Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating, am I entitled to claim state help until I get on my feet?

Options
  • 10-02-2010 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a querey that I really hope someone can help with. I'm considering relocating from Dublin to Rathdrum Co. Wicklow. Reason being recent pay cuts in my current job and extortionate cost of living. My girlfriend also has family in the area.

I haven't been jobless since leaving school 10+ years ago. I have never claimed any state benefits of any kind.

My girlfriend, who I will be sharing a house with in Rathdrum, is a recently qualified teacher who claims the equivelant of Job seeks allowance as she substiutes for absent teachers odd days here and there.

The commute from Rathdrum to my current job in North Dublin would be far too much (2hrs+ on public transport, I don't drive).

My question is this, can I claim any state help until I get on my feet and get a new job? Depending on availability of employment I would be hoping to find something within a month or so of moving.

I really hope someone 'in the know' can shed some light on this, or if anyone has been through a similar situation help and good advice would be very much appreciated. If any more info is needed, please just let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭kingbrumak

Can anyone help? Or can anyone suggest where I would go to find this out?

Tearing my hair out trying to get info at this stage! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

These are maybe your best bet unless someone replies with similar experience;

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

I really don't think Social Welfare extends to supporting those who aren't 'happy' with their current situation, want to quit their job, move county and find a new one.....thats quite a stretch to expect government assistance for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

There'd be a few factors here.

1. There would be no problem with you going to whatever local office deals with Rathdrum and making your claim as soon as you get down there. Thats fine.

2. Depending on your contribution history you'd qualify for Benefit or Assistance. Benefit is totally contribution based so you'd receive a flat rate regardless of your other half working or claiming.
    Assistance is means tested but if your OH is already claiming on a casual basis and working the odd day it probably wouldn't affect your payment that much if at all.

3. There could be a possible dissallowance for leaving your current job as you voluntarily left. The dissallowance is up to 9 weeks depending on circumstances but if you make a good case for leaving the job and moving to Wicklow I doubt you'd be dissallowed.

There are other smaller points like self employment etc etc, but in a nutshell thats what you're looking at.

Alternatively you could look for new employment in the new area whilst still in your current job, and when it arises, make the move confident that you don't need to depend on anyone/anything else to support your choice. Is it strange that I would have assumed thats what people moving area would be trying to do??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

kingbrumak wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a querey that I really hope someone can help with. I'm considering relocating from Dublin to Rathdrum Co. Wicklow. Reason being recent pay cuts in my current job and extortionate cost of living. My girlfriend also has family in the area.

I haven't been jobless since leaving school 10+ years ago. I have never claimed any state benefits of any kind.

My girlfriend, who I will be sharing a house with in Rathdrum, is a recently qualified teacher who claims the equivelant of Job seeks allowance as she substiutes for absent teachers odd days here and there.

The commute from Rathdrum to my current job in North Dublin would be far too much (2hrs+ on public transport, I don't drive).

My question is this, can I claim any state help until I get on my feet and get a new job? Depending on availability of employment I would be hoping to find something within a month or so of moving.

I really hope someone 'in the know' can shed some light on this, or if anyone has been through a similar situation help and good advice would be very much appreciated. If any more info is needed, please just let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Don't give up the job till you've got one closer to Rathdrum.

Thank you Funkfield, at least now I have an idea of what track I should be following. I will have to do a little more research and find out what my best option is. Thank you again for your advice.

Eden - I would advise that you keep your smart comments to yourself if you can't be of any help. When you don't understand a situation fully it's very easy to judge.

kingbrumak wrote: »
    Eden - I would advise that you keep your smart comments to yourself if you can't be of any help. When you don't understand a situation fully it's very easy to judge.

Thanks for the advice, however there was nothing smart about my comments, you seem certain you'll find employment in a month or so, so why not seek that employment now, and move with the confidence that financial matters are secure and you've nothing to worry about....but hey if you wish to quit your job without that security its up to you. Nothing smart about applying a bit of common sense. Opting to rely on a social welfare system thats running low on cash (and therefore getting tighter all the time) seems risky to me.

Thanks for the advice, however there was nothing smart about my comments, you seem certain you'll find employment in a month or so, so why not seek that employment now, and move with the confidence that financial matters are secure and you've nothing to worry about....but hey if you wish to quit your job without that security its up to you. Nothing smart about applying a bit of common sense. Opting to rely on a social welfare system thats running low on cash (and therefore getting tighter all the time) seems risky to me.

Apologies for snapping at you Eden, just a bit frustrated with the whole system at the moment.

Advertisement