Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Liverpool, 19.45 SS2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Liverpool fans very quick to forget that horrible gust of wind that took ryan babel down in the box in the CL a few seasons back. Wasn't poor reffing then or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

because in the space of like three months we have had two very bad hand ball decisions that have gone totally un-noticed.
    Refereeing is very poor at moment. Last night City player totally obstructed a bolton player inside penalty area and again nothing happens.
    Seems to me decisions like these are happening way too often this season.

crying-baby-272x300.jpg

Arra enough of the whinging, take your beating like a man FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Liverpool fans very quick to forget that horrible gust of wind that took ryan babel down in the box in the CL a few seasons back. Wasn't poor reffing then or anything.
    Yeah and there was a big outcry about that as well. Funny how this is been swept under the carpet though. Will leave it anyway.

Frisbee wrote: »
    This is what I thought as well, I don't think it was given for Gerrard. Sure when Fab (stupidly) got involved and threw the ball back he was throwing it back to where the free on Kuyt was.

The ref also made a push gesture to indicate why the foul was given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

because in the space of like three months we have had two very bad hand ball decisions that have gone totally un-noticed.
    Refereeing is very poor at moment. Last night City player totally obstructed a bolton player inside penalty area and again nothing happens.
    Seems to me decisions like these are happening way too often this season.

Henry handballed it, Kolo Toure fouls in the box and gets away with it, Fabregas handballed it tonight, Eduardo diving earlier in the year....

Christ Arsenal and their former players are the antithesis of fair play aren't they? Or it could just be football. Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

cson wrote: »
    Henry handballed it, Kolo Toure fouls in the box and gets away with it, Fabregas handballed it tonight, Eduardo diving earlier in the year....

Christ Arsenal and their former players are the antithesis of fair play aren't they? Or it could just be football. Maybe.
    again two wrongs dont make it right. It was just plain wrong. end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

anyway, id stake my house that we wouldn't have scored from it anyway. Arsenal just plain deserved the win tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    anyway, id stake my house that we wouldn't have scored from it anyway. Arsenal just plain deserved the win tonight.
    looked to me it was flying in the corner of the net,, not top corner, maybe goal keeper would have got to it, maybe not,defo penalty, i wouldnt mind if it was his face he was covering with his hand up that high, but it wasnt it was a reach for the ball,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

argosy2006 wrote: »
    defo penalty,

It wasn't even in the box.

Free kick certainly, never a peno.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

page after page of completely useless irrelevant spam that has provides no depth to the match or the two teams involved. just one poster bleating on about bollox.

welcome to the soccer forum of 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i didn't see them talking about it, but supposedly it was replayed after and it was on the line which is a penalty, all the pundits agreed. as i said i haven't seen it, but that's wat i've been informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Jazzy wrote: »
    welcome to the soccer spam forum of 2010

spam20boy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

MOTD just starting now for those who saw the game on a bad stream or for those who missed the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Kess73 wrote: »
    MOTD just starting now for those who saw the game on a bad stream or for those who missed the game.

Start 30 mins ago if you can get the other BBC channels and not have to watch Gerry Anderson ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Carragher's handball in the Cup Final against Arsenal a few years back. Owen diving against Argentina to win a penalty. Gerrard winning a penalty in the last minute against Athletico Madrid in the Champions League - I could go on but it sounds a bit pathetic really - just like your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

greendom wrote: »
    Carragher's handball in the Cup Final against Arsenal a few years back. Owen diving against Argentina to win a penalty. Gerrard winning a penalty in the last minute against Athletico Madrid in the Champions League - I could go on but it sounds a bit pathetic really - just like your post.

I'm an Arsenal fan and that post was made in jest ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

greendom wrote: »

He was clearly joking in the post you got all uppity about.

It was a Henchoz Handball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Personally I didn't think either incident was a foul, blatant handball by Cesc but I don't think it was a free in the first place so, meh. Cesc looked to be outside the box to me too, so I doubt it was a pen and even if the ref saw the handball I reckon he would have given a free.

Overall, I think we deserved the win. Great shot from Babel and save from Almunia but, I really think that it would have been extremely harsh on us to drop any points today.

I'm an Arsenal fan and that post was made in jest ;)

Whoops, i thought it was genuine :o anyway I like the taste of my size 9s ;)

mayordenis wrote: »
    He was clearly joking in the post you got all uppity about.

It was a Henchoz Handball.

That's another one to the list then,:D i could have sworn Carragher was guilty of one too -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nice moment there between Arsene and Rafa before kick off :) wonder what they were saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pires - Pompey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

jasonorr wrote: »
    Cesc looked to be outside the box to me too, so I doubt it was a pen
    http://videos.sapo.pt/2AmIbGgqlRsaHo1MC3n9

inside for me, wall and Cesc dont move off the line.

Trilla wrote: »

Just seen it again on MOTD, outside the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Saw it again on MOTD, no free for me and outside the box too...he's on his tippy toes ;)

definate handball in the first half from Vermalen too. ah well, **** happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The ref bottled it, and it was on the line. On the line means pen

jasonorr wrote: »
    Saw it again on MOTD, no free for me and outside the box too...he's on his tippy toes ;)

Agree, deffo outside, not even on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

OPENROAD wrote: »

Looked just outside to me, but it was a foul on Kuyt.

Looked like it was going in though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Here, lads, looking at it again Fabregas' arms were up but they were in front of his face (and his head is bowed, so he wasn't looking at the ball). Doesn't the rules not make exception for this somewhere or am I raving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Here, lads, looking at it again Fabregas' arms were up but they were in front of his face (and his head is bowed, so he wasn't looking at the ball). Doesn't the rules not make exception for this somewhere or am I raving?

Nope, AFAIK. As Rafa said, always keep your hands down.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

If his hands were in front of his face and his heels were just about on the line, would that not make the handball outside the box?

Anyway, doesn't really matter at this stage. Just delighted to get the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

OPENROAD wrote: »

yeah his feet were inside/on the line but the handball was outside it as shown in the video. I take it back. He should have got the line and subsequently banned. Awful ref decision

I think your right, I was always under an impression that some level of self defence was taken into account, the idea being basically that if you hand is in front of your face/head it would of hit that anyway, thus not impeding play.

yeah his feet were inside/on the line but the handball was outside it as shown in the video. I take it back. He should have got the line and subsequently banned. Awful ref decision

Outside the box for me.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think your right, I was always under an impression that some level of self defence was taken into account, the idea being basically that if you hand is in front of your face/head it would of hit that anyway, thus not impeding play.

Yeah, i continued to google after making that post. I saw nothing specific in FIFA's laws of the game itself other than
    Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into consideration:
    • the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
    • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
    • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement

Meaning it's pretty much up to the referee to determine whether it was a deliberate act. I also found this on another site (soccerhelp.com):
    However, a hand ball foul should not be called if: (1) a player is instinctively trying to protect himself from injury or (2) the player did not deliberately touch the ball but the ball hit his arm & he did not move the arm toward the ball (however, if the player's arms were in an unnatural position such as above his shoulders or sticking out to the sides, then he should be called for a handball).

I'd say that's how Mr. Webb has interpreted it, it's practically impossible for him to have not seen where he was positioned.

I've had my first look at it, I don't think he could plead self defence really, it seemed to me that it his hand or forearm which was more above and to the side of his head, however I think it wasn't some super evil pre-meditated choice more a split second reaction, I do it all the time in 5 a side and I'm several times the player Fabregas will ever be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Twas outside the box but it was defo a handball offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Twas outside the box but it was defo a handball offence.
    agreed - i'd give it as a handball, but it was outside the box so should only have been a free. of course the free which led to it was debatable too imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

possibly was a handball but definelty outside the box, lads the important point is where the hands are not where the feet are.

Look up, hes leaning forward and if the heels are on the line where must the hands be? Its easy really

• Advertisement

possibly handball?there really is no doubt it was. on seeing replays it would've been a free and second yellow for Cesc. nobody seems to mentioning the handball in the first half by Vermaleen, definate peno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Mr Alan wrote: »
    possibly handball?there really is no doubt it was. on seeing replays it would've been a free and second yellow for Cesc. nobody seems to mentioning the handball in the first half by Vermaleen, definate peno.

if its the oneI am thinking of, thougth it hit his chest

seen it a couple of times and was sure it hit his arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Did anyone see how Gerrard dived in the last minute trying to get a freekick out of Diaby? After that Kuyt was fouled, but the ref should stop it straight away and booked Gerrard. he wasnt even touched and he threw himself head first. Absolutly shocking

Did anyone see how Gerrard dived in the last minute trying to get a freekick out of Diaby? After that Kuyt was fouled, but the ref should stop it straight away and booked Gerrard. he wasnt even touched and he threw himself head first. Absolutly shocking

Gerrard needs to be sent off for it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Only handball of note is the Cesc one at the end, it was not a peno though as it was outside but I agree Cesc should have walked for it.

Nobody seems to be mentioning it was not even a free kick to begin with, Dirk's dive (which is what the kick was given for) was even worse than Gerrard's and both should have been ignored or even punished. So all in all things even themselves out in the end.

Edit: just seen the mentions now

I think that Gerrard dived but do think that Kuyt was fouled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

I think that Gerrard dived but do think that Kuyt was fouled.

yes but the ref should have stopped the game and booked gerard,yhus no free kick should have been given.

yes but the ref should have stopped the game and booked gerard,yhus no free kick should have been given.

Possibly alright.

Possibly alright.

you mean probably :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement