Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Seanad : Feb 9th

Options
  • 10-02-2010 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

My god, I was listening to it there tonight. It really is a pathetic "Speech & Drama" club for middle aged ex/prospective politicans and friends of the establishment. I know we've been through it a thousand times here, but I would nearly give Kenny the vote on the single issue that he would get rid of it.

Today, Terry Leyden (Fianna Fáil),
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/members-hist/default.asp?housetype=1&HouseNum=23&MemberID=636&ConstID=206

was calling on "The Minister" to come in to the house, cos he wanted to explain to him that it wasnt right that Joe Duffy, Marian Fincucane, Miriam OCallaghan and other RTE stars should be allowed to stand for office. This from the party that gave us Charlie Haughey, Ray Burke, Bertie Ahern, P.Flynn and Beverly Flynn....

70k each.. in these economic times.. are you joking??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

That chamber is a national embarrassment. If for no other reason than to get rid of Donie Cassidy from appearing in my bedroom every night, I think we should drop it like a bucket of warm sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The Seanad is a useless talking shop that should be cut as a matter of priority. It serves no useful function at all and really either a retirement home for burnt out has beens or people who couldn't get elected properly. It is a shocking waste of resources at least the President has some PR function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

And here is another looper

Fianna Fáil Senator Paschal Mooney has defended his comments that media criticism of politicians who travel abroad St Patrick’s Day junkets is an act of “national sabotage”.
    http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=7793&PHPSESSID=666dab5601632bc7b8dea497522a5ac3

National Sabotage? has the guy lost the plot?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Would I be right in saying that the primary function of the upper house is to make sure that the governing party/coalition in the lower house cannot pass any crazy laws?
    Has the Seanad opposed any legislation in recent times?
    What is it that they do all the time?

I had the misfortune to have a college lecturer who was an who was utterly imcompetent arrogant windbag. He ran for the Dail, failed and now is in the Seanad where by the sounds of it, he fits in perfectly.

Advertisement