Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's First Closed Road Cycle Event set for Clare

• 09-02-2010 11:02pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Around 2,000 biking fans are set to saddle up for the country’s first closed road cycle event, organisers announced today.

Competitors of all ages and skill levels can take part in August’s Sky Ride Etape Hibernia race, which is also expected to attract a number of top pro cyclists.

An 80 mile course in Co Clare has been chosen for the event, starting and finishing in Ennis and taking in some of the county’s most spectacular coastline.

Launching the cycle race in Spanish Point, West Clare, organisers said anyone aged between 18 and 80 could take part.

“We expect to draw enthusiasts, the health conscious, challenge-seekers, charity fundraisers and lapsed cyclists,” Jo Dytch from sports and entertainment company IMG said.

“It affords cyclists with the unique opportunity to cycle safely on closed roads, whilst rising to the physical challenge at the same time.”

Meanwhile, tourism chiefs said the August 22 event would help pump money into the local economy and beyond.

“This event allows us to harness the growing popularity of cycling to the natural charms and allure of Co Clare and the Mid West,” Failte Ireland’s Keith McCormack added.

“As well as bringing visitors and revenue to the area, the event will provide an excellent opportunity to showcase the Shannon region as both a cycling destination in particular, and a tourism must-see in general.”

:: More information can be found at www.etapehibernia.com

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/ireland-set-for-first-closed-road-cycle-event-445509.html#ixzz0f4wKiGXO

Route map here

http://www.etapehibernia.com/images/PDFs/EH_Route_Map.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Nice route. The run from Black Head to Spanish Point has fantastic scenery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Looks like a nice cycle alright, I was worried about them closing off Ennis, but it's a Sunday and with the by-pass and everything I would imagine it would be fine, should bring a bit of buzz to the town as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

The road from Ennis to Miltown, through Kilmaley is also great scenery,, expecially around the hand hill.

We might even get the potholes filled!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would prefere to do this on my motorbike. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Looks good, thats going to require a lot of marshals, support vehicles etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If I'm doing this, will they have ambulances, oxygen, stretchers, etc...?
    It's been a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

If I'm doing this, will they have ambulances, oxygen, stretchers, etc...?
    It's been a while...
    well at least one of each :p

Yes, its a fully marshalled event with first aid backup. Very profoessional set up if their ETAPE caledonia is anything to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Someone else

Looking forward to it already....

I'd give anything for closed roads on other cycles

eg. ROK in early July and "Tour de Munster" in August

Advertisement