Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Liverpool, 19.45 SS2

• 10-02-2010 2:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭

Arsenal_Liverpool_800_763574.jpg

Massive game for both sides here.

Arsenal win and they look fairly confident of claiming third place.

Liverpool win and Arsenal are dragged right back into the battle for fourth.

At a guess I'd say:

Almunia

Sagna
    Gallas
    Vermaelen
    Clichy

Fab
    Song
    Diaby

Rosicky
    Bendtner
    Arshavin

Nasri or Walcott could easily come in for Rosicky, I just think he might start as he was rested on Sunday.

If we don't start Bendtner and play Arshavin through the middle again we could be in trouble. Bendtner is a striker that will give us the physicality we need from the frontman to hold ball and bring Fabregas into play.

Song is going to be huge here in the attempt to neutralise Gerrard.

I'm gonna go for a score draw 2-2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Tbh I just hope Liverpool don't lose. It's not vital for us to win this game considering it's away from home against a top side but it's important for us to keep the current run going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

agreed. a win would be nice, but i think its more important we dont lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Tbh I just hope Liverpool don't lose. It's not vital for us to win this game considering it's away from home against a top side but it's important for us to keep the current run going.

Jazzy wrote: »
    agreed. a win would be nice, but i think its more important we dont lose

WTF?

One of our biggest rivals and you'll settle for a draw before kick off?

I certainly won't, I'd rather lose having a go for third and a bit of comfort perhaps towards the end of the season than 'settle' for a point any day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Chelsea and United keep showing how easily it can be done. I expect Liverpool to win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

i think arsenal will score, and i cant see liverpool scoring two,, 1-1.. or 2-1 to arsenal, but i hope not!
    would be ok for liverpool to play for a 0-0 considering season we're having,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I am going to say a 1-1 draw. It really depends on how well Liverpool can keep Fabregas under control. If Masch can do a number on him Liverpool will win but I can see Fab getting the better of him for parts of the game at least. Liverpool have the momentum with them also. Really tough to call so I'll play is safe and go with a scoring draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Liverpool ftw!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

WTF?

I certainly won't, I'd rather lose having a go for third and a bit of comfort perhaps towards the end of the season than 'settle' for a point any day.

well if we lose, we give arsenal the initiative again. a draw means they have got bugger all points against utd, chelsea and pool and stifle their confidence.. so in that regard, id settle for a draw. i still expect us to play to win though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

CHD wrote: »
    Chelsea and United keep showing how easily it can be done. I expect Liverpool to win.

If Liverpool had Torres, I would be as confident as you. Rooney and Drogba done a massive amount of the damage in the recent games against Arsenal - they were what set the teams apart when it really counted I think.

I am also not that confident that Arsenal will loose a third game in a row either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I expect Lucas rather than Masch to sit on Cesc.

I also expect Maxi to show a lot more in this game than in the derby if he starts.

Lastly if Ngog can carry on the form from the last game, he could cause problems.

Tight game.
    I expect a draw, or a victory by one.
    Could go either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I really hope we can keep the momentum going and with Arsenal's defensive weaknesses showing recently then I recon we have a good chance but with one-touch-too-many N'Gog up front I think a draw is the most realistic option.

With City a game in hand we really need to get full points here.

When was the last time we beat Arsenal at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

If Liverpool had Torres, I would be as confident as you.

I am also not that confident that Arsenal will loose a third game in a row either.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

sorry that game is on sky sports two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

sorry that game is on sky sports two

Not according to the Arsenal website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Frisbee wrote: »
    Not according to the Arsenal website.

Its on Sky Sports 2 its been plastered all over sky since Super Sunday

Its on Sky Sports 2 its been plastered all over sky since Super Sunday

Fair enough.

I just went by what was on the club's official webpage.

I hate this fixture. We don't win it very often.

I'll be delighted with a draw tbh and that's what I think it will be.

City away is a much bigger fixture for us on Sunday week.

If we could win however, there would be 2 champions league spots up for grabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I expect arsenal to have 70% possession and fabregas to run riot along with our nemisis arshavin.

Agger and skyrtel need big games for us and i expect reina to be busy. Ngog wont get a sniff against gallas and kuyt will be largely anonymous for 89 mins but will score.

Head says 2-1 arsenal. If we can handle fabregas and arshavin we can take a point away from this game. If torres was on the pitch my outlook would be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I see a Liverpool victory based on their form and taking into account Arsenal's miserable outcome recently against Chelsea and United

I see a Liverpool victory based on their form and taking into account Arsenal's miserable outcome recently against Chelsea and United

United and Chelsea have front men in incredible form though and who happen to be two of the best in the league.

Big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

rarnes1 wrote: »
    United and Chelsea have front men in incredible form though and who happen to be two of the best in the league.

Big difference.

I also thought that arsenal played very well v chelsea the other day, allthough the result didnt reflect it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Hoping for this team with Aquilani, Johnson, Benayoun, Torres injured obviously...

Reina

Carragher
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Mash
    Lucas

Riera
    Gerrard
    Maxi

Kuyt

Basically i really want riera and aurelio on the left as walcott could take insua to the cleaners tonight :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

would be quite happy to see Degan on the right side tonight, he has looked really dangerous and is very very quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Normally this is a fixture where I think that a draw is as good as it is going to get in the league, but if Liverpool can knock Arsenal out of their stride early on by closing down quickly, then I think Liverpool may pick up their first win away to Arsenal in the league under Rafa.

Just don't see Liverpool coming away with nothing from this game.

Four goal game methinks.

3-1 to Liverpool or a 2-2 draw.

I hate this fixture. We don't win it very often.

I'll be delighted with a draw tbh and that's what I think it will be.

City away is a much bigger fixture for us on Sunday week.

If we could win however, there would be 2 champions league spots up for grabs.
    love this fixture. great history between the sides. One of the games i look forward to each seaon. Brother an arsenal fan. Seems to age five years everytime we beat them though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

As mad as it sounds Arsenal were excellent against Chelsea, had the majority of the possession and I thought Song was the stand out player in midfield and bossed it from start to finish.

They just could't dance passed a packed Chelsea box.

Walcott should be benched. Bendtner up top, with Arshavin off him.

I make Arsenal firm favourites. 3-1 to the miss firing gunners to get them back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Big difference.

0 0 with Villa before that, and 3 1 loss to Stoke, albeit in the FA cup. Lost 3 of their last 4.
    Liverpool have won 3 of their last 4, conceeding 0 goals

Arsenal really need to improve on their defending. Hasnt been up to scratch in last two games.

daithijjj wrote: »
    I also thought that arsenal played very well v chelsea the other day, allthough the result didnt reflect it.

They played well but had no focal point in attack unlike united and Chelsea.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    They just could't dance passed a packed Chelsea box.

Walcott should be benched. Bendtner up top, with Arshavin off him.

Ding ding ding ding ding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

WTF?

I'd settle for a point. Arsenal away is a tough fixture, and has been said it'd be great to keep our unbeaten run going.

A loss could really hurt us here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Arsenal to bounce back 2-0 or 2-1.

Liverpools latest away fixtures are draws at Stoke and Wolves:confused:

Arsenal played Utd and Chelsea. Those were the toughest games of the year for them. A vulnerable Liverpool team will not pose the same threat. Arsenal's 35 goals this season tell me they'll get 2 tonight.

Arsenal can play Liverpool. They will, and they'll win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Arsenal -v- Liverpool, 19.45 SS1
    It's on Sky Sports 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Splainc wrote: »
    Hoping for this team with Aquilani, Johnson, Benayoun, Torres injured obviously...

Reina

Carragher
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Mash
    Lucas

Riera
    Gerrard
    Maxi

Kuyt

Basically i really want riera and aurelio on the left as walcott could take insua to the cleaners tonight :(

I'd go with that.

1-1.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It's on Sky Sports 2.

As I've already said twice, arsenal.com had it down as SS1 when I posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I think Walcott will start and I think he'll run riot against Insua (although Benetiz might pick Aurelio to counter this).

We need to get back on track and I don't think Liverpool have the physicality of a Chelsea or United and for that reason I think we'll win 3-1. With the clown in goal and our defense though, Liverpool will score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Arsenal on the back of 2 straight defeats, I really can't see them losing again.

If Bendtner starts, it means we can let Arshavin loose on the fullbacks and that should do some damage. Not sure if I want to see Walcott start myself, he still doesn't look 'with it' after the injuries. Think I'd rather have Rosicky or Nasri in that other forward slot, their intelligent play should cause Insua headaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I am slightly nervous because a while back I said if we lost to United & Chelsea, then we'd either draw or lose to Liverpool. That said, I think we looked very good against Chelsea. As long as we cover for our fullbacks properly when they get forward, we should be ok defensively.

I'm gonna say Arsenal to nick it by one goal or a draw.

As I've already said twice, arsenal.com had it down as SS1 when I posted.

Actually it's on SS2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

magma69 wrote: »
    Actually it's on SS2.

READ THE THREAD.

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    I am slightly nervous because a while back I said if we lost to United & Chelsea, then we'd either draw or lose to Liverpool. That said, I think we looked very good against Chelsea. As long as we cover for our fullbacks properly when they get forward, we should be ok defensively.

I'm gonna say Arsenal to nick it by one goal or a draw.

Lucky for Arsenal too that Liverpool don't play the most wide football and we lack pace up there too. So we may not be able to counter as effectively as Chelski and United.

Galvasean wrote: »
    READ THE THREAD.
    If you read the comment I replied to, I thought it would be obvious I was just joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

0-0
    2 teams trying to play thru the middle cancelling each other out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

White Bib team is apparently
    Reina

Carragher
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Insua

Mash
    Lucas

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Maxi

Dave

No word on subs.
    Wonder if there is any chance Pacheco might have a chance?
    Likely one of Degen, Kelly, Ayala is on the bench given Soto is out.
    At a guess I'm going to go for Kelly as RB and CB cover.

Subs: Cavalieri, Aurelio, Riera, Babel, Spearing, Kelly, Pacheco

Going for a nil-nil draw.

White Bib team is apparently

No word on subs.
    Wonder if there is any chance Pacheco might have a chance?
    Likely one of Degen, Kelly, Ayala is on the bench given Soto is out.
    At a guess I'm going to go for Kelly as RB and CB cover.

Subs: Cavalieri, Aurelio, Riera, Babel, Spearing, Kelly, Pacheco

Going for a nil-nil draw.

I'm very happy with that selection. What is it with Rafa these days and picking teams that I actually agree with :confused:. Kuyt will make sure Clichy doesn't run riot down that flank. Hopefully Maxi will have a big game for us too. I'd love to see Pacheco make an appearance if/when we are lacking creativity in the second half. Getting all excited now so I am. COME ON YOU REDS! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Babel might get a start up front to quicken our counter attack but his holding up of the ball is poor and Ngog did well on saturday.

Game will not be 0-0. Very rarely is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

Reina

Carragher
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Mash
    Lucas

Riera
    Gerrard
    Maxi

Kuyt

Yea I'd go with that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Babel might get a start up front to quicken our counter attack but his holding up of the ball is poor and Ngog did well on saturday.

Game will not be 0-0. Very rarely is.

Generally his hold up play is actually quite good. It's when he's on the flank that its craP

I'm going to go for a tight 1-0 to the pool with Kuyt to continue his scoring run

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Anyone else worried about tonight, cant see Arsenal losing again!
    There's noone on the team sheet tonight that looks like they could win it for us, except maybe Kuyt?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Anyone else worried about tonight, cant see Arsenal losing again!
    There's noone on the team sheet tonight that looks like they could win it for us, except maybe Kuyt?

whats the starting lineup?

• Advertisement
Advertisement