Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions

Options
  • 10-02-2010 4:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

1 Is Guinness Extra Cold still sold any more?

2 According to Wikipedia, there appears to be quite a few different type's of Guinness, were you you be able to purchase them? Say if you wanted to try Guinness Extra Smooth, (which is made in Nigeria), would that be available in Ireland?

3 Finally, is Stag still sold anymore?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

1 Is Guinness Extra Cold still sold any more?
    Yes, but only in the UK, AFAIK.
    2 According to Wikipedia, there appears to be quite a few different type's of Guinness, were you you be able to purchase them? Say if you wanted to try Guinness Extra Smooth, (which is made in Nigeria), would that be available in Ireland?
    No -- Diageo control the distribution and choose not to sell it here. Occasionally you get beers that are independently imported, like Guinness Special Export which is made in Dublin for a Belgian company but can be bought here re-imported. I think the Nigerian version of Foreign Extra Stout can be bought in African food stores here -- it certainly can be in the UK.
    3 Finally, is Stag still sold anymore?
    I think so. You need to scrutinise the shelves behind the bar in hick pubs.
    Edit: Stag is still listed in C&C's cider portfolio, though doesn't seem to merit a website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yes, but only in the UK, AFAIK.

No -- Diageo control the distribution and choose not to sell it here. Occasionally you get beers that are independently imported, like Guinness Special Export which is made in Dublin for a Belgian company but can be bought here re-imported. I think the Nigerian version of Foreign Extra Stout can be bought in African food stores here -- it certainly can be in the UK.

I think so. You need to scrutinise the shelves behind the bar in hick pubs.
    Edit: Stag is still listed in C&C's cider portfolio, though doesn't seem to merit a website.
    Thanks again BeerNut!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Stag is still out, saw people drinking it at christmas.

I have only ever seen non-alcoholic guinness drinks in African stores, some sort of malt drink, i.e. it is not trying to taste like the normal stuff, I expect most would not have a licence.

rubadub wrote: »
    some sort of malt drink
    Guinness Malta. I've not tried it but generally I've found other brands of malta to be very nice.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I expect most would not have a licence.
    There's that, true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wine_Guy

Guinness Foreign Extra is sold in O'Briens for approx 2.50 per 33cl bottle.
    It is more like the stout than the draught with its gas, and although you can taste the stout it has an added sweetness to it, also its a whopping 7.5% ABV.
    Personally i'll stick to my draught but its definately worth even picking up one bottle to try it.
    Also stag is available, i think bottles have stopped but i have definately seen the cans again in o'briens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Stag bottles are still available in selected off licences/pubs. You may have to search a bit. Its a poor enough seller so most places dont bother stocking it. The product always screams '1980s' to me!

Wine_Guy wrote: »
    Guinness Foreign Extra is sold in O'Briens for approx 2.50 per 33cl bottle.
    That's dear. Tesco had it down to €2.13 after the VAT cut, and it's only €2 in the Storehouse shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's dear. Tesco had it down to €2.13 after the VAT cut, and it's only €2 in the Storehouse shop.
    how true. 2.50 is a scandalous price, even before the vat decrease. My local independent has it at E2.30. Thing is though, offies can set it at as high a price as they like, African customers will buy it regardless of how expensive it is.

Advertisement