Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time - Mental Health 9.30pm Tues 9th

• 09-02-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

any comments, write below.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Argh too late for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Pretty sad viewing. John Moloney seems OK, although significant investment should have been made when the country was awash with money and I can't really seem him making significant inroads. Still, better than Willie O' Dea being in charge of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

It's a shame it takes personal experience for a Minister to take an active interest in Mental Health - but it's good he said that he did have a problem, and that he is taking an interest. Unfortunately the money - €43million- is coming from sale of lands from old hospitals.

I just wish that clinicians (from all professions) were involved in decision-making, and not just administrators and Consultant Psychiatrists. But then, we might say (in Dublin, anyway) that the administrative boundaries are detrimental to the people. Dublin should have its own administrative district in the HSE and not be divided up in 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

It was a shocking and very sad programme to watch.
    But as I watched it I couldn't help but feel that there was too much emphasis being put on the physical state of the buildings. While I know that is important, and they are in a shocking state, I was hoping there would be some questioning of the manner in which we treat mentally ill people in general. It was touched on in the emphasis on community care, but not really explored - Miriam was saying it is unacceptable that we 'lock people away' but seemed to be saying that the reason this is unacceptable is because the buildings are unsuitable, rather than questioning the treatment and care itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Kooli wrote: »
    Miriam was saying it is unacceptable that we 'lock people away' but seemed to be saying that the reason this is unacceptable is because the buildings are unsuitable, rather than questioning the treatment and care itself.

Well it wasn't her job in this show to cover what is and isn't acceptable modern mental health treatment or the laws around it.

IMHO, you can tell all you need to know about a service based on the cleanliness of the rooms and quality e.g., of even the filing system. If it's a mess in the small things, chances are high it's a mess higher up. It's like trying to pretend you are an industrialised country with a lousy road network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

I just wish that clinicians (from all professions) were involved in decision-making, and not just administrators and Consultant Psychiatrists.

It's unlikely that consultants have any say in whether they feel patients should be continued to be treated in such appalling conditions. They have been pretty vocal about improving the services given to people, yet funding has been stripped from mental health for decades now, staff not replaced, etc., etc., . It's a cindarella service at best and suicide, despite being the biggest killer of young males, doesn't get Gay Byrne's Stamp Of Almighty Approval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Dissed Doc, I meant that when the money comes in, the Consultants will have a say in how it should be spent, and services organised. Other professions don't seem to have a voice. I'm glad some consultants do make a furore in the media about the state of the health service as the rest of us are effectively gagged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Kooli wrote: »
    It was a shocking and very sad programme to watch.
    But as I watched it I couldn't help but feel that there was too much emphasis being put on the physical state of the buildings. While I know that is important, and they are in a shocking state, I was hoping there would be some questioning of the manner in which we treat mentally ill people in general. It was touched on in the emphasis on community care, but not really explored - Miriam was saying it is unacceptable that we 'lock people away' but seemed to be saying that the reason this is unacceptable is because the buildings are unsuitable, rather than questioning the treatment and care itself.

so you think we should simply allow everyone who is not the full schilling ( no matter how deranged ) walk free , typical wooly liberal mentality

Advertisement