Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front rack (Poerteur)

Options
  • 10-02-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that sells front porteur racks. Similar to this one:

http://www.velo-orange.com/voporteurrack.html

Cant find any hits on Google for suppliers remotely close to here. They all seem to be from USA.

Thanks,

Paul
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

WorkCycles in Amsterdam makes a heavy duty frame-mounted front carrier, but I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Henry, the guy who runs the site, is quite adamant that frame-mounting is the only way to go for a load-bearing carrier.

http://workcycles.com/workbike/bicycles/accessories/pickup-frame-mounted-front-carrier.html

pickup-frame-front-carrier-420.jpg

Might be worth mentioning this bike in passing too, though I'm guessing it's unlikely that they do the rack separately. There's one in Cycleways at the moment.

http://www.globebikes.com/gb/en/globe/GlobeBike.jsp?pid=10LIVE1

productImages_5631-1-8823_372_247_False.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Yeah I seen the globe the other day which is where I really got the idea, it has a deadly rack on the front. Not sure i'd buy it though.

That rack looks good, never seen that site before. I read that the rack can slip on and off easily, I wonder how dangerous this is when travelling? I might email him for more picks about attachment. Nice find though, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Hi

I bought a 5-rail porteur rack from this guy in the US. Best accessory i have ever bought for a bike, ever. I think this is close to what you are looking for.

Like you i searched high and low for a more local supplier, but he turns out to be a nice chap to deal with. He was kind enough to undeclare the value of it for US customs, which meant i didn't have to pay any customs charges when it arrived here, though don't broadcast that.

I had a look at the CETMA alright, fairly expensive though with shipping no? The other one is 80 and isn't attached to the front. Although I have no objections to front mounting, frame mounting seems to actually make sense, I'm just worried about movement. Does there be movement in the CETMA?

I'm hoping to put a wooden crate on it similar to this except I'll make it myself because 120 for a wooden box is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

I agree with the Cetma rack, great build quality, I've carried a fully loaded copy box (A4) on it no problem.

Also didn't get stung for customs, which is nice. Don't hold your breath though, if ordering one, as Lane who builds them is a bit of a flake and not very good at returning emails or answering skype calls... mine was about 6 weeks later than promised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

yes, there was a bit of a delay with mine too, just remembering now.

I've managed to carry one load of bord na mona's finest on a short run and it remained admirably rigid.

The great thing about this rack is its versatility. The one with rails tends to undermine that a bit, nice thought they are.

I like it so much, i even did a blog posting on it here.

sexpot wrote: »
    Yeah I seen the globe the other day which is where I really got the idea, it has a deadly rack on the front. Not sure i'd buy it though.

That rack looks good, never seen that site before. I read that the rack can slip on and off easily, I wonder how dangerous this is when travelling? I might email him for more picks about attachment. Nice find though, thanks

Have a look at the transport bikes and the city bikes on the site. Some of them have the rack already mounted, so should give a good idea of how it works. (See the photo below as well.)

He mentions (in the text accompanying the image I posted) that you can put a lock or anti-theft bolt onto it, but that's a security measure. I don't think the rack is at all loose or unstable when loaded.

It's also worth noting this:
    Fitting this carrier usually requires some adaptation and thus workshop skills. The Pickup is designed for heavy duty city bikes with steel frames, relaxed geometry and no front rim brake. The Pickup mount will fit straight downtubes up to 32mm (or larger if you are VERY handy). It will generally NOT FIT hybrids or mtn bikes.

PS This is the bike I occasionally drool over... :)

fr8-x-pu-lux-480.jpg

Yeah, some really nice bikes on that site. If I'd known about them I mightn't have got the pashley. Seems like more love has gone into them. The more I look at the Pashley the more I see that if anything goes wrong, the part will usually have to come from Pashley, therefore will be very expensive. Still love it all the same.

I think the mounting on the Fr8 and all have holes already made for them. The rack will have to held on with the clinchers on my bike. I'll also have to move the light which isn't that big a problem.

I think I might go for the workbikes one, half the price of the CETMA and looks a bit more maneuverable. I'm sure it can take a fair weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I did a search and found this old thread, which asked the question I want to ask, but now has a lot of dead links. Perhaps there is a place now that meets the original question: anywhere in Dublin that sells front porteur racks?

I was thinking of adding one to my touring bike. The only problem there might be is that it has cantilever brakes, and the straddle wire doesn't leave much of an angle for any strut that might run to the mudguard hole at the crown of the fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I got one built for 60 euro, nice raw porteur 30x30 cm. The beauty to buy from a welder is that you can get it made exactly the way you want it...
    This one in particular for its design does not interfere with the cantis as you clamp it directly to the bar.
    Obviously it isn't good for a touring bike, not at all...
    What you want if you tour is a rear rack, a frame rack and if you are looking at a front one, get those low racks for loading bags as low as possible, like the Tara. A Porteur looks very nice indeed, but they're just for posing, not touring...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hi! I had a look at SJS cycles, as they're always good for practical stuff, but I wasn't sure whether I could get the strut under the straddle wire on ones I saw there. I'll have a close look at that one.

On the suitability for touring, that's probably true, but this is really for spontaneous shopping with one pannier. My general-purpose bike just happens to be a touring bike. I should have made that clear!

I've Ikea-hacked a side basket for the rear rack, but there's a bit of complex geometry and stacking on the rear rack when I end up buying a lot, and I was thinking maybe a front rack I could strap things onto would be nice. Also would be a good place to mount a light, as I've grown to like having the headlight a little lower than the handlebars from the experience of my bakfiets.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    On the suitability for touring, that's probably true, but this is really for spontaneous shopping with one pannier. My general-purpose bike just happens to be a touring bike. I should have made that clear!

I've Ikea-hacked a side basket for the rear rack, but there's a bit of complex geometry and stacking on the rear rack when I end up buying a lot, and I was thinking maybe a front rack I could strap things onto would be nice. Also would be a good place to mount a light, as I've grown to like having the headlight a little lower than the handlebars from the experience of my bakfiets.

it makes sense so... I love mine on my Gazzetta.
    For shopping purposes you may also consider a Wald basket.

clod71 wrote: »
    For shopping purposes you may also consider a Wald basket.
    That is interesting!

That is interesting!

Maybe the Wald 198 Multi-Fit Basket is all you need... :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001B16T8O?ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAM3d&linkCode=g12&tag=thewire04-21

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Would u mind posting a pic of the rack you had made?
    clod71 wrote: »
    I got one built for 60 euro, nice raw porteur 30x30 cm. The beauty to buy from a welder is that you can get it made exactly the way you want it...
    This one in particular for its design does not interfere with the cantis as you clamp it directly to the bar.
    Obviously it isn't good for a touring bike, not at all...
    What you want if you tour is a rear rack, a frame rack and if you are looking at a front one, get those low racks for loading bags as low as possible, like the Tara. A Porteur looks very nice indeed, but they're just for posing, not touring...

bsb1971 wrote: »
    Would u mind posting a pic of the rack you had made?

They're not great pictures, but here you get the idea...
    https://odonegan.blogspot.com/2019/03/il-gazzetta-2019-con-il-rack-di-aldo.html

If you go to Aldo's website, you'll find a better picture of it...
    He makes two basic models and my one is the second from the top, but obviously if you have a full wallet in your pockets, you can get that customised to your own requirements.

http://almancicli.com/components/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

These guys are in the UK, I've bought from them before...no issues!!

http://freshtripe.co.uk/accessories/racks/front-rack/

anywhere in Dublin that sells front porteur racks?

I don't have any Dublin recommendations, but I suspect Greenaer might be able to help.

If you're happy to shop online, David Hembrow's Dutch Bike Bits shop has a section on luggage and racks: https://www.dutchbikebits.com/luggage-racks-and-accessories I'm sure he could answer any questions you might have about fitting etc.

Thanks everyone! Very helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I have a Garlacycles one for sale in my Adverts if you're interested.

29717014-316174682240301-3284235803328249856-n.jpg
    upload pic

Hi! I can't buy it for a few months, as I've got to get the kids new bikes first, but thank you!

That does look like it would do the trick, if I got some p-clips (my original fork got damaged, and the replacement doesn't have the mid-fork holes). If it hasn't sold in a few months, I'll check back on it.

Advertisement