Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the decade-forwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,823 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

owen
    +3 Michael Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Heskey
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Rooney or Henry
    rooney and henry are going in to poll. its a 4-4-2 formation. Boggles take note ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

owen
    have we a second on Torres. Think he is the quickest over seas player ever to reach fifty goals.

to be honest that's irrelevant when looking at a "premier league player of the decade" if we were voting on most talented striker of the decade, then he'd be a good shout for it.

For this team, I think he's out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

owen
    Said in another thread that Henry should be a shoe-in here. No real way of leaving him out although he may suffer some bias from the handball incident.

My other choice will probably go to Van Nistelrooy.

owen
    Iago wrote: »
    to be honest that's irrelevant when looking at a "premier league player of the decade" if we were voting on most talented striker of the decade, then he'd be a good shout for it.

For this team, I think he's out of place.

I think he's well worth a nomination though I probably won't be voting for him. He's definitely up there though

Heskey
    Morzadec wrote: »
    I think he's well worth a nomination though I probably won't be voting for him. He's definitely up there though
    done. that's torres in.

owen
    Morzadec wrote: »

Without trying to be smart here, on what basis?

He played a total of 57 games in the decade in question, that's not even 2 full seasons out of 10.

Granted his goal per game ratio for that period was exceptional but it's just not enough to justify inclusion in a team of the decade poll.

If he is included it just makes a mockery of the whole thing to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well no point bucking the trend at this stage.

• Advertisement

Heskey

He played a total of 57 games in the decade in question, that's not even 2 full seasons out of 10.

Granted his goal per game ratio for that period was exceptional but it's just not enough to justify inclusion in a team of the decade poll.

I see what your saying but injury kind of hampered his involvement last year. Okay to make this fair three nominations per player. Two so far for Torres. And so there is no repeat of yesterday will put up a final list later on in afternoon that posters and mod can put their names to before posting poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

owen
    Torres really should not be in it SOTS.

don't do it.

Owen, yes, is worth a nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

owen
    This is going to be another irrelevant poll. Torres and Arshavin? :eek:

Roy Keane in the CM thread??? LOL, the poll should be called Boardsies favourite players in the EPL from 1995-2004 and 2007-2010.

owen

Yeah fair point. I guess it comes down to how much we are accounting for time spent playing in the decade. For my votes I've been looking at it fairly literally and voting for the best in that decade, based on the criteria of ability and achievement.

I voted for Ronaldo and Viera and felt that the 'time argument' wasn't overly relevant for them. That said I do think there is some weight to the argument as it weighs heavily on the 'achievement' aspect of the vote. For Ronaldo and Viera they achieved more than enough in their years at their clubs (combined with their ability) to warrant my vote. For Torres the time argument has impacted more on his achievement as you pointed out, and he wouldn't get my vote but I still think he is worthy of a nomination.

Torres has played even less than these 2 I know. But I feel he is deserving of a nomination for 2 reasons.

1. I feel it's always better to have too many players on the poll than too little to stop people going 'Where's .........?'. (So I feel that players such as Hasselbaink, Keane and other outsiders are also worth a nomination.)

2. I feel that there is a decent argument that, of all the strikers of the decade's respective peaks, Torres is in the top 2. (Not saying he definitely is, just saying that he arguably is). So if we were to take the question 'Best 2 strikers of the decade' very literally, there would be a strong case for including him, let alone nominating him.

Hope this makes sense and isn't too repetitious, I'm in work and have had to serve about 20 customers in between writing this out!

Heskey
    slic ric Rule is any players gets three nomination he gets three. But if enough people put their name at bottom of this post ill take it as a sign not to put him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I was going to re start this series of threads today(i've been sick lately) but seeing as SOTS is making a stones of it all on his own, i'll leave him to it.

Re Torres, no.

• Advertisement

Heskey
    super-rush wrote: »
    I was going to re start this series of threads today(i've been sick lately) but seeing as SOTS is making a stones of it all on his own, i'll leave him to it.

Re Torres, no.
    to confirm arshavin not going in. Im reluctantly leaving torres out because some folks cant let go of yesterday. Its not relevant to today and im not wasting any more energy talking about other thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

owen
    Im reluctantly leaving torres out because some folks cant let go of yesterday.

it's nothing to do with that.

he hasn't played enough to warrant a nomination for the entire decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Henry would be the first name on the team sheet for me. Superb for Arsenal through a large chunk of this decade. 174 goals in 254 prem league games and probably Arsenal's best ever striker.

After that it's Begkamp, Van Nistelrooy or Shearer.

Just for comparison, Van Nist scored 95 goals in 150 prem lge games (and also had a fantastic record in the champs lge it must be said, 38 goals in 47 games)

Shearer bagged 283 goals in 559 prem lge games overall, for Southampton, Blackburn and Newcastle. Bearing in mind that none of those teams achieved any great success with the exception of Blackburn '95, it's a hell of a record too.

Bergkamp scored 87 goals in 316 league games for Arsenal, though as we know Bergkamp's game was about much more than just goals.

I'd go with Henry and Shearer.

Hard to leave out the brilliant Begkamp though, while Van Nist is more than worthy of inclusion too as his goalscoring record shows.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Henry
    All those goals per game stats should be adjusted to the decade though.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Henry
    Berbatov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

motivatorc9a4dbe278d1111fa1e91b4552.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

owen
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    motivatorb317f37add2a4ae2ac0a3df4beb4155c76851f73.jpg

this is the nomination thread Xavi, Poll thread comes later.:rolleyes::p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Heskey
    yeah included Arshavin as he was included on this. In or out?
    http://arsenal.theoffside.com/team-news/arsenals-all-decade-team-strikers.html

but viera was left out of the midfield...................................

how dies your brain come to these decisions?

C.Ronaldo should be on the list too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

God these Team poll threads are always a pile of wank.

owen
    All those goals per game stats should be adjusted to the decade though.

If you're talking about mine, they already are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Heskey
    Jazzy wrote: »

talk about a 'Freudian slip'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

owen
    to confirm arshavin not going in. Im reluctantly leaving torres out because some folks cant let go of yesterday. Its not relevant to today and im not wasting any more energy talking about other thread

I'd have Torres in the nominations, solely because of his games to goals ratio, which is phenomenal.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

owen

Yeah, that would suit this fecking poll. 2 Ronaldos in the team of the Decade.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Heskey
    K-9 wrote: »

oh right, hes in the other one. didnt seem to be a midfielder from what i saw of him. is leo messi a midfielder too? gotta admit, 2 ronaldos would make it some team :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

owen
    Henry has to be the best striker in the EPL over the past decade - top scorer in 4 different seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Technically, i think if one more person nominates him, he'll have to be included in the poll.:pac:

Heskey
    Heres the list so. We ready to run with this folks
    Shearer 168 apps 84 goals 42 assists
    Henry 223 apps 157 goals 132 assists, one hand-pass
    Hasselb 219 apps 93 goals 71 assists
    Owen 209 apps 94 goals 30 assists
    Keane 296 apps 109 goals 66 assists
    Anelka 234 apps 77 goals 71 assists
    Rooney 248 apps 101 goals 89 assists
    RVN
    Hasselbank

owen
    oh right, hes in the other one. didnt seem to be a midfielder from what i saw of him. is leo messi a midfielder too? gotta admit, 2 ronaldos would make it some team :pac:

True, some even argued Gerrard wasn't a midfielder for the decade.

The way this poll is going, he would be picked twice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

owen
    Heres the list so. We ready to run with this folks
    Shearer 168 apps 84 goals 42 assists
    Henry 223 apps 157 goals 132 assists
    Hasselb 219 apps 93 goals 71 assists
    Owen 209 apps 94 goals 30 assists
    Keane 296 apps 109 goals 66 assists
    Anelka 234 apps 77 goals 71 assists
    Rooney 248 apps 101 goals 89 assists
    RVN
    Hasselbank
    Owen

Great work Spiritoftheseventies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

:D:D:D

I think I'm guilty of starting both. It worked out well though.:pac:

Heskey

thats what happens when you get a n00b to make polls :)

Heskey
    thats what happens when you get a n00b to make polls :)
    yesterdays news jazzman. Poll goes up at six.

Henry
    thorbarry wrote: »
    Great work Spiritoftheseventies
    Yea - he has Owen in twice.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

owen
    Van Nistelrooy - 219 apps, 150 goals.

Henry and the Horse.

• Advertisement

Heskey
    yesterdays news jazzman. Poll goes up at six.

am i wrong or something? i hear there is a bench too :) is that the 'just in case' if a liverpool player doesnt get on the team? did Andy Grays team have a bench? so many questions young bayviewclose......

Heskey
    Yea - he has Owen in twice.
    corrected. Keep this up and ill go through every future post of yours with a fine toothcomb for above two. It wont be pretty. ;)

Heskey
    corrected. Keep this up and ill go through every future post of yours with a fine toothcomb for above two. It wont be pretty. ;)

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

playing rough. whatever you do though, dont create a poll on shivreneskimos posts, i dont think they are your niche :)

Heskey
    oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

playing rough. whatever you do though, dont create a poll on shivreneskimos posts, i dont think they are your niche :)
    Will leave the bench to you jazzman. Dont mess it up :D

owen
    Van Nistelrooy - 219 apps, 150 goals.

Henry and the Horse.

Think I'm veering towards them two as well, with Rooney just loosing out.

Heskey
    Okay folks poll is up. Went with drogs and Bergkamp myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

owen
    Rooney, so good he can play twice

Anyway, I went for Henry and RVN, RVN i can accept debate, but I cannot understand why anyone would not pick Henry, unless they're being stupid about the handball

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Henry
    Rooney x 2. Jesus bayviewclose you suck at polls.

Heskey
    Rooney x 2. Jesus bayviewclose you suck at polls.
    would have been worse if I left him out altogether. Guys have me so paranoid at this stage. Yes Eskimo the gloves are off now. I'll be coming after you for this. When and where i can't say :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

No DiCanio and Robbie Keane and Heskey. Crap poll. Shove your poll up your hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Drogba
    Voted for the Rooney brothers.:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement