly streams.
    I am more than happy with it. Good price, Good service.

Hey Jett, can you say where you're located?

I'm 2 miles from Prosperous, Co. Kildare & would love to get BB of ANY description....no service providers at all!!!:confused:

Except mobile...but it's pretty poor.

Is your 3 BB mobile & are you covered by the NBS?

How did you get them to put up an outside aerial?

I'm with 3 for years on their phone service but the signal's not great in the house!:rolleyes:

We're 35mins & 25 miles from O'Connell Street but NO service!!!:eek:

Unbelieveable!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pslat

Brian I have to agree, Our Irish broadband is a joke. I think that providers should have to be specific on whether they are providing Broadband or "broadband". There seems to be a big difference. I think our European brothers have some directive that says we must all have access to broadband by whenever so the lads are obliging by providing us with "broadband" - ah shure dat'll do dem 110% cuverige we have now yer lordship.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Well after waiting 5 weeks for Ripplecom to come out, after an hour testing, it's not available here in my area, west dublin which is also 25 mins from o'connell street!

Better look into that 3 service also, I really can't think of any more services available here and have no other ideas

and to be frank it's getting out of hand at this stage... on the meteor broadband atm but 7.5 gigs a month is not good enough, need wifi back in the house for all the systems, 25gigs on 3 probably more reasonable, but im just getting annoyed at the whole ridiculous process at this stage

Can't find anything on installing an aerial for 3 broadband, any info on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Did you try Digiweb Metro. I'm S.W. Dublin, Neigbour uses them with little trouble.

• Advertisement

paddyk wrote: »
    Did you try Digiweb Metro. I'm S.W. Dublin, Neigbour uses them with little trouble.

Yup, not available, thing is i ordered digiweb metro myself then was abroad for 2 weeks... they rang when I was away and someone else in the house who is clueless about broadband got a phonecall saying its not available in the area and that was about it apparently

They never even came out to the house. I done the location checker, ordered it all and gave the details. I really thought that would have been available, and would love to know what the reason behind it not being available was!

Meteor stuff is costing me a fortune, and I went over my mobile phone internet data limit today and left an app on that checks emails every 4 hours since last night... have 1.83 credit left from 15 yesterday! :mad: sick of it all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

They instal an outside aerial for you if the original repeater does not work.
    They have a good "complaints" sysytem by telephone.
    For instance it packed up on tuesday, I rang them and they told me the transmitter had a fault and that they would text me when it was working.
    It worked next day and I was texted as well.
    Unlike virtually everything else in Eire this lot at least have a customer service with a human at the end.
    The allowance is great. The speed is adequate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Just got Ripplecom in in the last hour!!!

Delighted to finally be able to get a provider!!:)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1194657860.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1194663501.png

Thanks for the update Jett!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

keredern wrote: »

Hi, have you looked at http://bbneighbourhood.com

It's just been developed for boards.ie for this exact purpose...

To save you posting speedtests in threads ... as it's not easy to see where the performance issues are and which broadband is best in a specific area.

You need to use your facebook login before you can add
    but you can look without login...I will add Google login soon when I get time...

Please give it a look...

I would love if it was make into a sticky so people know about it...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

It's interesting that in the UK there is an enquiry abouts the speed received not being what is advertised. They are complaining they are only getting 8 mbs, at my 2.6 mps maximum 0.5 mps evenings here I wonder are we on the same planet. The annoying thing is they always blaim our system in the house

• Advertisement

keredern wrote: »

good stuff they were out to me this week to tell me i coulnt't get it, nice to know it works somewhere none the less!

probably have to get 3 broadband now, they seem to be the only service i can get that offer the least lame data limits, sick of it all tbh living where i am and not being able to get anything

is it possible to get an internet service from 3 that can use your own modem and router? ...ive 2 pc's and consoles and mobile phones etc.. on the network here with a nice wirless N router, is there a service from 3 that can let me use my own router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

After about 8 or so years of waiting UPC are finally rolling out in to my area.

30mb/100mb broadband here I come!

To be fair to Vodafone (Formerly BT) i've never had too many issues. I'm on the 24mb package and I almost always get 10Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pslat

Does anyone know if there is a specific definition of broadband? It would be good to have a legal definition to determine if what we are being provided with meets those standards. All you can eat for 50 million quid doesn't really sound like it..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

lol anyway...broadband is crap...before i moved into college had to use 3 dongle...which has an average speed of 0.5 or less...couldnt really get any of them last mile broadbands or briski net cause when i went down to order it...they took down my name and never came...and they give u 125kbps speed for 25 euro a month i think...anyway horrible speed for expensive prices ...atleast i got UPC 15Mbps :) atleast UPC stands to its name and delivers 15mpbs

:|

i live within 1/4 of a mile of the local source and well... im paying for unlimited and it goes anywhere between 4 to 40 mbps...

swings and round-a-bouts i guess.

pslat wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a specific definition of broadband? It would be good to have a legal definition to determine if what we are being provided with meets those standards. All you can eat for 50 million quid doesn't really sound like it..:mad:

at least 4mb is official broadbanf or something

it's rather annoying about companies advertising a broadband service when its not

i know speends cant be gauranteed but they're all "up to" a number, the number increases every fockin year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here's an article to cheer up the majority of the country with rubbish net access. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a309289/virgins-100mbps-broadband-tops-1m-homes.html

Wow, impressive! 100Mbps with 1,000,000 subscribers. They're 6 years ahead of their targets and we're at least 6 years behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The title should be changed to "Eircom is a joke and UPC lie".
    But all in all UPC are good - not great but hardly a joke.
    Oh if your in the country yes, but no offense, there isnt even council plumbing in mayo for example.

3g in this country is shambolic - but it is overpriced pretty much everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 humps

Why can anyone tell me? Is broadband so bad in Ireland:confused: This is the 21st century isnt it all I want is high speed broadband Im in Athy kildare:o.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Have you ever met a civil servant in the department of communications ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement