Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking the speed limit on roads in Wexford

Options
  • 10-02-2010 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Ok Guys...

I've been living in Co. Wexford for a while now.

What's with riding up my arse when I'm doing the speed limit?
    80km/hr and 100km/hr are reasonable on the roads designated.

... Are you all in a hurry to go to the circus?
    ... Are you rushing to Wexford General to have multiple babies?
    ... Are you late for a VERY important DATE????

What is the deal????

... More importantly ...

check that the front and back lights are working before you leave wherever you are.

Keep everyone safe on our roads. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

It seems like road safety is a taboo subject in the Wexford section of boards ....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Reasonable doesn't mean that's all that should be done!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

Saw your earlier thread... I'm not only talking about around Enniscorthy here.

And I will not reply to other topics on this thread. If you, or others believe another topic more worthwhile then post a NEW THREAD.

Thanks

kmart6 wrote: »
    Reasonable doesn't mean that's all that should be done!:P

Nice to know that someone has never known someone else that has been involved in a road accident. fingers crossed for you. And anyone else on the road with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Optimus485 wrote: »
    Saw your earlier thread... I'm not only talking about around Enniscorthy here.

And I will not reply to other topics on this thread. If you, or others believe another topic more worthwhile then post a NEW THREAD.

Thanks

What are you on about??
    Where did i state that this is not a valid or worthwhile topic??
    I just offered my opinion that matters of road safety are in my view not deemed important or relevant in the Wexford section....so i'll pass on some "helpful advice" that i received; REPORT IT TO THE GARDAI.
    but i don't recommend that either.... got me no where.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Road rage is a terrible thing, web rage is downright mean!

God made potholes for those ar****les of which you speak, he lets the rest of us drive into them to remind us that none of us are perfect.

Be safe out there.

wexfjord wrote: »
    Road rage is a terrible thing, web rage is downright mean!

God made potholes for those ar****les of which you speak, he lets the rest of us drive into them to remind us that none of us are perfect.

Be safe out there.

Anyone driving recently from Boolavouge, Blackwater or Oulart into Enniscorthy might also think about the car tax they are paying??????

HOLY MOLY........

I've never seen roads of the like!!!!!

Who is 'repairing' these roads???

Who is checking their work???

Surely no-one can be getting paid for the crap job done on the road around TOPAZ... and into Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That's a great assumption to make!
    It was a tongue in cheek comment so don't get to hung up on it!

kmart6 wrote: »
    That's a great assumption to make!
    It was a tongue in cheek comment so don't get to hung up on it!

Thanks for your comment... all are welcome:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Anyone driving recently from Boolavouge, Blackwater or Oulart into Enniscorthy might also think about the car tax they are paying??????

HOLY MOLY........

The revenue generated from Road tax doesnt always go towards the maintenance of the roads. ;)

Also - if you are doing what you think is a reasonable speed, and someone is stuck to your back bumper, just let him by. Its not that hard. Dont try to police the roads yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 xsjado

why dont the Gardai pull for bad lights or the wrong use of lights? about evry 5th car on the road either has a dodgy dipped light, or has one not working at all, uses fog lights when there is no fog FFS, or they have one fog light working and one headlight!!! SORT IT OUT!! and thats the ones your driving at, same when your behind someone, broken brake lights, driving lights etc.

can people stop using the mobiles when driving? check all your lights work and belt up the kids if ye have any. oh, and use your indicators? they not for the cosmetic look of the car.

and OP, good question, who is checking the work carried out, no accountability at all. roads laid down our way are already craking, do contractors not offer a gurantee on their products? and im talking about the surface sinking and causing potholes etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fat liar

Who is 'repairing' these roads???

No body, and they will never be put back to they way the were as bad an all as they were before the fecking "big freeze"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

xsjado wrote: »
    why dont the Gardai pull for bad lights or the wrong use of lights? about evry 5th car on the road either has a dodgy dipped light, or has one not working at all, uses fog lights when there is no fog FFS, or they have one fog light working and one headlight!!! SORT IT OUT!! and thats the ones your driving at, same when your behind someone, broken brake lights, driving lights etc.

can people stop using the mobiles when driving? check all your lights work and belt up the kids if ye have any. oh, and use your indicators? they not for the cosmetic look of the car.

I'll refer you to this thread.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055666592&highlight=gardai+enforce+traffic
    The incident I mention in the first post happened on the outskirts of Gorey, the old N11 at Great Gas filling station. As you can see, even when Gardaí have pulled motorists they don't bother their a*ses.
    I've seen them walk past cars parked in the bus stop, while the bus was stopped in the middle of the road, holding up traffic behind, on one occasion one was actually standing not 10 ft. away while this was happening.
    Unless you have no tax or are travelling a few miles over the limit, the RTA might as well not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Let he who has never exceeded the designated speed limit write the next post,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

... sorry, couldn't resist...

sure everyone breaks the speed limits. i wud probably go 110 in 100 zone and maybe 125 on a motorway. but areound towns and on approach roads, wud be more inclined to keep to the limit

some irish roads are not acapable of the limits set on them anyway, back roads as bad as laneways are 80km? :eek:

Murtinho wrote: »
    Let he who has never exceeded the designated speed limit write the next post,,,,

Perhaps I incorrectly titled this thread. . . I am refering to agressive behaviour.

Perhaps I incorrectly titled this thread. . . I am refering to agressive behaviour.

You are always going to get aggressive drivers or someone who is genuinely in a hurry, I find the best policy is to move in out of their way and let them get on with it. It won't make any difference to you if they get fined or get points on their licence but I think it only contributes to road rage and accidents if people think "I'm doing the speed limit, you're not allowed to pass me".
    If he's determined, he'll do it at some stage anyway so better to let him do it safely than maybe put someone else, or even yourself, at risk by forcing him to take chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bolt82

If there is someone right up my ass and im doing the speed limit and dont want to exceed it i will tap the break a few times. This usually always work. They get the hint and back off. Then i will pull over where i can and let them past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

xsjado wrote: »
    sure everyone breaks the speed limits. i wud probably go 110 in 100 zone and maybe 125 on a motorway. but areound towns and on approach roads, wud be more inclined to keep to the limit

some irish roads are not acapable of the limits set on them anyway, back roads as bad as laneways are 80km? :eek:
    yeah you have a point but these are MAXIMUM speed limits. When on an 80km backroad doing say 60km you should be pulled over for dangerous driving if the road is so bad it is only safe to do e.g. 45km.

ive driven on roads in other countries where corners had speed signs on them, the advisory speed for taking the bend at.

i reckon this country just needs more overtaking lanes anyway. fook wasting millions on dual carriage ways, just widen the road for about 2km, giving each side of the road at least a 1km overtaking lane each side for passing slower moving traffic such as HGV and tractors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Drove around Riverchapel and Courtown yesterday... holy **** the roads are a ****ing joke, potholes EVERYWHERE, some that would destroy your alloys in one hit... I know they are bad almost everywhere around Gorey but this was really bad... spending more time looking at the road directly in front of you than you do the actual direction you are going...!

down by itchymickey heights is a joke. always been a leaking pipe there and the road is in ****e!! some amount of road closures along the coast road atm too. water pipes being laid.

the council dont need to resurface the whole road, jsy repair the parts that have potholes!! con saw, mini digger, filler, whacker, tar and a roller, fooken job done or am i missing something? :confused:

I haven't seen them recently but there used to be a crew almost full time around the Courtown, Riverchapel, Ballydane area, filling in potholes. Two shovels of tarmac, two smacks with the back of the shovel and Bob's your uncle. Shower of rain, touch of frost and start again the next day. Might as well have filled them with vomit.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks 'repairing' the potholes is crazy.
    There has to be another (CHEAPER in the long run) solution.

BTW, I've even seen tarmac being put into potholes which were full of rainwater:eek:... surely there's no way that can work???

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bolt82

BTW, I've even seen tarmac being put into potholes which were full of rainwater:eek:... surely there's no way that can work???

I dont think it would work but lets face it there are alot more potholes then there are dry drys in ireland haha. So they probably couldnt fix all the holes without trying to do it on wet days

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks 'repairing' the potholes is crazy.
    There has to be another (CHEAPER in the long run) solution.

No, it can't work because if the water freezes it expands and pushes the filling out, when the ground dries it contracts and the filling falls to pieces. It's a no win situation and just a cosmetic excercise to keep the natives happy.
    The Co.Council used to have a machine that actually dried out the potholes, filled them and sealed them, I think it was actually developed and produced in Camolin. I haven't seen that in a while either.

Advertisement