Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Liverpool, 19.45 SS2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It won't be a pretty game, but if they finally learn how to keep Arshavin quiet then I reckon Liverpool will pick up the 3 pts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well Arsenal without van Persie or Eduardo is always a good thing. I just bloody cringe when I see Arshavin though - the man is lethal.

4-4 anyone? :D

Its a pretty much must win for both sides imo - Liverpool are playing with a bit of form, well, at least grinding out results without playing all that great. Arsenal are on the serious rebound after recent defeats to Man U and Chelsea, so will be baying for blood.

Luckily, they haven't got much of an aerial threat - as without Socky we're lacking in defensive heading power IMO. He's been a rock the past while.

Liverpool need to close them down and afford them no space, or they'll kill us up front. We have a chance from set pieces, but we seriously need to start passing the ball better. Gerrard's performances of late have been encouraging, and if Riera gets a start and is on form we have a chance to attack them at least.

Maybe Kuyt can pop up with another vital goal or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Anyone else worried about tonight, cant see Arsenal losing again!
    There's noone on the team sheet tonight that looks like they could win it for us, except maybe Kuyt?

Lucas;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

K-9 wrote: »
    Gerrard? :o

Yeh hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

As an Arsenal fan i really hope we win this game. Enough is enough for Liverpool. With Man City, Tottenham and Aston Villa breathing down their necks they really need to approach this game with an incentive to win it. That being said they don't have the quality to really hurt Arsenal, Torres is out. If he starts with Babel then that's a sign of intent by Benitez as i really like him as a player, and he can hurt teams if played properly. If Liverpool attack Arsenal it will open up holes for Arshavin to run at them and he's not afraid of shooting, the little Russian, a problem we seem to have as a team.

It all depends on Benitez as Wenger will not change his philosophy and after two demorilising defeats we need to bounce back.....and i believe we will.

2-0 or maybe 2-1 with a nervy finish with Liverpool scoring. If that's the case it may very well be 3-1. If Arsenal score first Liverpool will struggle and Fabregas will have a field day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Nerves shot already,everytime I close my eyes I see Arshavin with finger to mouth celebrating another goal. Really hope we can keep him and Fab under wraps tonight.
    A bit more confident than I would have been 2 months ago(obviously) so I reckon we might nick it by the odd goal hopefully with Kuyt keeping up his hot streak!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

DenMan wrote: »
    As an Arsenal fan i really hope we win this game. Enough is enough for Liverpool. With Man City, Tottenham and Aston Villa breathing down their necks they really need to approach this game with an incentive to win it.

Not necessarily. Our game against City is bigger and anything tonight is a bonus. We've beaten Spurs, Villa and City before that, in 6 pointer games. The pressure will be on City to justify their favourites tag for 4th, especially against a team they know always rises for big games.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeh hopefully!

Riera can be a match winner on his day as well, if you aren't just looking at who scores the goals.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Riera can be a match winner on his day as well, if you aren't just looking at who scores the goals.

Yeah I put in a good word for Riera in my last post also.

If he's on form and starts, we have a chance to attack them at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

Reina

Carragher Skrtel Agger Insua

Mascherano Lucas

Kuyt Gerrard Maxi

Ngog

I'm guessing it'll be a draw, Arsenal will be winning in the first half, Liverpool will come back in the second!
    Thats what i put my money on anyway!

I'm guessing it'll be a draw, Arsenal will be winning in the first half, Liverpool will come back in the second!
    Thats what i put my money on anyway!

for me,if it was going to be a draw, i'd say liverpool to take the lead and arsenal to score late...

pajodublin wrote: »
    for me,if it was going to be a draw, i'd say liverpool to take the lead and arsenal to score late...

Well hopefully we're both wrong and Liverpool win :)

indeed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Gerrard? :o

Yeah, he scores goals...only bigger!...apparently.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

just worried about arshaving to be honest. he could go missing for 70 mins thenm pop up and score:( hopefully maxi will help terrorise their defence tonight. thier defence has been shocking last couple of games but they are strong in attack. i think our mifield can win the battle doh. gerrard lucas mash maxi and maybe kuyt?? good midfield in fairness. hopefully arshaving will start up front. he done nothing up front against man u

Paulegend wrote: »
    just worried about arshaving to be honest. he could go missing for 70 mins thenm pop up and score:( hopefully maxi will help terrorise their defence tonight. thier defence has been shocking last couple of games but they are strong in attack. i think our mifield can win the battle doh. gerrard lucas mash maxi and maybe kuyt?? good midfield in fairness. hopefully arshaving will start up front. he done nothing up front against man u

Arse-shaving? :p

Seriously though, he's the one player I'm scared of for Arsenal. He needs to be handled roughly I think, get him to lose his concentration.

The man can be lethal, as he showed against us last year, and he has been on form this year too.

Arse-shaving? :p

Seriously though, he's the one player I'm scared of for Arsenal. He needs to be handled roughly I think, get him to lose his concentration.

The man can be lethal, as he showed against us last year, and he has been on form this year too.
    :D yea just wish Kyrio was available. he has been our best player as of late. we should have done a "rio" on it and appealed so he could play:D

:D yea just wish Kyrio was available. he has been our best player as of late. we should have done a "rio" on it and appealed so he could play:D

I alluded to that earlier myself! He's been solid as a rock, and seemingly the only CB capable of dealing with crosses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Positivity!!!! I knew you would slip up one day.

• Advertisement

Probable starting lineup:

Reina, Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Insua, Mascherano, Lucas, Riera, Kuyt, Gerrard, Ngog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

As an Arsenal fan i really hope we win this game. Enough is enough for Liverpool. With Man City, Tottenham and Aston Villa breathing down their necks they really need to approach this game with an incentive to win it. That being said they don't have the quality to really hurt Arsenal, Torres is out. If he starts with Babel then that's a sign of intent by Benitez as i really like him as a player, and he can hurt teams if played properly. If Liverpool attack Arsenal it will open up holes for Arshavin to run at them and he's not afraid of shooting, the little Russian, a problem we seem to have as a team.

It all depends on Benitez as Wenger will not change his philosophy and after two demorilising defeats we need to bounce back.....and i believe we will.

2-0 or maybe 2-1 with a nervy finish with Liverpool scoring. If that's the case it may very well be 3-1. If Arsenal score first Liverpool will struggle and Fabregas will have a field day.

Changes nothing with Arsenal as ye have absolutely no capability of sitting back, closing up shop or changing gameplans. Any team has the potential of scoring 3+ v Arsenal. It is all about keeping them out. I would break Arshavin up in the first 25 seconds when the ref is still keen to keep his cards in his pocket to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Splainc wrote: »
    Changes nothing with Arsenal as ye have absolutely no capability of sitting back, closing up shop or changing gameplans. Any team has the potential of scoring 3+ v Arsenal. It is all about keeping them out. I would break Arshavin up in the first 25 seconds when the ref is still keen to keep his cards in his pocket to be honest
    or pool could just go out with Fellaini like haircuts. that ought to do it ;)

Probable starting lineup:

Reina, Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Insua, Mascherano, Lucas, Riera, Kuyt, Gerrard, Ngog.

close. if the white bib thing is anything to go by then swap Reira for maxi and there is the starting line up. id even consider Degan instead of Kuyt if he was fit.

Degan and Kyrio have really won we over lately. just glad that these "squad" players are fighting for their places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I alluded to that earlier myself! He's been solid as a rock, and seemingly the only CB capable of dealing with crosses.

In all honesty, if there was one match in an entire season where we didnt really need a man in defence to clear out endless crosses and speculative hoofs to the front men its probably away at arsenal.

2-1 to Liverpool by my reckoning

daithijjj wrote: »
    In all honesty, if there was one match in an entire season where we didnt really need a man in defence to clear out endless crosses and speculative hoofs to the front men its probably away at arsenal.
    did you watch the united arsenal match??????????????????????

it was all crosses from the goons:D

but yea your right they RARELY play like that. they have no height so we could be ok. just worried......

if i was wenger id play Arshavin against Insua. he would destroy him. just leave Cesc come in from the center and they would walk through our defence. not to mention the pace of walcott against maybe Carra

thats my fear.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

daithijjj wrote: »
    i'd be suprised if there is one cross all night from arsenal.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    if there is it will be to arshavin. and obviously all the corners they will get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

First goal is very important because it means we don't have to overexpose ourselves at the back to try and get ourselves back into the game!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Boom_Bap wrote: »

ypu have not seen the last few arsenal games then no? Stoke, Chelsea, Utd all had a simple gameplan of crowd the centre and deal with the crosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If Liverpool attack Arsenal it will open up holes for Arshavin to run at them and he's not afraid of shooting, the little Russian, a problem we seem to have as a team.

This is why I think Rosicky should start, not afraid of a shot and very direct in his play.

Yeah but if we score first you have to attack us, which plays into our hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

what channel is this on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

did you watch the united arsenal match??????????????????????

it was all crosses from the goons:D

but yea your right they RARELY play like that. they have no height so we could be ok. just worried......

if i was wenger id play Arshavin against Insua. he would destroy him. just leave Cesc come in from the center and they would walk through our defence. not to mention the pace of walcott against maybe Carra

thats my fear.

United nullified arsenals normal way of playing while having a big threat up front. While imo we dont have that same threat, if we can avoid being out run in the centre we could be ok. Arsenal may have thrown in a few crosses against united but when you have been out played its easy to stray away from the norm in desperation to get a break.

I dont think this game will be the same, i simply dont think we have the ball players in the centre. I expect rafa to set them up deep and nicking something on the break, something like keanes goal at the emirates last year. :)

Des wrote: »
    what channel is this on?
    see thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

Nerves shot already,everytime I close my eyes I see Arshavin with finger to mouth celebrating another goal. Really hope we can keep him and Fab under wraps tonight.
    A bit more confident than I would have been 2 months ago(obviously) so I reckon we might nick it by the odd goal hopefully with Kuyt keeping up his hot streak!!

i think Liverpool players should just kick Arshavin, Ro-sickly and Fabrege egg in the first couple of mins and they will then bottle it...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

2-0 Arsenal

Arshavin 7', Fabregas 75'

Weekly Liverpool Scapegoat: Reina

mada999 wrote: »
    i think Liverpool players should just kick Arshavin, Ro-sickly and Fabrege egg in the first couple of mins and they will then bottle it...
    Pool boys dont have to resort to those tactics. Leave it to the bitters for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

C'mon Arshavin The Gooners.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    2-0 Arsenal

Arshavin 7', Fabregas 75'

Weekly Liverpool Scapegoat: Reina

Reina is immune to even the most drunkenly retarded fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I can see Dirk starting as a lone striker tonight. He'd hassle the arsenal defence all night.

carra -- aggar -- skyrel -- insua/aurelio

maxi --- masch---lucas ----riera

gerrard

kuyt

Its hard to call though cos Rafa might want more protection for Carra so he could also play dirk on the wing and have n'gog up front.

I can see Dirk starting as a loan striker tonight. .
    Whose dirk on loan to :D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Fixed :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

is this how you have 6,500 posts or something in like 7 months ?

Jazzy wrote: »
    is this how you have 6,500 posts or something in like 7 months ?
    Jazzy will you go make a very important phone call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I wouldn't be surprised to see Aurelio start at left-wing. Almunia's a weakness in the Arsenal team, and Aurelio's free-kicks could capitalise on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jazzy will you go make a very important phone call

:confused:

Liverpool to compact the centre of the defence and let Arsenal have control of the width, Liverpool on the other hand will look to sneak it from set pieces

1-1

looking forward to the game. Will be tight i think. Thinking it will be a draw. Arsenal cant possibly be that bad defensively for a third game in succession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Have a feeling for Arsenal in this one. Need an early goal and the rest will take care of itself. 3-1 to the Gunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Reina
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Insua
    Kuyt
    Lucas
    Mascherano
    Maxi
    Gerrard
    Ngog