Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio Shock 2 now its out what do you think

Options
  • 10-02-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Ok now you got it.

Your first impressions,

I loved the first game so much, I was blown away by the how unique it was the atmosphere etc, playing bio shock 2 it has the main elements of bio shock that i Love,

But I have to say im not warming to the big daddy character at all.

I don’t like the movement of the big daddy, it’s slow and annoying.

What are people’s thoughts so far?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yeah its good. more of the same really thus far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I think both of you's summed it up pretty much.

But I love bioshock so am a bit of a fanboi,will be completely oblivious to its faults.Havent tried on-line yet is it any good?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Very very similar to the original so far. Not saying that's a bad thing but it feels like I started playing Bioshock 1 again after giving up on it again.

Maybe it's just me, and maybe I'm not far into the game yet, but it hasn't started as well as Bioshock 1. Nothing so far has made me say "wow, thats cool". The subtle touches seem to be missing. For example, in Bioshock 1, you encounter a
    mother splicer looking into a pram and talking to her child, only for it to pull out a gun instead.

Am playing it on hard from the start. Tough so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Very very similar to the original so far. Not saying that's a bad thing but it feels like I started playing Bioshock 1 again after giving up on it again.

Maybe it's just me, and maybe I'm not far into the game yet, but it hasn't started as well as Bioshock 1. Nothing so far has made me say "wow, thats cool". The subtle touches seem to be missing. For example, in Bioshock 1, you encounter a
    mother splicer looking into a pram and talking to her child, only for it to pull out a gun instead.

Am playing it on hard from the start. Tough so far.

playing it on hard myself, i feel its lacking something.

i hope the big daddy turns me around, i just dont like it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

It feels shorter than the first one - I completed the single player on one ending (on normal) and overall, it's really Bioshock 1.5... The graphics, overall style, plasmids, most enemies are exactly the same as the first one. And even though the story gets engaging enough (especially near the end), it doesn't pull you in as much as the first did, neither does it have any huge plot twists IMO.

The hacking mini-game changes are for the better but on the other hand, what's the point of the
    outside sections, walking on the ocean floor? You can't do anything other than walk from A to B...

I still enjoyed it and will probably play through it again for the alternate ending, but it doesn't have the charm or awesomeness of the first one - feels more like a large expansion pack than a brand new game...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

How long is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well i got it yesterday. loved it so far. And i love that its bioshock 1.5, loved the first one. I just whanted more of same!

I am a fanboy of bioshock, and i am proud of it. You like it or not ;)

Havent tryed multiplayer yet, but as long as that goes, it could just not even be in game... i did not care much about it...

drill hnd, i whant IRL on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

J-blk wrote: »

I still enjoyed it and will probably play through it again for the alternate ending, but it doesn't have the charm or awesomeness of the first one - feels more like a large expansion pack than a brand new game...

Cheers, this confirms it as a rental or cheap pick up down the line for me, too many unfinished games sitting unloved to get through already.

(I'm looking at you borderlands, with your open ended gameplay and DLC :mad:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Yep, Bioshock 1.5, thats a good way to sum it up. Extra-large DLC for Bioshock 1 is another way.

I do like the new hacking system, it's way better than the old one which became boring fast.

It seems one Boardsie has already completed it. It looks like I won't be keping it beyond a week so!

Mr E wrote: »
    How long is it?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it took me around 12 hours total... I didn't bother exploring every nook and cranny though, just followed the main story really. Playing on hard from the onset may be a good idea because I found normal to be way too easy: there are ridiculous amount of first aid kits and eve hypos dropped around the place, so surviving even Big Daddy
    or Big Sister
    fights is pretty easy. I think I only died once or twice the entire way through and it was purely by accident :).

• Advertisement

I'm not 100% sure but I think it took me around 12 hours total... I didn't bother exploring every nook and cranny though, just followed the main story really. Playing on hard from the onset may be a good idea because I found normal to be way too easy: there are ridiculous amount of first aid kits and eve hypos dropped around the place, so surviving even Big Daddy
    or Big Sister
    fights is pretty easy. I think I only died once or twice the entire way through and it was purely by accident :).

what difficulty you played? i am playing on hard, and died loads of times :D. first big sister encounter was really hard, had only 1 med kit left over and feck all ammo :D

J said "normal" on an earlier post.
    I think I'll go for hard (if Zavvi ever deliver the damn thing).

Yep, "normal" - and like I said, I think "hard" makes more sense, as it's too easy otherwise...

Yep, "normal" - and like I said, I think "hard" makes more sense, as it's too easy otherwise...

well you are big daddy! :D

btw am i the only one, who allmoust cryed of the opening scene :o. That really set me up to get that B*TCH!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

very good so far.

read in another thread that the drill is satisfying. it isnt. its crap, and i only use it when i need to. So far so good. Story is very enthralling... might I say, its probably better than the first one, so far.

Big Daddys movements dont bother me too much.

The multiplayer element is fun, but gets weary after a while (that and I top the leaderboard on every match :D)

EDIT: Also, the game runs on a P4 3.0ghz, with 2gb ram and a 6600GT, which is below system requirements, at a smooth enough framerate (about 30-35) on mid/low settings at 1024 x 768.

read in another thread that the drill is satisfying. it isnt. its crap, and i only use it when i need to.

There's a helluva lot of drill updates to get throughout the game, both via "Power to the People" weapon upgrades and tonics. If upgraded, the drill is pretty powerful, even against Big Daddies. Though on the other hand, you can upgrade other things to do huge damage to everything as well, especially the plasmids and those are far more fun to use :D (I still get a chuckle out of "frying" splicers standing in water though it's not a new thing...).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There's a helluva lot of drill updates to get throughout the game, both via "Power to the People" weapon upgrades and tonics. If upgraded, the drill is pretty powerful, even against Big Daddies. Though on the other hand, you can upgrade other things to do huge damage to everything as well, especially the plasmids and those are far more fun to use :D (I still get a chuckle out of "frying" splicers standing in water though it's not a new thing...).

I know, i have a lot of the drill upgrades now. Dunno, just dont find that part of the game as satisfying as it could have been :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

fcuk off microsoft live.

damn right drill is awesome! :D Thought allways low on fuel :p. Its still amazing even withouth fuel, freeze, then 1 shot bang splicer :p. I am pumping upgrades on drill and shotgun. 2 moust satisfying pew pew items in game :D, outside plasmids ofc!

Just got mine favorite plasmids: ICE BABE ICE! :D

Just got mine favorite plasmids: ICE BABE ICE! :D

Yep, winter blast rocks - I made the mistake of upgrading lightning/fire first but near the end of the game I went straight to level 3 winter blast and it rocks :D. Plus, you can freeze splicers, then use telekinisis to throw the frozen enemies onto other enemies :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I really like it, it is the same as Bioshock1 with a few differences/extras but that doesn't put me off. Im nearly finished it and Im planning on a second play through.

The drill is disappointing for me in that it should Sound more dangerous. In B1, the drill sounded like a proper industrial "**** off" drill, but when you now get to use it, it sounds like an old fart of a thing.
    Shotgun
    seems out of place compared to other weapons.
    Machine gun
    is fun

Grimebox wrote: »
    fcuk off microsoft live.

This.
    I dont know why but I hate MS live despite not actually using it.
    Whats the consensus on multiplayer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing on normal with vita chambers off. Makes a big difference to difficulty, but the autosave system on PS3 anyway is a little wonky as it only saves at the start of the level so have to keep manually saving as levels tend to last for an hour or two.

I'm enjoying it so far. The atmosphere is retained, as is the general structure, and the overall gameplay seems smoother. Big fan of the
    gathering
    sessions - line up fifteen or twenty
    trap rivets
    and snicker in a corner while picking off the one or two splicers who make it through is always an appealing strategy :D

Levels are fairly sprawling, and so far the level design has ranged from fun & insightful
    (Ryan Amusements)
    to slightly dull
    (Pauper's Drop)
    . As with the first, the game is at its best when slowly dismantling the downfall of rapture, or introducing us to the quirky characters who inhabit it
    (my train carriage just got shot down by someone who looks and talks like a demented sea captain, which is always welcome)
    . It is a rare franchise that tries to say something - a city based on ideologies, and for me its fascinating to learn again how it all went wrong (even though the new villain seems a shoehorned into the world, as many reviewers have pointed out). Yet I still am very weary of the
    Big Sisters - their slightly forced arrival after you deal with every Little Sister seems at odds with the rest of the design, and so far anyway there has been no narrative explanation for this (I'll wait and see before fully deciding, but so far they seem like the laziest addition, even if they do add some combat variety).

It is worth the trip just to explore every inch you can of the city, and I always am interested in what is up the next stairs (there are way too many canned goods around the place - can get a bit overwhelming with the amount of pick-ups!). And most gameplay aspects, as said before, are massively improved - from the research to the weapons (although shooting still doesn't seem smooth enough). It isn't quite as exciting stepping foot into Rapture again, but it is a good reminder of what makes the setting so special. This is definitely a game more about the place and the people rather than the actual gameplay, but at least they're making strides in that area too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

Whilst I found Bioshock a brilliant game I also found it the gameplay bit repetitive. How does Bioshock 2 compare? (And did other people find Bioshock repetitive or is it just me and my RPG mindset?)

nearly finished single player me thinks. good so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I havent actually played the single player game yet, multiplayer only for a bit this evening. It's ok , good even, but little new you haven't played a fair few times before elsewhere. There are these trial things that you can do like kill 30 with a shot gun etc that may add some motivation for playing them but over all has no lasting appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

WORD OF WARNING - MS LIVE - IT MAY DELETE YOUR SAVES WHEN YOU LOGIN/SEARCH DOWNLOAD CONTENT

I went to check out DLC through the game menu, I wasn't expecting to find much. So I had to set up live account. That was a pain in the arse as it wouldn't accept 5 different usernames despite no mention of them being used already and the were all letters, no spaces or dashes. THEN, I had to put up with code verification (read distorted alphanumeric code and type it in, anti-bot thing) that was impossible to read as the extortion was excessive and had to use the audio instead. Bla bla, set up account, logged in, searching for less than a min then bang. An error message comes up telling me saves are now lost. I went to check and sure enough, all saves deleted....
    Luckily I had just completed the game but still pissed off.

Now maybe it just didnt like me and decided to delete my saves and no on elses, but ill leave the word of warning.

And as I said in the previous post.

**** you MS, **** you right in the ear

edit: Great game though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Whilst I found Bioshock a brilliant game I also found it the gameplay bit repetitive. How does Bioshock 2 compare? (And did other people find Bioshock repetitive or is it just me and my RPG mindset?)

It really is more of the same, if you found the first repetitive, you're going to find this repetitive. Good game though.

Yep, winter blast rocks - I made the mistake of upgrading lightning/fire first but near the end of the game I went straight to level 3 winter blast and it rocks :D. Plus, you can freeze splicers, then use telekinisis to throw the frozen enemies onto other enemies :).

You can?!!?!?!?!
    DAAAAMN.jpg

Ill try that out :D

I just love bioshock, and love bioshock 2. I am taking mine time with it, not rushing at all.

The city it self is just amazing, all i do moust of the time is: go as far as possible from objective and explore! All small details make the game just amazing. Even those small biuld shelters in streets, with spot to sleep, a few candles, picture or two, sometimes audio log... those scums walking around the places that you have cleared allready.... it just feels that city lives not for you, but on its own! thats what i loved about bioshock, and this one brought it to next level.

Love the big daddy suit, its pro. Even small details like water droping on your helm, which makes pure metal sound, makes game so atmoustheric ( sorry if i spelled it wrong).

You need more tactical way in bioshock, so far i needed to manage mine ammo really carefully. constantly looking for enviromental ways of killing enemies. tactical trap placement while defending little sister.

Again one of best games for me, i am just in love with it. You aither like it or dont i think. And no point people proving its a good game!

You can?!!?!?!?!

Yep :D. I think you need at least level 2 of winter blast (like I said, I had enought Adam and just got all 3 levels in one go, so I'm not sure what you can and can't do with levels 1 and 2) to freeze them into an ice block which you can then throw around.

TrustedReviews put up their review today and it sums up exactly how I feel about the game: still great and some nice improvements over the original, but does not have quite the same "magic" that the first one did.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/video-games/review/2010/02/11/BioShock-2/p1

Probably gonna play the "evil" path this weekend on hard though... I want to see what happens :).

• Advertisement

Got my Rapture Limited Edition from Zavvi.... the artwork book is very well made, glad I got it. Looking forward to a weekend under the sea....

Advertisement