Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn Lucan!

Options
  • 10-02-2010 4:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

The price of their beer did not drop after the budget and now they have increased the price of a can by 1 cent, Tescos have dropped the price of all their drink which is where I go to buy all me booze.

A 500ml can of heineken is 2 euros in Superquinn, 1.86 in tecos.
    A 500ml bottle of Erdinger weiss beer is 2.69 in Superquinn, only 2.19 in tescos.

I will be confronting the suits in superquinn about this and if that fails I will lodge a complaint with the consumer agency, recession is still going on and still companies are trying to rip us off and counteract what the government is trying to do by lowering VAT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Always amazed why people still shop in Superquinn, always been a rip off and IMHO it's purely down to snobbery why people continue to shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Always amazed why people still shop in Superquinn, always been a rip off and IMHO it's purely down to snobbery why people continue to shop there.

Have to disagree, I have always found the bakery & butcher sections worth going in for alone. Personally, would do this shopping in superquinn and the rest in tesco. Superquinn also do some great hot food to takeaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

technonerd wrote: »
    Tescos have dropped the price of all their drink which is where I go to buy all me booze.

A 500ml bottle of Erdinger weiss beer is 2.69 in Superquinn, only 2.19 in tescos.

I will be confronting the suits in superquinn about this and if that fails I will lodge a complaint with the consumer agency,

Then buy the blasted beer in Tesco. What has the "Consumer Agency" got to do with it? Prices for booze vary all over the place. If it's cheaper somewhere else then buy it somewhere else. :rolleyes: That's not Rip Off it's just a moan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 technonerd

Then buy the blasted beer in Tesco. What has the "Consumer Agency" got to do with it? Prices for booze vary all over the place. If it's cheaper somewhere else then buy it somewhere else. :rolleyes: That's not Rip Off it's just a moan!

I forgot about this thread. ;)

I do buy it in Tescos and I have mentioned it to the manager in store that I will not be buying drink in the shop anymore, and If I want to moan about something I can! and it is a rip off.
    What has the "Consumer Agency" got to do with it?

Well when the government drop vat on alcohol and a supermarket does not pass on that saving then I think they should know about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

2 cases of 20 beers for 30 yoyos special offer on at minute in the old quinnser...

picked myself up 40 heineken....cheeep as chips.. same deal on bud and miller..op your looking at it all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Well when the government drop vat on alcohol and a supermarket does not pass on that saving then I think they should know about it?

The VAT change on a singly bottle of beer would only be a couple of cent at most, Tesco are a massive, multinational operation who have far greater buying power than Superquinn. Superquinn also stock a wider range of Beers which probably doesn't allow them sell beer at cost etc.

You're certainly talking a lot of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I forgot about this thread. ;

When the VAT went up half of one percent, did SQ put up the price?
    If they didnt, then why would they put it down?

For the sake of half of a percent, I ignored the whole thing, the increase and then the subsequent decrease. Does that make me a rip-off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

The price of their beer did not drop after the budget

For the record I just want to say that Superquinn did drop their price of beer, and everything else, after the budget. I shop there every week. The change was minimal - 1-2c on most items.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Crate of Erdinger Weisse in Duesseldorf runs at about 13 euros for a crate of 20x500 ml bottles and thats expensive by German standards.

A crate of Schofferhoffer was going for 5.60 for a crate a month ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When the VAT went up half of one percent, did SQ put up the price?
    it is the duty he would be talking about, when the budget was being called out the minister made this cringeworthy pathetic threat that he would put the duty back up if sellers of alcohol did not pass it onto the customer. Most places did, and it was like the euro changeover -i.e. remember all the prices in shops were €1.27 and other mulitples of the conversion rate. A lot of off licences and supermarkets reduced their alcohol prices by the exact rate of duty that dropped.

I remember O'Briens standard €1 cans (hollandia/bavaria) dropped to something like 87c -they are now back to €1 though. Many offlicence 4 packs had €5 on the packaging yet supervalu and others charged less than this.
    Recent CSO data show that 44 per cent of cross border shoppers buy alcohol. To protect exchequer revenue and stem the flow of cross border shopping, I have decided to reduce excise duty on alcohol products. The reductions will be as follows:

12 cent per pint of beer and cider;
    14 cent per half glass of spirits; and
    60 cent per standard bottle of wine.

All these reductions are VAT inclusive. I expect the drinks industry to play its part in making the cost of alcohol more competitive. If I find this reduction has not been passed on to the consumer I will reverse today’s reduction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

The price of their beer did not drop after the budget and now they have increased the price of a can by 1 cent, Tescos have dropped the price of all their drink which is where I go to buy all me booze.

I will be confronting the suits in superquinn about this and if that fails I will lodge a complaint with the consumer agency, recession is still going on and still companies are trying to rip us off and counteract what the government is trying to do by lowering VAT.

Take your trade elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

jock101 wrote: »
    Take your trade elsewhere!

This thread is six months old. /flogging.

Advertisement