Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just How Rubbish Is Your Local Tesco?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Nothing wrong with Tesco Clare Hall I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I use the one just off donore road drogheda. Its well stocked. Although there price fluctuates like the weather.

My mum uses the one in ballymun. Jesus its bad.

The ashbourne one is well stocked as well
    Deffo +1 on that!

The tesco in the Omni SC is so much better its unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

eth0_ wrote: »
    Agreed, it is an excellent store BUT it's a Tesco EXTRA; it's most of the normal Tesco's that are woefully bad.

Irish supermarkets in general are terrible. You only have to shop in Sainsbury's or Waitrose to see that.

That's a bit of a generalisation and something I wouldn't agree with. Supervalue, Superquinn and Dunnes are all fine in my opinion, whereas in the U.K. Tesco's and Asda are often woeful.

It's really just Tesco's that's badly managed and kept here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

id have to disagree with the comments about tesco in rathmines. Ive shopped there for 6 years and it used to be a lot worse than it is now
    in general i find it fairly decent for a shop of its size . there has been a big improvement i there of late and it would be perfect if their carpark was a little bit bigger and sometimes their recycle bins are over flowing. do you not think tesco in general get a tough time?

i know i have no problems in my local one.

camden street can be good too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

bernyh wrote:

The highly trained customer service advisor, advised me "ye will not be able to buy that bottle of wine, ye will have to leave it there "cos" we can't serve it at the checkout?!?! Ye should have paid it at (the unmanned) offlicence?!?! I replied I think not, I will be paying with my laser card and shall not be making two transactions in this store, I can pay in any other tesco this way and shall pay the same here. She called her "manager" who proceeded to tell me that "you are ridiculous, this is how we do it, so you will have to leave it there" Again I told her "NO" and if you'd like I will leave this €100 something worth of shopping here for you to redistribute to the shelves... she did after much mumbling and cursing agree for me to pay for my bottle of wine and be on my way......
    It may have been illegal for them to sell you the wine from a regular checkout. In the Dunnes I work in the regular grocery checkouts only have a licence to sell Wines (they didn't always have that) and if anyone picked up any beers or spirits they could not pay for them anywhere but the offlicence, though obviously it was bad management for no one to be in the Offlicence.

Them main problem with tesco is the lack of Managers, they got rid of a load a few years ago and now computers do their orders it just doesn't work as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I seen two rats running across the floor in one of the Tescos in my town last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

axer wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Tesco Clare Hall I find.

yeah, its always well stocked

the one in rathmines is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No complaints about the one in Merrion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Oh lord don't get me started on Tesco in my home town. I went in there on a Wednesday afternoon and they were out of all kinds of mushrooms, iceburg lettuce, all peppers and burger buns. I have been served by staff members with shirts wide open, sweat stains, dirty fingernails. On one occasion I asked for help from a staff member on the shop floor, and believe me if that man was sober then I'm Britney Spears. I have never been a Tesco fan, but was it always this bad? My boyfriend was refused a job there years ago because he refused to shave his goatee. Ugh, Lidl ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

3 here in Co. Wexford (Gorey, New Ross, Wexford Town).

All pretty good.

New Ross and Wexford purpose built... big, big shops... do a bit of everything. Gorey is a bit older... haven't been there in a couple of years.

Never any long till queues.

Lots of parking.

Staff seem OK, no issues to report.

Toilets stink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,082 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Truley wrote: »
    Oh lord don't get me started on Tesco in my home town. I went in there on a Wednesday afternoon and they were out of all kinds of mushrooms, iceburg lettuce, all peppers and burger buns. I have been served by staff members with shirts wide open, sweat stains, dirty fingernails. On one occasion I asked for help from a staff member on the shop floor, and believe me if that man was sober then I'm Britney Spears. I have never been a Tesco fan, but was it always this bad? My boyfriend was refused a job there years ago because he refused to shave his goatee. Ugh, Lidl ftw!

So, why is it that you don't like Tesco?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've noticed the Tesco in The Crescent in Limerick has been getting worse and worse for stock over the last number of months. A large section of frozen food has been replaced with frozen fruit :confused: their fresh fruit section is almost always close to empty, use-by dates on cooked meats tend to be quite short, and I've noticed some other stuff gradually disappearing too.

Started using Dunnes on Childers Road more and more, even though it's not close by, and they're by no means perfect either, but seem to be more reliable than that particular Tesco. Maybe the new purpose built Tesco at Coonagh is better, but I've never gone over to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

the one in rathmines is awful

This is my closest one, but I'd rather go to the ones in Nutgrove or Dundrum than use the one in rathmines. It's just not great - but I do think that it has gotten better.

The lwr baggott street one is grim.

The staff look broken and disillusioned, and the self-service machines are glitchy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I went to the one in CLarehall the other day and walked back out again, the price tags are in the wrong places, there was a staff *disagreement* on the floor, i nearly had to point out to them how unprofessional they were being, nearly but didnt!, certain stock not on shelves and i always find their fruit and veg go off within a day or two. and the quite loud english manager sauntering up and down the aisles didnt help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Tesco Ballyfermot -grim. The checkout staff yapping to each other instead of dealing with their customers is just one of many reasons I avoid it, even though it's the closest one to me. And there are never that many tills open at the one time, compounding the queue time. Clondalkin is as bad on that front, but the store is at least much cleaner.

Lucan is grand since they renovated it from the old Crazy Prices layout, but Maynooth's Extra store is where I go for my big shop - worth the drive on occasion. The other one I occasionally am in is Jervis Centre store, and it seems very good.

I've given up buying veg in any of their stores though because it goes off in no time. Either Aldi and Lidl have better quality product, or they pump them full of preservatives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

My Tesco on Baggot street has no soya butter. So if you're lactose intolerant....you're screwed. But the one in Finglas has at least 3 different types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Tesco Navan is a kip,very dirty, Fruit and veg usually past it's best. I don't touch the butcher counter in Tesco.

I find Lidl are going downhill too, very dirty, trollies so filthy I don't like putting the child in the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Yep I could go there but it is a fair walk there and back and laden down with bags of groceries.

I've heard from several different people about that. Thankfully I wasn't shopping there when that was happening. Still it makes you wonder what problems there might be that you don't know about.
    This Tesco's in Prussia St. has been bad for years. I am so sick of it. Now they have this new "Change for Good" joke, I find it even harder to find a lot of products. I agree with the other posters, it is convenient, but I try my best to visit the other local supermarkets like Superquinn at Rathborne (heaven in comparison - so clean!) & Tesco's in Phibsboro. The one is Phibsboro is a bit better, a bit better stocked.

We could badly do with a nice clean Lidl or Aldi in the area. I was hoping that one of them would appear, at the Maple Centre in Cabra. Has anyone heard anything?

IMO, the Tesco's in Prussia St. should be knocked down & rebuilt. I had thought this would happen with the whole redevelopment of the Grangegorman area.

There has also been a problem with the management in that Tescos there for years, they seem to be non-existent.

Some of the staff have been there a long time & are lovely. Though I do feel sorry for them having to work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fellani

Tesco in Celbridge is a disaster....poorly run store, shelves always empty, products not priced and this is only a newish store......!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Poly wrote: »
    Tesco Navan is a kip,very dirty, Fruit and veg usually past it's best. I don't touch the butcher counter in Tesco.

I find Lidl are going downhill too, very dirty, trollies so filthy I don't like putting the child in the seat.
    tell a member of staff about the trolleys being dirty and they will have them cleaned.

tesco in carlow is as bad as ever with stock all over the floor and many items with no prices or price labels miles away on different shelves! ok sometimes this is due to stock being moved around but when it is constantly happening it is due to rubbish staff and management

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Celbridge Tesco - Sh|te. Always seem to be "about to stock the empty shelves" when I'm around.
    Lucan Tesco - Great, and Dominos is right next to it :D (handy for those buy one get one free vouchers that are on the back of their receipts)
    Maynooth Tesco - Great. Stocking constantly, but the shelves are always full.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    tesco in carlow is as bad as ever
    That place used to be great in the old place. Never did like the new place: too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

foggy_lad wrote: »
    tell a member of staff about the trolleys being dirty and they will have them cleaned.

I shouldn't have to tell them that their trolleys are filthy, what worries me is that this is simple front-of-house stuff, what are the back room / storage areas like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Nor - for the first part - I used to be a Tesco manager! (but I left a long time ago)
    I used to live in a certain Kildare town with a busy Tesco, and it was rapidly going downhill;
    No baskets in store, no goods on the dirty shelves, long queues on the few open checkouts, alcohol purchase checkouts closed, unhelpful staff etc etc.
    So, I had tried to make complaints in store, but no manager would ever get to see me.
    So, having the previous company knowledge, I emailed the Director of Operations in Ireland. Of course this email address is not openly published, but a little know how, and know who the person was got the email to the right person.
    So, next morning, the regional manager called to the store, and (in the words of the customer service manager of the store) - kicked him around the store for a couple of hours.
    But.... he came back later that evening - (at the time when I had highlighted all the usual complaints) and found the shop to be still a bombshell, and there was outright murder over it.
    There was instant results.
    It is a shame to see how these shops are now run (and it's generally not the manager's fault, but Tesco policy on staff budgets, stocking policy etc that's to fault.
    If more people were to write in directly to Tesco, instead of complaining on Boards, then maybe the problem would be resolved!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I wrote to Tescos to complain about Celbridge . I went in there one time

No fresh fruit/veg ( at all ) , no bread , no milk etc.

Total joke. The supply chain in Tesco's must be seriously flawed.

Anyway , they basically replied back saying we have forwarded your comments to the store in question , and nothing.

I imagine this isn't the store's fault , but the supply chain / ordering .

The new store in Maynooth opened , huge store basically stocked with the same as a small store but miles of the same product on the shelves . Weird .

Compared to Tesco in the UK , the stores here are frankly terrible , but I suppose they have no competitors , after all Dunnes is a complete joke , and Superquinn and over priced , used to be nice fruit/veg but now rubbish

The German counterparts are good but don't carry the range , and I hate being treated like rubbish at the checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Have 2 pretty close (Navan and Drogheda) have to say they're far better than the alternatives, usually a full stock and always clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The one in Mahon Point gets worse every time I go there. First they got rid the brand of noodles I use, then the brand of passata, then they had no chorizo. They rarely have loose rooster potatoes. The veg is crap most of the time. A couple of times they have had no cream. The store itself is pretty clean and well laid out, but they seem to be getting rid of a lot of products recently which drives me crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Have you tried the one in Douglas janeybabe?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

Maynooth is fantastic..... well stocked, friendly staff, lovely clean store.... only complaint I would have is that is just too big..... spend hours in the place.

Tesco Celbridge is diabolical.... understocked, grotty, dreadful customer services, would only shop there in an emergency. although there is one lovely woman who works there (Anne - I think???) - she always has time for a chat and a smile... but apart from her, the staff just dont give a damn.

Naas like Celbridge is diabolical - grotty, dark and understocked.

Clane (Express store) is shameful - although staff are lovely, but there is more stock in the Maxol next door than they have in there.... brutal!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

cork45 wrote: »
    Have you tried the one in Douglas janeybabe?

I haven't. Is it any good?

Advertisement