Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The whole procedure

• 10-02-2010 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Iv only got the one tattoo, so Im basically new to the whole thing, so I have some questions. Im calling on the likes of Will, because I know you will have spent alot of time hangin around the various shops and so on, to answer my questions.

Towards the end of this month, should I have the money, Ill be looking to get my shin inked up. Ill want to go into a shop and have some face time with the artist, have them draw up what I want and be able to give my own lil bit of input so they get the piece perfect.

Now, lets say I love the piece they draw up, and decide to get the tattoo then and there, if and when I zen out while getting the tattoo, lose track of time.. and effectively, get more of a tattoo than I can pay for, what will happen? Will the artist just take my word for it that I will definitely come back a.s.a.p (could be up to a week) with the money I owe? or.. will I be asked to stay and work off what I owe? like ya see in the shows where people are made clean dishes to pay for the meal they've had.. if ya get me?

Iv rambled, help please.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

The situation shouldn't happen, cos they should give you a quote of what it will cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Ah, ok. Would I be correct in assuming most, if not all artists will request I pay a deposit for them to draw up the design?

Also, when I got my first tattoo I wasnt given a quote, I was just told where to lie, asked if I liked the positioning of the stensil and then set upon by a large man and his machine. It was only after the completion that I was told "..now for the painful part, the cost, haha. Stefan how much?!," the owner shouted to the artist "mmm.. 130," he said, I promptly sh!t myself as after they had taken 50 from me for the deposit, I only had 80 euro on me.. luckily for me the owner of the shop deducted the deposit from the 130 HENCE me starting this thread. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Well i'd assume you'd be told the price before the tattoist starts.. So they'd only do the amount of work you could pay for...

SV wrote: »
    Well i'd assume you'd be told the price before the tattoist starts.. So they'd only do the amount of work you could pay for...

Check my edit, in the post above yours, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Check my edit, in the post above yours, cheers.

ah yeah.
    I'd definitely say that isn't the norm..

just fairly handy, ask for the FULL price before they start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Any deposit you pay should be detracted from the cost of the tattoo, so like in your previous experience, the 50 was taken off the 130, and left you with 80 to pay.

Just make sure to ask for a price beforehand so you can pay them!

Alright, cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

if it's a big piece definitely try and get a quote up front (where possible). Otherwise you pay by the hour - so in the end it could run over time, and you may end up paying more.

Advertisement