Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just How Rubbish Is Your Local Tesco?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

janeybabe wrote: »
    I haven't. Is it any good?

I think it is anyway,I've yet to come across empty shelves like Mahon Point and it's very well laid out over two floors with the clothing and hardware upstairs and the food downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

cork45 wrote: »
    I think it is anyway,I've yet to come across empty shelves like Mahon Point and it's very well laid out over two floors with the clothing and hardware upstairs and the food downstairs.

Must try it. Thanks. Although I went to Mahon Point yesterday and they actually had fresh potatoes and I actually found an onion that wasn't soft!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I'm just home from the one in Rathmines and there must have been 15 staff all working together aisle by aisle tidying the shelves and cleaning them as they went. It looked really well and they all seemed to be having a laugh while they went, although the aisles were a bit conjested with the ammount of staff in them. haven't seen them do that before, they must have been expecting a boss or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jarvis wrote: »
    I'm just home from the one in Rathmines and there must have been 15 staff all working together aisle by aisle tidying the shelves and cleaning them as they went. It looked really well and they all seemed to be having a laugh while they went, although the aisles were a bit conjested with the ammount of staff in them. haven't seen them do that before, they must have been expecting a boss or something.
    they must have been reading this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

Tesco Express in Clane is reasonably well stocked for the basics,although for a big shop Tesco in Maynooth is the way to go.
    My only issue is,every time I go in for 1 or 2 items theres always a que,then the bell gets rung and somebody appears but sometimes you can feel the tension building in the que,or maybe thats just me!!.Then at the till, a third staff member might have appeared and negotiations are in place about who is going for smoke(which takes place at the front door!).Bit annoying but what can one do!.It was alot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

One poster was complaining about no iceberg lettuce, or burger buns.

That was on a one of the few hot sunny days.

He obviously thinks he is the only one who decided to have a BBQ that day :rolleyes:

You snooze you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

No Water - WTF?

4588483553_4e78a1ac8a_m.jpg

Virtually No Eggs

4589103072_36a149c9d6_m.jpg

And just to repeat, where it was a 20 min walk to the next nearest supermarket we moved so it's now 40 minutes away. After seeing no water on the shelves I'm determined to write a letter to their head office.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I seen two rats running across the floor in one of the Tescos in my town last week.

Ugh,which one?!?! I don't have too many complaints about the Tesco in Dundalk except for the horrible staff in the one in the Old Shopping Centre on Hill Street. I find most of them to be slow,rude& hugely unhelpful. They also tend to run out of the cheaper bottles of water quite often but usually their shelves are well stocked except maybe at the end of the day which is to be expected anywhere I would presume.

But this rat thing has me worried now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

jarvis wrote: »

No that's 'rumble', every day between 3 and 5 pm, all available staff work form one end of the shop to the other end clearing and tidying, to get ready for evening trade and filling up again after 9pm.

I thought every supermarket did this, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

No Water - WTF?

4588483553_4e78a1ac8a_m.jpg
    The pages you see stuck to the shelf are planograms which are basicly a diagram of what products they have and where they go. I used to work in tesco while i was in college. You obviously went in while they were in the middle of moving the stock. While its a pain in the hole for customers it has to be done now and again.
    The eggs and bread are often stocked directly by the suppliers in the morning so are often all gone by the evening. Again its a pain but they can only put up what fits on the shelf each the morning.

anyway there the reasons just so you know, the staff dont purposely hide the the bread on ya.:pac: The managment in most of the tescos i know dont give a bollox so these thing are never addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Moving things is a common advertising technique to break the usual routine one would do. You pass new products and they hope you buy them.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

gobo99 wrote: »
    The pages you see stuck to the shelf are planograms which are basicly a diagram of what products they have and where they go. I used to work in tesco while i was in college. You obviously went in while they were in the middle of moving the stock. While its a pain in the hole for customers it has to be done now and again.

It seems to happen a lot in Mahon Point. So much so that you have to wonder about the sense of doing this during the working day.

My Mahon Point experiences would suggest that the planograms are there so that the staff know where the products won't be - it would be awful if the empty shelves for product X were mixed up with the empty shelves for product Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree, new plannagrams should be done during the night. Again I thought all stores did do them in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Tesco in Ballymun Shopping Centre is dreadful. I thought the opening of a Super Valu and Dunnes would make them buck up their ideas because of the competition but no. They never have items advertised on special offer and goods are regularly gone beyond their sell by date. And then they charge you 20 euro to take a trolley to the car park. It is refundable but I rarely have 20 euro left after getting my shopping.

gobo99 wrote: »
    ...You obviously went in while they were in the middle of moving the stock..

The problem is that this always happens. These pictures weren't just taken on one day. It's pretty much the case that you can walk in on any given day and something or many things will be missing from the shelves.

Currently for the last 3 days, that's right the last 3 days the fridge where they keep their cold desserts is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

The problem is that this always happens. These pictures weren't just taken on one day. It's pretty much the case that you can walk in on any given day and something or many things will be missing from the shelves.

Currently for the last 3 days, that's right the last 3 days the fridge where they keep their cold desserts is empty.

thats sounds bad alright. :confused: The only reason i could think of is that the fridge may have gone down. It can take a few days to get the 'ok' to dump the stock and for the system to generate new orders.
    If this is happening all the time you should go somewhere else. Theres 3 tescos near me but theres only one that id shop in and its the one thats furthest away cause the other two are ****e.

Heh I'd love to go somewhere else but for the moment it's simply not practical. The next nearest supermarket is a 40 min walk there and the same back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are four Tescos in Waterford, three in the city and one in Tramore. One I never go in so I don't know what its like, but of the other three, the main one is fine, well stocked and well managed, the tramore one is lovely with very nice staff, and the other one is small and in entirely the wrong place for easy access and exit, but its ok too.

I have complained about various things over a long number of years, but I usually do my shopping there so there are bound to be a few glitches.

The main thing that annoys me is putting damaged stock on a cheap shelf - though come to think of it I haven't seen one recently, only the stuff thats just about on its sell-by date. I have taken tins that were very badly damaged off the shelf and given them to a manager, and said that they will kill someone if they sell totally crumpled tins. Maybe it has finally got through to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I thought it was just me who thought Tesco had gotten rubbish. Their stores seem to start off grand when they open and then go steadily downhill. Case in point, Mitchelstown and Mahon Point. Douglas is lovely at the moment as it is a brand new store, but for how long? I have regularly gone in and found them completely out of certain items. The one in Mahon point is regularly out of ready made sandwiches and lunch items by 11.30-12.00. Their meat is also atrocious quality, I have bought meat several times (in date according to the packet) but gone off when I opened it. I recently was in looking for a certain kind of sauvignon blanc only to be asked by the guy working in the off licence, "is that a red wine" :rolleyes:.

I stopped doing my trolly shop there as the quality is too bad. The only reason I go in is to get one of the meal deals (of which they are invaribley out of one complete part, ie last time they had no meal deal desserts left). Also their premium ready meals are pretty good, but that's all i'll buy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I've had dreadful experiences in Tesco Clearwater (and I'd rang up complaining but to no avail) - and anyway on one particular day it was so bad I was fuming. Unfortunately for Tesco on their receipt they had a "tell us your views by logging on to a website" and I did just that. There was a section to fill in any other details - which I used for everything that is wrong with the store. And at the end I put in I don't know why I'm filling this out because I wont get any feed back from you. Two days later a Scottish guy from Tesco in the UK rang me back asking for more information. He also said that none of my previous complaints had ever been logged....I'd suggest go to the website, fill in their survey leave your mobile number and somebody will (hopefully) get back to you....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tesco2010

Redpunto wrote: »
    I went to the one in CLarehall the other day and walked back out again, the price tags are in the wrong places, there was a staff *disagreement* on the floor, i nearly had to point out to them how unprofessional they were being, nearly but didnt!, certain stock not on shelves and i always find their fruit and veg go off within a day or two. and the quite loud english manager sauntering up and down the aisles didnt help.
    was shopping at tesco galway one night and the manager was having a huge confrontation with a member of staff shouting at him ect felt so sorry for the staff it was nothing short of abuse

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Last night in Tesco, they had a lot of toys on a half price special. Some of these were drawing sets, and marked on the shelf they were reduced from €30 to €15, which sounds like a good deal. Until you notice the price sticker on the items, which said originally £15 reduced to £7.50. A lot of the sterling stickers had been removed but they had obviously missed some. The original euro prices seem to be a case of 'paper never refused ink'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, but how did those prices compare to others in this market?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Re experiences in Tesco, I shop in the Carlow branch, and find stock levels very low, even at weekends. Also the staff would knock you down they are so concentrated on where they are going, and as for speaking to the customers, forget it. I worked for a while in retail and was told the customer pays your wages so it's up to you to make sure they leave happy and come back again. The vast majority of the staff on the check-outs are great, friendly and helpful, but the floor staff and management are the pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Went to that website a few weeks ago, never heard anything.
    Maybe I didn't leave my mobile number, probably left my email though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I seen two rats running across the floor in one of the Tescos in my town last week.

Which town would that be then? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

the 50% off toys is a joke and just a ploy to get u in the door .....the advertising obviously pays off:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Since Tesco pulled that obviously bullshít we'll be the same price as the North if we could only get our Irish suppliers to be cheaper, I haven't shopped there. Unless I have no choice but I can count that on one hand. I spend a fair bit of time in the North and they are considerably cheaper up there so basically they are ripping us off as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement