Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walks in meath

Options
  • 10-02-2010 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

how are ye folks?

Im board with my local walk around town and want to start hill walking or walking through some forests.. Any one know some nice trails around?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

You could try www.discoverireland.ie/walking or www.walkireland.ie for some ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Not to sure where you live in meath but I go for a walk around balrath woods just outside duleek. Its lovely kids will love it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Is'nt Slane in Meath? Joss Lynam describes a lovely walk in one of his books near there that goes along the Boyne. A wander in and around tiny DonaghPatrick is nice also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Where abouts in Meath are you?

Loughcrew (close to Oldcastle) offers 'Hill Walking Lite' - very interesting location and great views despite it's relative lack of height. It is also the highest point in County Meath!

Keeping on a similar line of thinking - depending on what part of Meath you are in, you might not be too far from the Cooleys. If you are looking to get into walking, there is the Tain Way around this area (http://tcs.ireland.ie/dataland/TCSAttachments/318_TheTainWay.pdf). Slieve Foye, which is the highest point in County Louth, is also accessible by diverting from the Tain Way and is a good introduction to hill walking - if you get the weather, the views across to the Mournes are breathtaking. Just be sure to wear a good pair of boots as it can be quite mucky on the climb up.
    http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/?p=92

You can complete a hat-trick of county tops by crossing the border with Westmeath and visiting Mullaghmeen Forest Park. At 400ha, it's the largest planted beech forest in Ireland and offers a few walking routes of different lengths. It also contains the highest point in County Meath and at 261 metres, is the 'lowest highest county-point' (if you get my meaning!).
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=53&rec_site=57&no_cache=1

Someone mentioned the walk in Slane - I assume they are speaking of the ramparts walk which is accessed from the bridge. Not my favourite place but I have incorporated it into a run a couple of times.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

just went to balrath woods brilliant walk... a bit short so did a few laps thanks joey

paul ill try yours by the end of the week thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

high heels wrote: »
    just went to balrath woods brilliant walk... a bit short so did a few laps thanks joey

paul ill try yours by the end of the week thanks

A couple more - probably on the short side but if may be close enough to you.

One is the 'nature walk' on the Slane-Drogheda road - there's a couple of trails around there..
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=53&rec_site=123&no_cache=1
    Probably around 2km around the main walk.

Other is Oldbridge House which is beside the nature walk. Walks there around a few fields and down by the canal. You can make a 5km walk by walking around the groups and alongthe canal.

I run in both places regularly and they are decent spots - normally plenty of people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

Ive done the 3 so far Paul great walks.. I thought the 8k walk near old castle would take a few hours yet I had it done in 1!!! was suprised at my pace over that one..

In work for the next 5 days :( but Cooleys next week I think..

Advertisement