Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just How Rubbish Is Your Local Tesco?

Options
  • 10-02-2010 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Well I'm wondering. My own local on Prussia street is pretty damn awful. They regularly run out of whole product lines. You can often walk in and find no bread, no milk, no mushrooms at all. How on earth do they manage to run out of entire products? It hasn't just happened the odd time, you could forgive them that, but it happens all the time.

I know, I should shop somewhere else but Tesco is a 30sec walk away whereas the next nearest supermarket is a 20min trip in both directions.

So just how bad is yours?
    (Images are clickable)

No Bread:
    4345299212_2a14cc0473_m.jpg

No Mushrooms:
    4344558575_8b83f2a8b0_m.jpg

No Soup:
    4344558861_90a2c91787_m.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

And I thought my local in Midleton was bad when it doesn't restock cod fish cakes.......Seriously though, the management in Tescos now seems to be non-existent. Dunnes on the other hand, have more managers than customers in Douglas.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've seen Tesco in Mahon Point out of milk & potatoes which is fairly damning seeing as they're staple food items.

I've also seen them (back in the days) out of nappies - this always amazed me.

A major part of their problem is lack of floor managers who should wander around and spot the gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Went to Midleton the other day to get the meal deal.......no red wine left. Went to Mahon Point the next day.......no deal wine left at all (at 12.00)! I also find the stores to often be quite dirty and messy. Give me Aldi anyday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You should send those pictures on to their head office with a nice disgruntled customer letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Looks like your store is regularly hit with waves of zombies...

I suggest a stereotypical pump-action shotgun. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Beaking News.

Panic Buying :eek:

All the Toyota owners are stocking up with basic food supplies fearing that they could be off the road soon. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

The Tesco on Prussia St. isn't great, but I haven't seen it in that state since moving to the area in November 2009.
    The Tesco at Phibsoborough Shopping Centre is less than 1.5km away and seems to have much more selection.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Beaking News.

Panic Buying :eek:

All the Toyota owners are stocking up with basic food supplies fearing that they could be off the road soon. :eek:
    If youre a Toyota owning, Halifax customer who shops at tesco and voted for George Lee, then youre completely buggered.

Our tesco doesnt have empty shelves unless you go in in the evenings, when you usually will only get the dregs of the bread or fruit and veg. Pricing is terrible though, inaccurate or missing on items all over the place. Once they run out of a non staple item, like bread soda or a certain flavour of soup, :) you can wait months for it to come back in. And when it does, its often dearer than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Tesco in Rathmines is not much better, whatever bread they do have is usually green, no mushrooms, 'furry' tomatoes etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Mallow Tesco is terrible too, albeit not as bad as the OP's. Restocking is their main problem, staples they used to have for ages are suddenly gone :P like White Strong Flour. (Had to go to Supervalue to get it :P). And is very cramped, not to mention expensive. TESCO is strictly for BOGOFs and stuff the Lidl down the road hasn't got ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

I remember when that Tesco's on Prussia St was shut down by the health inspector cos of a rat infestation. It was back in the 90s sometime.

But as a shop it's still pretty awful, you can never get everything you need and I still silently shudder everytime I walk in thinking of the rats...

Fortunately I dont' have to go there too often!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

jspruit wrote: »
    The Tesco on Prussia St. isn't great, but I haven't seen it in that state since moving to the area in November 2009.
    The Tesco at Phibsoborough Shopping Centre is less than 1.5km away and seems to have much more selection.

Yep I could go there but it is a fair walk there and back and laden down with bags of groceries.
    Suzyq wrote: »
    I remember when that Tesco's on Prussia St was shut down by the health inspector cos of a rat infestation. It was back in the 90s sometime.

But as a shop it's still pretty awful, you can never get everything you need and I still silently shudder everytime I walk in thinking of the rats...

Fortunately I dont' have to go there too often!

I've heard from several different people about that. Thankfully I wasn't shopping there when that was happening. Still it makes you wonder what problems there might be that you don't know about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I'm from Wexford but living in Dublin. New store in Wexford town seems to be properly managed but most stores I've visited in Dublin are appalling. Main complaints as follows:

1. Rarely baskets inside the door, you have to go looking for them at checkouts (not once have I actually got one at the door in Clear water, my nearest one and got a basket at the door)
    2. Massive gaps on shelves at all times of days, and as the OP says its not exotic stuff I'm on about, quite often bread, veg etc even reasonably early in the morning
    3. Always huge queues at the check out, fair enough if all tils are open but not when there are 20 people queues and 5 or 6 check outs not open
    4. Cleanliness of stores, a lot of the time I find the floors (and sometimes the shelving) filthy
    5. SELs in the wrong place or no SELs at all
    6. Quite often they have quibbled with me over their no quibble guarante!!

I spend years working in Dunnes when I was in school/college and had any manager I worked with run their store like most Tesco stores I visit in Dublin they wouldn't have lasted too long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

the one in Ballyfermot (beside my old college) was infamous. I remember the backs of the big fridges where the sandwichs were kept had mould all over them!ew!:eek:

and the staff were unreal,always too busy chatting amongst themselves to serve customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

Couldn't agree more about Rathmines,they regularly run out of milk (about a 15 ft section)and the place is grotty.You never see any manager to complain to and once they were out of soap- all kinds- for about a month!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Tesco Stillorgan = worst Tesco ever. Regularly out of products, and also has a lot of products on the shelves that are out of date. Queues are always massive cos they only have about 3 tills open at the really busy times.

Tesco in Bloomfields in DunLaoghaire is the best one IMO, it's always well stocked and plenty of tills open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Tesco Balbriggan. It's even in a dimly lit basement, for that added touch of despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Tesco Balbriggan. It's even in a dimly lit basement, for that added touch of despair.

Oh I remember this well. We lived out in Balbriggan for a year. It brilliantly closed at 7pm just as the trains were arriving back from town with everyone on them, so you could only ever shop there at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

In Tesco Dundrum some of the fruit and veg are often going off. It's horrible. Superquinn ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Artfully Dodgin

The store in New Ross is very impressive with a huge diverse range of products, electrical, clothes, DIY and every little thing you could think of and available 24/5. Its like a shopping centre in one.

Have noticed the bread shelves are completely empty as if they were moving the area to someplace else. Might be a purchasing issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

They display the Selection boxs and tins of Roses from 22nd September.
    But you could argue there are many culprits of that.

On a related Tesco issue, where have the ready made Potato Skins gone to? I used to love them but cant find them in any Tesco now.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Tesco Prussia St is beyond useless. Shelves not restocked throughout the day, no baskets at the doors most of the time, ignorant staff. Stopped shopping there about a year ago. Shop in Aldi in town now on my way home. Few things in Dunnes now and again, but its not much better than tesco tbh. Aldi all the way!

(The Centra in Stoneybatter Village is actually quite well stocked and reasonable aswell. You wouldn't get a big shop there though I suppose. Plenty of special offers and friendly staff too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

Recent trip to a "tesco's" in Dublin, store was near closing, I had just finished work and was looking for some "essentials" on my way home. Ran around trying to grab the stuff I needed, where an over eager staff member kept reapeating over the intercom at 2 min intervals (much to the delight of the other staff) "this store will be closing in 25 mins, this store will be closing in 23 mins etc....) I grabbed my Tuesday bottle of wine, for the old desperate housewives, a few bits and bob's. By the time I reached the check out it was almost 6.58pm (only one checkout open).

The highly trained customer service advisor, advised me "ye will not be able to buy that bottle of wine, ye will have to leave it there "cos" we can't serve it at the checkout?!?! Ye should have paid it at (the unmanned) offlicence?!?! I replied I think not, I will be paying with my laser card and shall not be making two transactions in this store, I can pay in any other tesco this way and shall pay the same here. She called her "manager" who proceeded to tell me that "you are ridiculous, this is how we do it, so you will have to leave it there" Again I told her "NO" and if you'd like I will leave this €100 something worth of shopping here for you to redistribute to the shelves... she did after much mumbling and cursing agree for me to pay for my bottle of wine and be on my way......

To add insult to injury when I went to use the chicken I had bought I found it was out of date, the bread was out of date and the nan bread's were out of date..... shame on tesco i will NEVER shop there again!!

I agree Aldi and lidl all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 1nk3d4L1f3

Some Tesco's seem crap from your stories. I work nights and go to Tesco's around 4am to do my shopping. And all the schelves are being restocked at that time so it's happy dayz for me...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

My local Tesco isn't so bad. I won't go near my local Dunnes or SuperValu though. Overpriced and awful service ... wonderful combination.

We do all our shopping in the North ... ASDA and Iceland mainly and the few bits we need ... bread and milk etc. ... we get in our local Tesco or Lidl/Aldi.

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

You should send those pictures on to their head office with a nice disgruntled customer letter.

Their head office is sh1te, I sent 3 letters of complaint and still nobody has gotten back to me :mad:

Small claims court it is so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Small claims court it is so :D
    For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I use the one just off donore road drogheda. Its well stocked. Although there price fluctuates like the weather.

My mum uses the one in ballymun. Jesus its bad.

The ashbourne one is well stocked as well

Have to admit, I'm quite shocked at the portrayal of Tesco in this thread. The Tesco (24hour) in Drogheda is, in my own personal opinion, fantastic. Every time I've visited, it's spotless, full of stock and everything is priced properly. There's a lack of staff after dark and you have to use the Self-service a lot then, though, which is a bit of a downside but not too bad.

It's probably so good because it's 24/7 though. Constant staff use = constantly in good condition?

Shocked at how poor the one looks in the pictures in the original post. Shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Have to admit, I'm quite shocked at the portrayal of Tesco in this thread. The Tesco (24hour) in Drogheda is, in my own personal opinion, fantastic. Every time I've visited, it's spotless, full of stock and everything is priced properly. There's a lack of staff after dark and you have to use the Self-service a lot then, though, which is a bit of a downside but not too bad.

Agreed, it is an excellent store BUT it's a Tesco EXTRA; it's most of the normal Tesco's that are woefully bad.

Irish supermarkets in general are terrible. You only have to shop in Sainsbury's or Waitrose to see that.

Advertisement