Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio Shock 2 now its out what do you think

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

extremely over rated just like the first one
    In your opinion maybe, but the countless awards and fantastic sales of the original suggest otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Valmont wrote: »
    In your opinion maybe, but the countless awards and fantastic sales of the original suggest otherwise.

its the same with halo and modern warfare series both have loads of sales and awards but just like bio shock extremely over rated, by the way i like all 3 series it just has to be said that they are massively hyped up and over rated

its the same with halo and modern warfare series both have loads of sales and awards but just like bio shock extremely over rated, by the way i like all 3 series it just has to be said that they are massively hyped up and over rated
    That's just it, if they have countless awards and sales it suggests that they do indeed live up to the hype. How else can we objectively measure a games worth? You can't compare the bioshock series to Call of Duty in terms of its promotion; I didn't see GAME open at midnight covered in props and a paintball team to celebrate the release of bioshock 2. Apart from the somethinginthesea.com viral, bioshock 2 was relatively low key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think you either hate or love the setting of the game. I really like the whole concept of the game. It will probably be the only single player game i will play all year

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grimebox wrote: »
    I think you either hate or love the setting of the game. I really like the whole concept of the game. It will probably be the only single player game i will play all year

+1 you like bioshock, or not... I love the rapture, its the coolest place in the world for me!

Its FPS for thinking people, who take theyr time, not : RUN IN WITH FOAM IN YOUR MOUTH AND SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

I just love the planin of defence when little sisters do theyr thing ;). If you will just run on big daddy with no preparation, you will cough blood in few seconds...

Only one thing i miss from bioshock 1... Remember grabing a medkit, then turning around and having splicer doctor looking at you from 1 cm distance? :p Or... or when you have a set of nice statues in water, and the next time you come back they all gone... you know what hapens next :D

just those small " oh ****" moments!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Very good game but...

Completely unenjoyable on hard difficulty.
    Multiplayer is meh.

I've decised that I am going to turn it down to Medium difficulty as Hard is nothing but dying over and over. It's just too hard imo, and I'm good at shooters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'm decent enough at shooters and I really don't get whre people are coming from saying hard is unenjoyable. There have only been a few moments in the game where I've had serious stress, I have vitachambers turned on but I didn't have to use one at all until uh.. dionysus park? whichever one you have to
    take care of all the little sisters for stanley
    , I died once or twice before that but tended to just reload an earlier save and plan my attack better.

could do with an even harder setting, imo

--edit

i should add, i'm playing on PC..doubtless it would be something of a pain in the hole with an xbox controller

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Only one thing i miss from bioshock 1... just those small " oh ****" moments!

Ah there've been a few. The first
    spider splicer
    in the hotel running across the roof in front of you. And every time I see the message that says "A
    big sister
    is on the way, prepare for a fight!" its most definitely an "oh ****" moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished it there, and at least I can say it wasn't the redundant sequel I feared it was going to be. I enjoyed revisiting rapture, and it helped that it had a more interesting conclusion than the first. Gameplay was far more solid - with clever plasmid / hacking / ammo use, you can feel like a genuinely powerful being here. I did think a lot of the ideas were a bit more unclear this time -
    Big Sisters
    still seem forced to me - but they did interesting things with concepts posed by the first game too, such as the
    playable Little Sister
    segment. There were a few problems they didn't quite tackle either -
    the moral choices are still too obviously 'good/bad', for example. For a game about the illusion of choice, having options which barely go past kill or save isn't enough.
    I'd also agree there are fewer stand out moments - moments in
    Ryan Amusements and Alexander the Great
    are the only ones that come close to the giddy heights of Fort Forolic,but don't quite have the same impact. Overall I enjoyed it however, and is far better than I thought it would be. I really think any sequel needs to abandon Rapture though - it was lots of fun exploring the place, but I think they've gone as far as they can
    (without adding another random villain who hasn't been mentioned yet :pac:)
    . A sequel with similar ideas and gameplay but in a fresh setting would be very welcome.

Had a quick go of multiplayer, which was made trickier because it didn't auto-map my alternate controls :( It seemed OK - prologue was a good idea - but can't imagine it holding attention for very long. Will give it another go with normal controls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Does anyone else completely ignore
    spoilers?
    :pac:
    I mean, I read them regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Annoyingly, they released Bioshock 2 with a narrow field of vision (75) - I was wondering why I was getting a headache playing! They were meant to fix it in the patch, but have now decided they won't.

However - hurray - there is a workaround. Edit user.uni (on Windows 7, this is in C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Bioshock2) and bing one or more keys to enable you to change the FOV.

For example, I changed the following lines:
    NumPad2=
    NumPad3=
    NumPad4=
    NumPad5=

to
    NumPad2=SetFOV 90
    NumPad3=SetFOV 95
    NumPad4=SetFOV 100
    NumPad5=SetFOV 110

Now I can use keys 2 to 5 on the number pad to set FOV values anywhere from 90 to 110.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Couldn't really care less about the flaws in Bioshock at all. The atmosphere that they've created is the best I've played ever. I really want a Rapture RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

To be honest I wasn't much of a fan of the first one. I basically raced throught it (with the help of that lovely arrow) and found there was no replay value to go back and play it again.

I am looking forward to giving the second one a whirl.

just finished it there, last level was a bit dull and the end cinematic was kinda naff.. but still, damned fine game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'm headed into Fontaine Futuristics now. Think there's only one more level. Delighted with the game so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

great game!! absolutely loving this

great game!! absolutely loving this

I'm almost finished. Diving into multiplayer first. Its not too bad. I thought it was a bit rubbish at first, but its good once you unlock extra weapons

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

z0oT wrote: »
    To be honest I wasn't much of a fan of the first one. I basically raced throught it (with the help of that lovely arrow) and found there was no replay value to go back and play it again.

I am looking forward to giving the second one a whirl.

ye looking back on both prob be much better playing without the arrow

i loved having the arrow there, it helped me know where to avoid until i was finished exploring everything else in the level.
    might try the next play through without it

• Advertisement

i loved having the arrow there, it helped me know where to avoid until i was finished exploring everything else in
    That's exactly what I used it for. Avoid it until it was the only way left to go; that way I could be near certain I picked up all of the tape recorders.

I finished it earlier and I am very impressed. I knew it was going to be good but not that good. As long as I felt the atmosphere and vibrancy of Rapture I was happy. I really thought the biggest improvement was in the combat system. It flowed together so much better than Bioshock 1.

Interestingly, I used the drill only gene tonic as soon as it was available. I didn't like it at first but the extra bang for my buck with all the plasmids made me a lean mean fire spitting drilling machine.

I rescued all of the little sisters and
    killed the three traitors, so don't read past this if you went a different way as the ending will be different
    and I was very happy with my ending.
    I loved watching Eleanor hold Sofia Lamb by the ankles, pulling her underwater until she drowned. I liked the quote about justice, a contract once broken, cannot be repaired or something like that.

I'm just sad it's over now but I'm going to start another run through next week and do the reverse of what I did this time. I never really used any plasmids past fire, shock, and ice either so I have that to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i loved having the arrow there, it helped me know where to avoid until i was finished exploring everything else in the level.
    might try the next play through without it

lol i am doing same thing :D untill i wount explore all level i wount go near arrow :D

Now that I've got the research camera, I'm taking my time and basically just playing with the poor splicers - setting cyclone traps for them and then burning them in mid-air. (Not sure you get extra points for that, but it's damn fun.)

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Finished it the other day, it was a way better game than I expected! Loved
    playing as Little Sister and how she saw Rapture and the "Angels". Also the fight with the two Big Sisters was class.

I got
    the good ending, which is a bit overly sweet (much like the good ending in the first game).

Just finished now, good ending. Wow, what an adventure! Loads of loose ends to be tied, but still! Class game!

Just got the Master Protector achievement for not allowing myself or the little sister to be injured during a gather. Great fun planning it out (basically, used loads of trap rivets and cyclones). I had about 5 cyclones together, and watching a flaming Brute jump down from a balcony and immediately soar 3 stories back into the air was hilarious.

P.

Any Irish Bioshock-ers on Xbox Live? Gots me a 48-hour Xbox Live trial :cool:
    Also, anyone else got the extra Multiplayer characters? That Zigo guy is an honorary Irishman. I think he is meant to be Greek or something, but his quotes tell all. "That's right, ye feckers, I'm back to haunt yiz!"
    Love it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Finished it about two hours ago. Loved it but did feel that it was a bit too short.

Did not have the same wow factor as the first game, but that was to be expected.

Will have to replay it again soon to see a different ending as I had the Good ending.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Finished it about two hours ago. Loved it but did feel that it was a bit too short.

Did not have the same wow factor as the first game, but that was to be expected.

Will have to replay it again soon to see a different ending as I had the Good ending.

Look up the neutral ending on YouTube. So sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Healium wrote: »
    Look up the neutral ending on YouTube. So sad :(

Isn't there meant to be six endings? Two good, two neutral, and two bad?

Advertisement