Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone thinkin of headin to Oz or NZ

Options
  • 10-02-2010 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Thinkin of headin out soon in the next couple of months one or two of the lads are sayin they might head out but not so sure if they will. Anyone know of any sites where others are headin out solo and can chat or arrange to head out together? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Dannyboi3k wrote: »
    Thinkin of headin out soon in the next couple of months one or two of the lads are sayin they might head out but not so sure if they will. Anyone know of any sites where others are headin out solo and can chat or arrange to head out together? :D

I think I heard once that Boards.ie had a Australia New Zealand section im not too sure though...;)

Seriously though you really don’t need to organize to travel with any Irish people once you land here and walk into a hostel its as simple as listing for the accent (There will be loads) and just say “Hi you sound like your Irish I just arrived and I’m traveling on my own I don’t know anyone yet do you fancy a pint?”

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Cool.. sounds fairly handy :)
    Thinkin of heading out on a usit WHV i know there is prob tonnes of threads on this so will search as much as I can and is everyone really as friendly and easy going as people say?
    Not really sure what part of Oz.. I have a cousin in Sydney at the moment so maybe head there but any tips info appreciated :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

im deffo thinking of Emigrating to NewZealand love the place this country now
    as it is cant see it improving until we find new leadership

Yeah im just not sure whether its gonna be Oz or NZ..
    Pat when are you thinkin of goin?
    Are you goin solo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

id say after the summer here im in the bar trade so looking into a bar licence ect just doing some research at the min what about yourself?

• Advertisement

Don’t go through USIT as they will charge you money for stuff you can easily do faster and cheaper yourself.

To get the visa just apply through the government website there are links to it in the sticky posts on here. A bank account and phone sim are easy to organize once you arrive and again there are numerous threads on here saying just how easy it all is so have a read through some of them.

Looking through the treads here should also help deciding where to live. Personally I love it here in Melbourne great bars and restraints and although the weather her isn’t constantly hot like it is in some other areas I actually like the fact you get seasons here.

Anyway good luck for your trip I’m sure you will have a blast wherever you end up.

@ Patwicklow .. I have bar work experience but also some in the construction industry labouring for plasterers and a small bit of plastering myself so i am willing to pick up anything i can when i get out there..

@ Doc .. Yeah heard Melbourne is the place to be alright.. What would you reckon money wise thought, how much would i need to tie me over for a while.. do you really need to have 5k AUD in your bank account or do they not always check this.. Im not sure how much I can save up but Im in the process of selling the car and all that so hopefully see how it pans out

@ Doc .. Yeah heard Melbourne is the place to be alright.. What would you reckon money wise thought, how much would i need to tie me over for a while.. do you really need to have 5k AUD in your bank account or do they not always check this.. Im not sure how much I can save up but Im in the process of selling the car and all that so hopefully see how it pans out

In my rough estimations of costs I would say:

Hostel: about $25 a night

Food: about $10-15 a day

Transport: about $5.50

So about $280 - $320 a week which is about E175 - E195

Then add on for drinking, tours and whatever else you want to do.

You really should have as much in the bank as possible coming over as getting a job here isn’t as easy as some people make out. Yea there are jobs but you have to work hard at finding them and it can take a while.

I wasn’t asked about the $5000 when I came over first (good job too as I had spent more then I thought in SE Asia on the way and didn’t have the $5000) but they can ask you to prove that you will be able to support yourself over here. It is unlikely that they will unless you look dodgy but they could. I just handed the guy my passport and he looked at it then waved me through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Danny I'm going to Sydney at the start of March (working holiday), if you end up going there then we can meet up for a pint !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Cool.. sounds fairly handy :)
    Thinkin of heading out on a usit WHV i know there is prob tonnes of threads on this so will search as much as I can and is everyone really as friendly and easy going as people say?
    Not really sure what part of Oz.. I have a cousin in Sydney at the moment so maybe head there but any tips info appreciated :)

Thanks
    Im heading to Perth in May.I have a good few contacts over there.Lads that went over in the last few months all have work.They all have accomdiation sorted.We'd be more than happy to put you up.PM me if you want any more details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

I'm thinking of goin to perth on my tod myself. Is there much work there?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm thinking of goin to perth on my tod myself. Is there much work there?

Plenty, but you will be a bit restricted if you're on a visa.

Loads of casual work in the likes of retail though if you'd do that sort of thing.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Plenty, but you will be a bit restricted if you're on a visa.

Loads of casual work in the likes of retail though if you'd do that sort of thing.
    Whats it like when your on the WHV?Im looking for work in construction.general labouring and that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Think about going over. Not 100% sure yet.

mood wrote: »
    Think about going over. Not 100% sure yet.
    the only advise i can give you is do it..I've talked about it for a long time and then just went and booked it.I dont regret it for a second.

Did you find it easy to get a job? Where did you go to?

Cheers for the replies lads, and John Thomas thats a sound offer I'll def PM you on that for more info, thanks :)

And Dave sounds good I'll figure out where I'm gonna head and that and will def keep in contact..

Thing is I wont be doing any travelling before Oz I will just be going straight there with whatever cash I can get my paws on between now and then..
    Roughly, how much altogether is the WHV and how long can I expect before I have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Lads if you go as far as Oz DEF take the shortish flight across to NZ, its such a lovely country and it would be a shame to go all the way there and not see it. Stray tour buses are great craic and def recommend them, not the straight out of school kinda crowd, our bus was full of ppl in their mid-late 20s, really great crowd. :D

Have a great time, so jealous I'd go back over that way in the morning if I could. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Roughly, how much altogether is the WHV and how long can I expect before I have it?

Apply online straight to the Gov for this cheaper than through an agency, had mine in 24hrs online! Cant rememver the cost now but if you look on http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/ you find all the info.

:)

I would love to take the trip to NZ aswel but I'd say I will be fairly limited cash wise to what I can do.. sounds like a blast tho..

Cheers for the visa info :)

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies lads, and John Thomas thats a sound offer I'll def PM you on that for more info, thanks :)

And Dave sounds good I'll figure out where I'm gonna head and that and will def keep in contact..

Thing is I wont be doing any travelling before Oz I will just be going straight there with whatever cash I can get my paws on between now and then..

I'm in the same boat -- I'll be looking for work after maybe 2 weeks of getting acclimated. I'll hopefully have about $5,000 AUD when I leave, so I should be okay.

I think the visa cost about €120.

I got an email confirmation with my visa number, etc., about 5 minutes after applying ! It seems to be just done automatically now, rather than someone phoning like they used to do. You don't get anything posted to you either -- it's just registered on their computers and they check when you get there. But print off the email nevertheless.

Thats not bad :)

Do you need a passport to apply for the visa?
    I havent got one at the minute as i lost it during the summer so prob better off waiting til i get it back then yeah?

if so ill apply within the next two weeks .. hopefully ill have around 4/5k in aussie dollars too everything goin well..

in a bout of depression in this place need to get away for at least a year ha :D

Yeah you need to give your passport number, so it'll be important that you have one ;)

Ill sort that out next week then :) anyone any ideas how much a passport costs these days havent got one in years ha

About 80 quid I think. Check with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

thinking of going but probably not for 8 months or so...just seen that people say there seems to be work in perth and all...is it mainly labour etc and for guys?

just wondering does any one know how work is for women? im in IT and have bar/restaraunt experience etc....

Just be aware guys that Perth is a hell of a long way from anywhere else. Very nice beaches and I liked it even though I didn’t think there was much to do in the city when I was there over Christmas but it’s really isolated from the rest of Australia. It would have been cheaper for me to fly to Bali then to Melbourne from Perth.

(And they don’t even have daylight savings in WA I mean what’s that all about?)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And what's wrong with being close to Bali?! Just booked a week there for June. Works out at about $950 PP for flights and top notch accomodation, and it's a bit different to just another city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

thinking of going but probably not for 8 months or so...just seen that people say there seems to be work in perth and all...is it mainly labour etc and for guys?

just wondering does any one know how work is for women? im in IT and have bar/restaraunt experience etc....

define IT? what qualifications do you have and what area?

• Advertisement
Advertisement