Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media watch Thread

• 10-02-2010 8:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭

I had an Idea for a thread, but I may need a bit of assistance from someone a bit more techsavvy than meself

Seeing as we have a reasonable geographic spread of posters, I propose that we Record the nightly news broadcasts from a few different regions and then contrast the stories and the styles of 'Journalism' presented so that we get a broader picture of what the Broader community are being presented with as FACT around the world.

We can discuss the Similarities or differences in the presentation styles and more importantly any omissions that we may spot from one area to another

Now I'm not suggestin that we record every news broadcast everynight, but it would be nice if we could get a few from different regions on the same day, especially if there is a story of global significance.

So whadda ye think????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

There can be quite difference mahatma.

Just check a story on CNN and then look at the same story on al jeezera(spelling?)you'd swear it was 2 different events!!(ok both stations could be used as examples for main stream media but you get my drift)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Tbh I have neither the know how nor will to participate in this but it is a good idea. Why not compare and contrast news articles from websites. It is essentially the same thing but using a different, more accessable, news medium. That way everyone can participate.

I'm not sure how exactly the "conspiracy" comes into it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I think its a cool idea, but my feeling is that it is not entirely suited to a forum-based approach.

Its almost like an entire project, which would need its own web-server.

After all, to do it properly, you'd need the capability to preserve the news...video, web-based, and scans from traditional paper-based media.

I also feel you'd need a hell of a lot of dedicated people to do it for the daily news...

That said...I'm not suggesting we close this thread yet...its an interesting idea that's certainly worth kicking around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That sound slike a good idea. Have you any thoughts on how a thread should be laid out?

With regards to what Bonkey says, would it not be an idea to focus on one story and investigate the different angles of it? Say for example, Iran is meant to do something tomorrow, so it could be a good starting point to see if the idea could oan out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Thanks lads, Yeah the Iran thing was what made me think of it.

I think we need the full broadcasts tho instead of just articles, articles give us one aspect of it but the how its framed overall is the bit that interests me.

Bonkey I take your point onboard, this could great, but it WILL be a behemoth of a project and I appreciate your reticence, FWIW my IT guy informs me that it could be hosted discreetley on my Server, Im hopin at the moment that other members of the community can fill in the blanks as to how this will work, I'm just lobbin it out a a concept.

and W00t nue lappy so I'' be catchin up on vidjeos fer a bit;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Excellent concept, there's libraries full of discussion on the subject.

News has never been FACT though as you put it, there has been bias in the media since the invention of the printing press.

Omissions and differences between different stories need not necessilary be for nefarious reasons. Simple reasons can include things like the inability of journalists to report all available stories and necessity that facts be linked into a coherent narrative, ie it needs to have a relavance to it's reader. Stories may have a historical resonance in different areas, thus the reportage will be different.

It's human nature as opposed to a purposful agenda, people will always differ their assesment of a situation for a variety of reasons.

http://lass.calumet.purdue.edu/cca/gmj/fa03/gmj-fa03-nelson.htm See here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Think it is a great idea Mahatma. This site might help it tracks news stories from all over the world and updates constantly here are a few links…

Ireland
    http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/World+News/Europe/Western/Republic+of+Ireland

Conspiracy
    http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Current+Affairs/Conspiracy

World News:
    http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/World+News
    (can choose which continent you would like to view news from)

Hot Topics
    http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Just set up an anonymous ftp account that anyone can login to.You can use a program called camstudio that you can literally drag a rectangle around anything on your screen and then press record which then records to an avi file.
    Very easy for anyone.

http://camstudio.org

The tech part is simple,it's the enthusiasm that will be the make or break in this idea of yours.
    Usually people are too lazy.

Thanks for that, Now all I have to do is figurte out how to put the news on the Computer :confused:

I Take your point about lazyness on board, but I what I was hopin was that a few of us could contribute weekly, I have a lot of freetime on Sunday Fafternoons ( the long Dark Teatime of the Soul) So this could be a good way of keepin myself occupied for a few hours, I have found that it takes about 6 Weeks to form a Habit, so if it takes off, after a while it will have its own momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Are any of the aussie channels online like rte in ireland are??
    You could if you wanted to spend a few dollars get a tv card and then plug in your coaxial cable into the back of your computer or laptop.

Your spot on about the 6 weeks btw :D

• Advertisement

Well aparently there are a few stations here that Broadcast in iView

So I'll have a look inta it tomorrow mornin, Hopefully I should have somethin up and runnin by next weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Why should we depend on "the media" when we have a medium already, call "the mind"

I know, but still, the illuminati don't really want you to know how powerful "The mind is"

But "on" this forum I thought I would bring this point forward. We have our own medium too.

ah Mysterious, this is about Examinin the Media with our Minds, I think it would be very interestin to See how the same Event is portrayed to different populations.

Also, is it possible to get a TV Card for my Laptop or will I have to build a new Desktop PC for this? Ideally I' like to be abble to record the news broadcast Ads and all ( I believe the Ads are an essential part of the whole concept) But I've looked into this iView thing so at least I can get a few articles, then all we ave to do is find the same item on a different countries news broadcast to compare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Also, is it possible to get a TV Card for my Laptop or will I have to build a new Desktop PC for this? Ideally I' like to be abble to record the news broadcast Ads and all ( I believe the Ads are an essential part of the whole concept) But I've looked into this iView thing so at least I can get a few articles, then all we ave to do is find the same item on a different countries news broadcast to compare

You can get external USB tv cards. Not sure about the price or how well they work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

ah Mysterious, this is about Examinin the Media with our Minds, I think it would be very interestin to See how the same Event is portrayed to different populations.

Yea as humanji said you can get a usb card, work just as well and similar to desktop cards, again what you pay for is what you get regarding quality, and your processor type/speed and ram will affect it's capabilities and performance.

Advertisement