Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banjo lessons

Options
  • 09-02-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

anyone know of anyone that teachs the banjo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Lot's of people.

Firstly are you playing tenor or 5 string?
    And where are you located?
    Style you want to play?

Since it's the trad forum I'm gonna take a chance and say you want to play trad on a tenor banjo.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Anyone teaching Irish banjo near Skerries, North county Dublin?

Mallards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chip4par

I am trying to learn the tenor banjo after a friend gave me a refurbished 17 fret for Christmas last year. I found a web site, www.irish-banjo.com that really got me going. I would like to continue but the web site has disappeared. Does anyone know about it or what might have happened to it?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a DVD or lesson package for the banjo? I am considering Gerry O'Connor's beginner lessons.

I live in Florida and can't find any teachers near me, or many stores that even stock the tenor banjo.

Oh, I'm kinda old - 63! but willing to practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

you can get much of the tab needed for tunes on the internet, by looking for mandolin tabulature.

then you can use youtube to get the feel for the tune and its timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

Ceoltoiri Chluain Tarbh teach the tenor (Irish) banjo. They are based on the northside in Marino College, Marino Mart. Their website is www.cluaintarbh.net

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Trad_Flute90

I regularly play with an exellent banjo player called Richard Pyne. He lives on the south side, in the Stillorgan area. He is an experienced teacher with a good few students (both children and adults) already, but I'm sure he can find time for a few more pupils.

Thanks for the info, but I'm looking for someone closer to Skerries as by the time I get home from work, it would be too late to travel too far from Skerries.

Cheers,

Mallards.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

mallards

drop us Pm and I will hoke out the details of a lad for you i was only told about him on sat night but i live in naas so hes no good to me but i think he was out your way

thanks paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

Cheers Paddy,

PM sent.

Mallards.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

Chip4par wrote: »
    I am trying to learn the tenor banjo after a friend gave me a refurbished 17 fret for Christmas last year. I found a web site, www.irish-banjo.com that really got me going. I would like to continue but the web site has disappeared. Does anyone know about it or what might have happened to it?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a DVD or lesson package for the banjo? I am considering Gerry O'Connor's beginner lessons.

I live in Florida and can't find any teachers near me, or many stores that even stock the tenor banjo.

Oh, I'm kinda old - 63! but willing to practice!

Not sure if he does lessons on the cd but try
    www.kieranhanrahanbanjo.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 pipeline3

I am in city centre and teach tenor banjo, mandolin and bouzouki. pm for further details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JC Planning

I regularly play with an exellent banjo player called Richard Pyne. He lives on the south side, in the Stillorgan area. He is an experienced teacher with a good few students (both children and adults) already, but I'm sure he can find time for a few more pupils.

Hi I noticed your post regarding banjo lessons in the Stillorgan area - I'm actually looking for lessons in the area, do you think your contact is still taking on students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 David Whelan Music

MUSIC LESSONS ATHY

Guitar Lessons
    Tenor Banjo Lessons
    Mandolin Lessons

Irish traditional and popular music lessons for all ages and levels.
    We also run group classes that perform locally.

Call David BA(Hons)Music Degree:0851601072
    Email: Irishd_180@Hotmail.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/music.lessons.athy.kildare.guitar

Advertisement