Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio Shock 2 now its out what do you think

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Kess73 wrote: »
    Isn't there meant to be six endings? Two good, two neutral, and two bad?

Ah they all only vary a little bit. There's basically a good and a bad ending, with 3 strains of each, but there isn't a whole lot of difference between. I'm referring to this one;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEYPmYQ317c

Obviously that has spoilers, so watch at your own risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Read this has only got 2 hours gameplay, is that true? If it is its pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

2 hours? Can't see how that is possible. I'm about 6 hours in, and half way through it (playing with no vitachambers, adopting all little sisters and harvesting all adam).

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Read this has only got 2 hours gameplay, is that true? If it is its pathetic

It possibly could be if you run through it, but I seriously doubt it. There's loads to do if you take your time, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Easy level you could probably finish it in 2-3 hours I'd say..it was good but nothing new and no real challenge.

• Advertisement

If you played it on easy, then you wasted your money.
    You should just give it to charity in future and make the world a better place. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yeah playing on Medium no vita either, and saving like a mofo as for ages I was getting slaughtered till i got some power ups. easily have 12 hours clocked up and non the last section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

2 hours? No way. I reckon I'm about 15 hours played, and about 2/3rds of the way through it.

If you played on Easy, then ramboed your way through it without collecting audio tapes or harvesting corpses, then it would be shorter, but what's the point?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I played on normal and finished it in about 8 hours.I enjoyed the game enough i suppose but it just felt like i was playing the first one again,graphically it was about on par with bioshock.

Easy level you could probably finish it in 2-3 hours I'd say..it was good but nothing new and no real challenge.

Erm?

P.

• Advertisement

Multiplayer DLC announced today. You can go as far as rank 50 now, a third upgrade for each weapon, new trials, and 4 new characters; the two pre-orders, Blanche and Zigo, and the two unreleased characters, The PlayBoy and The Jailbird

Possible voices of the new characters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIOVxDd3J4g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ybQ1ePI34

400 Microsoft Points and there's plenty of more DLC on the way, including for single player!

I just finished the single player game (wonderful) and so it's even more gut-wrenching trying to play the multiplayer and finding it awful.

The lag problems are horrendous - every few seconds, my avatar will suddenly teleport sideways 10 feet and get stuck in a wall. Hit detection is non-existent - I'll try to incinerate an enemy standing right in front of me and nothing will happen. It's virtually unplayable. And even with all graphical settings switched on high, it looks _awful- - like the single-player with all graphical settings turned off. Oh, and it's all at 75 degrees of FOV, so it's even harder when it feels like I'm wearing the equivalent of horse's blinkers.

A huge huge disappointment.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    I just finished the single player game (wonderful) and so it's even more gut-wrenching trying to play the multiplayer and finding it awful.

The lag problems are horrendous - every few seconds, my avatar will suddenly teleport sideways 10 feet and get stuck in a wall. Hit detection is non-existent - I'll try to incinerate an enemy standing right in front of me and nothing will happen. It's virtually unplayable. And even with all graphical settings switched on high, it looks _awful- - like the single-player with all graphical settings turned off. Oh, and it's all at 75 degrees of FOV, so it's even harder when it feels like I'm wearing the equivalent of horse's blinkers.

A huge huge disappointment.

P.

I think you're over-exaggerating ;) What system are you playing on? I got to rank 30 on rubbish O2 mobile broadband with a MASSIVE ping and I got lag once. As for hit-detection, that's all a part of the lag.
    It doesn't look bad at all, they've recreated the original Bioshock levels wonderfully and there' some lovely details, namely some great mentions to the first game!

Healium wrote: »
    I think you're over-exaggerating ;) What system are you playing on? I got to rank 30 on rubbish O2 mobile broadband with a MASSIVE ping and I got lag once. As for hit-detection, that's all a part of the lag.
    It doesn't look bad at all, they've recreated the original Bioshock levels wonderfully and there' some lovely details, namely some great mentions to the first game!

Wish I was exaggerating! I'm on NTL broadband and usually have no problem playing online games. The avatar-jumps-sideways-every-few-seconds bit is the most annoying.

On a forum, someone mentioned trying alt-tabbing out, then back into, the game. I might give this a go and see what happens.

P.

Yeah, try Alt-Tab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BaelNaMblath

I just beat BS2 and it was amazing. I was actually compelled to save the little sisters in this game, as opposed to the last one where I just killed pretty much all of them.

I don't have the heart to harvest them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Did anyone check all the endings on youtube?

Doesnt seem to be
    a great deal of difference between them, all point to a 3rd game not being in rapture. the evil ending being the most likely to form a plot for 3rd game. Just hope we get it sooner than 2 or 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Quick question folks and there was no need for a new thread. I only played a bit of the original Bioshock a few years back . Would I have any less an experience of the second having not played all of the first?

Cheers

Insurgent wrote: »
    Quick question folks and there was no need for a new thread. I only played a bit of the original Bioshock a few years back . Would I have any less an experience of the second having not played all of the first?

Cheers

Depends... You'll get by without it, but any hardcore BioShock fan would recommend playing the first :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Healium wrote: »
    Depends... You'll get by without it, but any hardcore BioShock fan would recommend playing the first :p

Cheers. I have a few games I want to get today and this was one of them

Insurgent wrote: »
    Cheers. I have a few games I want to get today and this was one of them

Its very good! I'm just trying to think of anything that you might not understand...

Hmmm, well you could read up about Mark Meltzer. He was the main character of SomethingInTheSea.com. This was an 11-month Bioshock 2 viral campaign, and he makes an appearance in Bioshock 2, albeit only in small bursts. Still, you can read up on his story here; http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_Meltzer

Other than that, it helps to know the story of Bioshock 1. There are loads of mentions to its story throughout, and you'll need to know what happened to undersand it. Even when you sneak up on a group of splicers, they'll probably be talking about something from the first game. If you're definetily not going to play Bioshock first, PM me and I'll explain what you need to know.

Otherwise, the Bioshock Wiki is your friend
    The story is here; http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/BioShock

Then you're going to want to know a bit about Fontaine, Andrew Ryan, Jack Ryan, Tenenbaum and the Civil War etc.

Andrew Ryan; http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Andrew_Ryan
    Tenenbaum; http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Brigid_Tenenbaum

Actually, there's too much to read. I'll PM you now

Sorry about the 7,000 word summary :p

But, do read it. It mentions practically everything from Bioshock 1 that you need to know. I only explained about the characters that are mentioned in the 2nd game. Its easier than reading the essays on the Wiki!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Finished! Played the first on PC and second on XBox. Have to say that the PC controls are nicer for in-battle: i.e. you have no time to choose and flicking between plasmids and weapons...rather than hold bumper - pause - check who's around, what weapons you have, what's best - unpause - shoot. Also pauses the music which breaks the atmosphere.

Really enjoyed the game. Not sure it hit the same height as the first one but didn't suffer any decline in my opinion. Really enjoyed the game overall. I
    saved all the little sisters, let Grace live, smacked Stanley in the head with the drill and electrocuted Alex The Great (because he asked when he was still sane - better than living forever in a ruined city)...

I thought it was very cool how
    you meet Lamb watching over Elanor and then she suffocates her causing you to blackout. "leave her alone dammit!" Playing as a little Sister was interesting and a unique touch - only thing that threw me was that you could walk through groups of "guests" (splicers) and harvest with no trouble

Final boss battle was good. As were the
    back to back fights with three big daddies - would have been fine except one jumped me while I was trying to take out a spider splicer on the roof :D Looked down in his shiney yellow eyes...and drill coming at my head!

Agree with friends who said that it would have been better if
    there was just one big sister who was your sworn enemy. Thought the first fight (where you get your ass kicked) was really cool...a little let down that they die. And that it was easier to kill two than it was to kill one!

But the BEST THING is
    being able to read spoilers

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

I have to say, the awesome power of the
    Drill Dash
    made up for the general sense of disappointment at not being as damn-near invulnerable as the Big Daddies from Bioshock 1 for me.

Having said that, walking around with God mode on wasn't fun in Doom and it sure wouldn't be fun now.

However, I think they should have ditched the Vita-Chambers, I kept expecting them to use it as a story telling device to
    link you to Andrew Ryan or something

Multiplayer is a good laugh too, I thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

finished it there

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Finished it last night. Enjoyed it, but nothing really stands out like Fort Frollic in the first game. Never fond of retconning in story telling and this game came pretty close in order for the narrative to work. Ending was better than the first, but I'm not sure if I'll remember any of it a months time.

Just finished it. I explored every level thoroughly and didn't get Rapture Historian achievement (100 diaries). Pain in the hole. Got everything else though (saved all little sisters and the 3 NPCs, and didn't use vitachambers).

Persephone was a highlight of the game for me and I loved playing as the you-know-who.
    What you see through her eyes was fantastic (compared to the reality)

It didn't offer a huge amount new over the original Bioshock, but as an extension of the story it was brilliant. If Bioshock 3 was more of the same (with even more refinements), I wouldn't complain too much. I hope the single player DLC that is promised is story based, and not some challenge rooms like the original Bioshock.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Mr E wrote: »
    Just finished it. I explored every level thoroughly and didn't get Rapture Historian achievement (100 diaries). Pain in the hole. Got everything else though (saved all little sisters and the 3 NPCs, and didn't use vitachambers).

Persephone was a highlight of the game for me and I loved playing as the you-know-who.
    What you see through her eyes was fantastic (compared to the reality)

It didn't offer a huge amount new over the original Bioshock, but as an extension of the story it was brilliant. If Bioshock 3 was more of the same (with even more refinements), I wouldn't complain too much. I hope the single player DLC that is promised is story based, and not some challenge rooms like the original Bioshock.

Apparently the DLC will be story based which is good news.
    http://kotaku.com/5477309/bioshock-2-dlc-begins-with-the-sinclair-solutions-test-pack

And remember, this is just the opening shot. 2K plans much more DLC for BioShock 2, including narrative-exanding single player content that delves deeper into the lore of Rapture and its inhabitants.

Finished this last week really enjoyed it. While understandably it lacks the real wow factor of the original, I thought it was an excellent game overall and certainly did nothing to diminish the first game in any way. Overall I found it much smoother to play especially with dual welding of plasmids/weapons and the hacking improvement. With an interesting, well paced story and good level design it was a winner in my books.

Loved some of the new weapons the highlight for me was
    the spear gun, is there a better feeling than sticking a splicer to the wall :D. A special mention for the rocket spear - I love you :) the mini turrent were a nice touch too

Uber late edit: Sales seem to be very healthy as well, 3m units shipped so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Just finished it, great game but could someone please tell me why the hell
    delta died at the end?
    :p Saved all the little sisters btw.

Advertisement