Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the going wages for driveing tractor

• 10-02-2010 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

whats the going wages for someone driveing tractor for contractor at silage time ? per hour .
    job seeking at minute, most contractors are full already for silage season

bk1991

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It will be lower than other years. Plenty of young fellas willing to work long hours for pittance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

It will be lower than other years. Plenty of young fellas willing to work long hours for pittance

what do u call pittance between 8 and 10 /hr

well if i can get job paying between 8 and 10 euro hr i wouldnt say no

bk1991 wrote: »
    what do u call pittance between 8 and 10 /hr

well if i can get job paying between 8 and 10 euro hr i wouldnt say no

Nor should ya.

I mean there's loads of 16/17 year old lads who'll work for, maybe €6/7 an hour cash in hand. At that age is super money for driving around all day. Depending on your experience, and if ya know who your goin working for you'll get more. Minimum wage is €8.65 or something, but thats generally ignored

Nor should ya.

I mean there's loads of 16/17 year old lads who'll work for, maybe €6/7 an hour cash in hand. At that age is super money for driving around all day. Depending on your experience, and if ya know who your goin working for you'll get more. Minimum wage is €8.65 or something, but thats generally ignored
    16/17 yearolds working for 6/7 euro where are u .here they woulnt do it for 10 or more i know one 17 yo getting 25 euro hr for driveing mad money . i am 19 id settle for 7 or 8 hr woulnt be a fan of getting paid by the day as a day can be any number hrs .

bk1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 D.Watson

There were the best of lads drawing silage round here for €80 to €100 a day last season so I can't see wages getting any better this year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

16/17 yearolds working for 6/7 euro where are u .here they woulnt do it for 10 or more i know one 17 yo getting 25 euro hr for driveing mad money . i am 19 id settle for 7 or 8 hr woulnt be a fan of getting paid by the day as a day can be any number hrs .

bk1991

im on 8 an hour. im 18 now but was 17 during the silage season last year. i was either drawing silage or mowing.

im on 8 an hour. im 18 now but was 17 during the silage season last year. i was either drawing silage or mowing.

id be happy with 7 or 8 euro an hour anyway very hard to get job wit any of em now

bk1991

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

well the way it goes here in general is if there is a farmers son or even the farmer who gives the contractor work then they will get the job first. contractors will only hire people who give them business back if you know what i mean. like the contractor i work for has both our silage cuts to do every year.

well the way it goes here in general is if there is a farmers son or even the farmer who gives the contractor work then they will get the job first. contractors will only hire people who give them business back if you know what i mean. like the contractor i work for has both our silage cuts to do every year.

well kinda same up here i am after trying i am after trying 7 contractors 5 of em have same guys as last year and two said to ring in middle april but no point on waiting on ringing on em as theres a big chance that they will have nothing .
    bk1991

• Registered Users Posts: 37 porscheman

A competent driver and operator is worth €10 to €12 euro per hour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

porscheman wrote: »
    A competent driver and operator is worth €10 to €12 euro per hour

A competent farmer (the ultimate employer) on that basis should be worth say €25 an hour. But does he earn that? Does he hell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

bk1991
    The lad that is making 25 euro/hr is talking the same stuff I empty out of the slats every year.;)

Last year lads would have been getting 7/8 euro an hr,cash in hand.This year will be completely different this summer,there is lads that are employed all year round and will work for the summer at this work for less than 7 euro,once they get cash in hand they still get Dole/Stamp money.

I know a freind of mine was working for cash in hand last summer for 60euro a day and he did some long days.When I asked him how it was worth that kind of money,he said working for 60 a day is better than sitting at home,bored silly.Thats the way things are gone.

Famring is the same as building is now.I got a price quote on getting blockwork done on a house this time last year,the lad that priced said he couldn't do it for less than 80c a block,I turned him down and im now getting the work re-priced a year on.The same lad will do it for 45c this year.

Best advice to you is forget about Silage contracting,Hedge cutting or Drainage for Farmers.Like I advised you on previous threads,go to a farm in NZ/OZ and experience life there for a while.I can put you in contact with a NZ farm.

The lad that is making 25 euro/hr is talking the same stuff I empty out of the slats every year.;)

Last year lads would have been getting 7/8 euro an hr,cash in hand.This year will be completely different this summer,there is lads that are employed all year round and will work for the summer at this work for less than 7 euro,once they get cash in hand they still get Dole/Stamp money.

I know a freind of mine was working for cash in hand last summer for 60euro a day and he did some long days.When I asked him how it was worth that kind of money,he said working for 60 a day is better than sitting at home,bored silly.Thats the way things are gone.

Famring is the same as building is now.I got a price quote on getting blockwork done on a house this time last year,the lad that priced said he couldn't do it for less than 80c a block,I turned him down and im now getting the work re-priced a year on.The same lad will do it for 45c this year.

Best advice to you is forget about Silage contracting,Hedge cutting or Drainage for Farmers.Like I advised you on previous threads,go to a farm in NZ/OZ and experience life there for a while.I can put you in contact with a NZ farm.

i am looking for summer work here because i am hopefully accepted in reaseheath agriculture college in the uk to do agriculture engerring and am trying make up the cash to cover the fees . will be heading for usa this time next year to do 2nd years placement that will pay for third year .

as u say cash in hand and dole theres loads doing that ... i just dont to say a price to the contractors that will make em look else where

bk1991

i am looking for summer work here because i am hopefully accepted in reaseheath agriculture college in the uk to do agriculture engerring and am trying make up the cash to cover the fees . will be heading for usa this time next year to do 2nd years placement that will pay for third year .

as u say cash in hand and dole theres loads doing that ... i just dont to say a price to the contractors that will make em look else where

bk1991
    Thats great news.Best of luck in the UK for next year.If you ask a contractor for a job,there not going to ask yuou how much you want.Tractor drivers are two a penny and its not hard done,any young lad with a bit of cop on can drive one.
    Would not consider trying to get work on an English farm for the summer???

BeeDI wrote: »
    A competent farmer (the ultimate employer) on that basis should be worth say €25 an hour. But does he earn that? Does he hell?

I m sick of listening to farmers crying about no money all the time

If you are a farmer and your not making any money treat it like any other business and pack it up

Farmers get more money and bailouts from the state than anybody else and it is a discrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

If you are a farmer and your not making any money treat it like any other business and pack it up

Farmers get more money and bailouts from the state than anybody else and it is a discrace

if you dislike farmers so much why leave reply on the farming forum? :confused:
    obviously you dont know much about the way farming works.

Here we go again :(

mossfort wrote: »
    if you dislike farmers so much why leave reply on the farming forum? :confused:
    obviously you dont know much about the way farming works.

I do not dislike Farmers just the whingers who complain about no money all the time

I probably know a lot more about farming than most on this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

A very presumptious statement ....

I've read some very good advice here on this forum and I've no doubt there are some very knowledgeable farmers posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Would you care to share some of your expert knowledge with us!
    Give us the basis of your great wisdom!

B

• Advertisement

Thats great news.Best of luck in the UK for next year.If you ask a contractor for a job,there not going to ask yuou how much you want.Tractor drivers are two a penny and its not hard done,any young lad with a bit of cop on can drive one.
    Would not consider trying to get work on an English farm for the summer???

some guys i rang said '' what sort money would you be looking for ''
    i have try another few guys tomorrow fingers crossed

we starting another rant on here :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I do not dislike Farmers just the whingers who complain about no money all the time

If you know so much about farming then why don't you give just a couple of pearls of wisdom as to how farmers can make a living, nevermind a profit, from farming given the current market prices

go on tell us so we can all drive porsche's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭maidhcII

Tipp Man wrote: »
    If you know so much about farming then why don't you give just a couple of pearls of wisdom as to how farmers can make a living, nevermind a profit, from farming given the current market prices

I think he is making a valid point, unfotuneately. No one owes anyone an living, builders, gardaí or farmers.

I was mad into tractors when I was younger, and one day I was at a machinery dealership with my father getting bits for a tractor we were doing up. The owner called my father into his office and told him to do all in his power to keep me away from machinery and farming unless I wanted to spend my life scraping a living. He was right!

I suggest the OP keep as far away from machinery and farming as possible until he has a decent qualification or trade under his belt.

Things will change when farmers start accepting farming as a business, not a way of life... it is a romantic thing to say, but one which plays right into the hands of astute business men like Larry Goodman et al.

maidhcII wrote: »
    I think he is making a valid point, unfotuneately. No one owes anyone an living, builders, gardaí or farmers.

I was mad into tractors when I was younger, and one day I was at a machinery dealership with my father getting bits for a tractor we were doing up. The owner called my father into his office and told him to do all in his power to keep me away from machinery and farming unless I wanted to spend my life scraping a living. He was right!

I suggest the OP keep as far away from machinery and farming as possible until he has a decent qualification or trade under his belt.

Things will change when farmers start accepting farming as a business, not a way of life... it is a romantic thing to say, but one which plays right into the hands of astute business men like Larry Goodman et al.

i am hopefully going to a ag college in uk to get a qualification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

i think picking larry goodman as an example was not the best idea.
    (1) he controls a major share of the meat processing industry in ireland and the uk and and it is these companies that are continually lowering the prices farmers are receiving for their cattle . irish cattle prices are far behind prices being paid in the uk.
    (2)larry goodman receives one of the largest sfp in ireland.
    (3)larry goodman had to be bailed out of finincial trouble all those years ago by cj haughey and co.

mossfort wrote: »
    i think picking larry goodman as an example was not the best idea.
    (1) he controls a major share of the meat processing industry in ireland and the uk and and it is these companies that are continually lowering the prices farmers are receiving for their cattle . irish cattle prices are far behind prices being paid in the uk.
    (2)larry goodman receives one of the largest sfp in ireland.
    (3)larry goodman had to be bailed out of finincial trouble all those years ago by cj haughey and co.

That is my point exactly. You also won't find larry goodman too concerned about a lame heifer on a sunday night or the best time to cut hay.

What we do have in this country though is herds of farmers willing to accept whatever price AIBP & Co pay, and by and large they have no choice as they are all small and fragmented and by all accounts seem to be happy to sell their produce at a loss on an ongoing basis.

If farming was run like a business like anywhere else we would have a few big farmers who could actually deal with processors as equals.. or maybe we would have no farmers, and producers would import everything.... I'm not sure! What we wouldn't have are idiots both in an outside the IFA who continually bleat on about the family farm being a sustainable way of life when clearly it isn't.

Tipp Man wrote: »

I dont claim to know lots about farming and dont own a Porsche just like the name

If it is not paying pack it in and if farmers need me or anybody else to tell them how to make a living then they really are in trouble

I am not having a go just pointing out the facts that farming is one of the only business that i know that seems to go on year after year losing money so why keep doing it and it is costing the taxpayer a fortune

Some very valid points at last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Farmers get money from the EU not the irish tax payer for this money they have to keep endless amount of paperwork borrow to upgrade their farms to eu standerds follow endless eu rules and keep 1000s of department staff employed to check our records.
    Then they also have to produce cheap food at below cost eg. milk at 20cent a litre and it makes over a euro in the shop.(new age slavery)
    Most farmers are not qualfied to get other jobs even if the were jobs out there and can not draw the dole as they were self employed if they do give up.Most dont want to sell as they would like to pass it to their children as they got it sort of like selling graddads gold watch or selling Ireland to the brits etc.
    As for grants I would rather get a fair price for what I produce any day
    Farmers are the only workers I know who get less now than they did 20 years ago for milk beef grain etc.
    If civel servents wages were cut to what they were 20 years ago not only would they complain they would stop the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

the SINGLE FARM PAYMENT is a mechanism to support the farmers for having to produce cheap food to feed the people of Europe, following that,

the SFP is indirectly payed to the end consumer.

it has always been the policy of the eu/us etc. to provide cheap food for the masses wheather they admit to that or not is another thing

its a pity the smart educated people of this country didn't realise this, it would save this argument being re-hashed all the time

dar31 wrote: »
    the SINGLE FARM PAYMENT is a mechanism to support the farmers for having to produce cheap food to feed the people of Europe, following that,

the SFP is indirectly payed to the end consumer.

it has always been the policy of the eu/us etc. to provide cheap food for the masses wheather they admit to that or not is another thing

its a pity the smart educated people of this country didn't realise this, it would save this argument being re-hashed all the time

And it completely distorts the market and doesn't lead to cheap food, it essentially goes to the processors and middlemen who take huge markups between the artificially low farm gate price and the high price at the shop.

Meanwhile farmers are actually known to spend the SFP running their farming enterprise, thus not only loosing money on their enterprise, but also eating into a lump sum given to them. For as long as that metality exists no one will go anywhere.

But the more relevant issue is the OPs query. Unless you are going to fall into a farm of 250+ acres I'd suggest getting a training in a different area, mechanic, tradesman, go to college, engineering, computers... anything really.

I'd image with so many guys let go from the building and with very good experience it will be hard for anyone under the age of 25 to get a job with a contractor this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

If farming was run like a business like anywhere else we would have a few big farmers who could actually deal with processors as equals.. or maybe we would have no farmers, and producers would import everything.... I'm not sure! .

It would more than likely be the second option. Farming in this country these days is propped up by grants, and if any farmer was a true businessman he`d have quit long ago as he would have made more money doing just about anything else.

Its all well and good to say they should they should gang together against the processors, but that doesnt do anything for them, because its the shops that force the prices down, and ultimately the customers. If somebody saw a pint of milk go up by 20c-50c overnight they would be straight down to lidl or the like to buy stuff from NI or the UK, its the same with everything else, Irish farms cant compete with larger setups in other countrys in this single market. I think its probably going to get worse if countries like the ukraine join in, they have absolutely massive tracts of farmland and no crazy EU regulations like nitrates.

Same deal with Argentinian beef, over here farmers meat needs to be fully traceable with no antibiotics before a certain period. A small fortune was spent keeping foot and mouth out of the country, slaughtering animals and so on (to be fair this wasn't solely footed by the farmers or anything) over there its just a fact of life, and god knows what they`ll put into the animals drug wise. But your average joe will go for the old steak thats a few euros cheaper.

Farming will never be able to pull in the same money as people were on building sites, or doing any other job in the housing fuelled economy, so they will only ever pay minimum wage. Your right in saying somebody shouldnt aim to operate machinery solely, but its good work during the summer if you like it.

djmc wrote: »
    Farmers get money from the EU not the irish tax payer for this money they have to keep endless amount of paperwork borrow to upgrade their farms to eu standerds follow endless eu rules and keep 1000s of department staff employed to check our records.
    Then they also have to produce cheap food at below cost eg. milk at 20cent a litre and it makes over a euro in the shop.(new age slavery)
    Most farmers are not qualfied to get other jobs even if the were jobs out there and can not draw the dole as they were self employed if they do give up.Most dont want to sell as they would like to pass it to their children as they got it sort of like selling graddads gold watch or selling Ireland to the brits etc.
    As for grants I would rather get a fair price for what I produce any day
    Farmers are the only workers I know who get less now than they did 20 years ago for milk beef grain etc.
    If civel servents wages were cut to what they were 20 years ago not only would they complain they would stop the country

Farmers do get money from the taxpayer thats a fact and a lot more than any other type of business

Here is an example over Xmas the heavy frost damaged crops and potatoes in my area and now the government are bailing them out with compensation for the loss of the crops but my own and many other peoples business lost money last year on products we had in stock that had to be sold below cost because the econmeny went pear shaped but we wont get any compensation now that is hardley fair but the difference is we just get on with it

Also the farmers that lost potatoes should have had them out of the ground long before christmas but because they keep growing more and more every year it has come to the stage where there is not enough days in the year to harvest them and that is one of the main reasons the have to sell below cost

THEY SHOULD GET NOTHING FROM THE STATE AS THEY TOOK THE RISK GROWING POTATOES TO LEAVE IN THE GROUND OVER THE WINTER

Farmers dont have to produce stuff below cost they can pack it in its that simple nobody is forcing them to do anything

And as for not wanting to sell the land and pass it on it is very well for them they must be comfortable enough because there is many people on this island that dont have any land to pass on

Farmers do get money from the taxpayer thats a fact and a lot more than any other type of business

In fairness that is not true. The banks have stolen our thunder in that regard, and with style.

(and the banks are even bigger basket cases than farming in Ireland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Havent heard of farmers getting paid for potato loss have you any link to back that up.
    I do agree farmers should get nothing though it would drive them out of buisness and lead to food shortages in the EU followed by high food prices.
    Maybe then people would take notice:D

• Advertisement

djmc wrote: »
    Havent heard of farmers getting paid for potato loss have you any link to back that up.
    I do agree farmers should get nothing though it would drive them out of buisness and lead to food shortages in the EU followed by high food prices.
    Maybe then people would take notice:D

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/compensation-deal-agreed-for-farmers-hit-by-cold-snap-444729.html

In fairness that is not true. The banks have stolen our thunder in that regard, and with style.

(and the banks are even bigger basket cases than farming in Ireland)

The banks will be paying it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

nice.... do you have a farm? Do you have a relevant qualification in the agriculture sector? I still cant see your statement being backed up by any of your posts as of yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Here is an example over Xmas the heavy frost damaged crops and potatoes in my area and now the government are bailing them out with compensation for the loss of the crops but my own and many other peoples business lost money last year on products we had in stock that had to be sold below cost because the econmeny went pear shaped but we wont get any compensation now that is hardley fair but the difference is we just get on with it

Also the farmers that lost potatoes should have had them out of the ground long before christmas but because they keep growing more and more every year it has come to the stage where there is not enough days in the year to harvest them and that is one of the main reasons the have to sell below cost

THEY SHOULD GET NOTHING FROM THE STATE AS THEY TOOK THE RISK GROWING POTATOES TO LEAVE IN THE GROUND OVER THE WINTER

Farmers dont have to produce stuff below cost they can pack it in its that simple nobody is forcing them to do anything

And as for not wanting to sell the land and pass it on it is very well for them they must be comfortable enough because there is many people on this island that dont have any land to pass on
    powerful post there porscheman i take it you dont like farmers so:D

the farmers coulnt get into the feilds with the wet weather let alone put the harvester down the drills to harvest anything other that balls of muck

• Advertisement

In fairness, they`ll have a long way to go to catch up with the bankers and property developers in this country.

Individual businesses can be left to go bankrupt on there own, as it doesnt really cause any massive damage to the economy. On the other hand, if the state left half the potato farmers in the country go out of business they would cause a massive knock on effect to processors etc.

I`m not a potato expert, but Id imagine that if its like any other farming in Ireland then leaving the potatos in ground was more about survival than greed.

the farmers coulnt get into the feilds with the wet weather let alone put the harvester down the drills to harvest anything other that balls of muck

There was no problem getting into fields in north dublin and meath in september and october when late potatoes are supposed to be harvested and plenty of guys were digging in November and December The problem is because they have been doing this for the last few years and the winters were milder they got away with it and start putting more spuds in the ground

whelan1 wrote: »
    powerful post there porscheman i take it you dont like farmers so:D

No problem with farmers at all in fact a lot of my friends are farmers

I just feel if the government keep giving them money farms will never be profitable

imitation wrote: »
    Individual businesses can be left to go bankrupt on there own, as it doesnt really cause any massive damage to the economy. On the other hand, if the state left half the potato farmers in the country go out of business they would cause a massive knock on effect to processors etc.

I`m not a potato expert, but Id imagine that if its like any other farming in Ireland then leaving the potatos in ground was more about survival than greed.

Individual business are what keeps the economy going with vat and taxes

Farmers take a lot more from the government than any business

Processers will not go out of business they will import the products they need

A good chunk of farmers grants come from the EU, thats external money being injected straight into the Irish economy, not ideal I know but it has its benifits

How would it make any sense to import potatoes and then process them ?

And for how long? there is a shortage of food in the world and countries won't be willing to ship product from the southern hemisphere passing all other importing countries along the way that they could sell to for less transport costs, we are an island on the edge of Europe! Also, food prices in this case would rise for the consumer, pushing up inflation and again leading to an over priced economy, rip off republic would become twice as bad.

with regard to the comment "Farmers take a lot more from the government than any business". . . how about the view that Farmers give alot to the country with jobs, food, a clean image for food etc.

When you start your turkey business and find how much paper work on top of physical work is involved, whilst being a price taker i.e. this time next year I would like to see your opinion. Im pissed off at people expecting food to be there all the time, there are only so many days of food in reserve in the world, securing food supply and security is a must for any nation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

farmers pay tax too you know

Lads this thread started over advice on the going rate for tractor driving.I think you have hitch hicked this thread.

Mods should probably close this down.

Lads this thread started over advice on the going rate for tractor driving.I think you have hitch hicked this thread.

Mods should probably close this down.

or start another thread about this topic, with regards to the topic, i agree with whats been said before, plenty young fellas, most of whom would have got a job as a labourer on a site in the past and now looking for a job with cash, 100 a day is a going rate in these times around these parts - wheather it is 18 hour day or 10, but if your working in spring up to autumn i reckon getting paid by the hour is the only way prob 10 -12 an hour if your any bit deacent and no scratches :D

There was no problem getting into fields in north dublin and meath in september and october when late potatoes are supposed to be harvested and plenty of guys were digging in November and December The problem is because they have been doing this for the last few years and the winters were milder they got away with it and start putting more spuds in the ground

could you please tell us what you work at porscheman

oct.nov and early dec the ground was flooded we got hard to pull 8 tonne around beside harvester with 2 and 3 tractors .

everyone is saying the farmers get grants from goverment and the like and there is ad on tv about buy irish and the like . very little give a **** wheather the milk comes from down the road or abroad .

there is a full time farmer and then there was the part time farmers inc the public sector farmers that were getting more sfp than the full time farmers

bk1991

ps :about the wages i am happey with 7 to 10 euro an hour i think i got a job will know in next week fingers crosses

i dont mind the thread hyjacked its quite interesting

• Advertisement
Advertisement