Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such thing as a Fiancee Visa (Ireland)

Options
  • 09-02-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,

Wondering if someone can maybe shed some light on this. I am engaged to a man from Brasil and we are due to be married in June after living together for the last 3 years. However at the moment his Student Visa means he can only work 20 hours a week.

My question is does a "Fiancee Visa" exist that would allow him to work full time. We could really do with the extra money right now.

Thanks for any help or advice you feel will help. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

The answer is no. In fact even after you're married he doesn't have an automatic right to work full time, because he first has to be granted residency on the basis of being married to an Irish citizen. This is usually just a matter of routine for people of certain nationalities (US, Canadian, NZ, Aus) but others often find they have to formally apply and wait approximately 18 months for approval. It seems to be pretty much at the whim of the immigration officer whether to grant immediate residency or make you apply for it - so when you go to apply, make sure you bring absolutely everything you have to demonstrate that yours is a real marriage.

The other alternative is that he can apply for residency now based on being in a long-term relationship. You have to write to Burgh Quay with evidence of the length of the relationship, in particular you should document the fact that you've lived together for three years, copies of the wedding invitations etc. I'm not sure how long these applications are taking at the moment.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my irish friends fiancee was american, she got a fiancee visa but was not allowed to work at all on the visa.

have another another irish friend married to an american who cannot get a visa for ireland even though they are married (just a holiday visa)

so best of luck with it all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement