Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milano Valentine's offer

Options
  • 10-02-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of the Milano "2 for 1" offers, which I've taken up a few times. I'm on the UK *and* Irish mailing list, for some reason, so this morning's "Valentines" offer is interesting.

The Irish email says this:
    "Enjoy Valentine's even at short notice with 3 delicious courses for €20, between the 12th - 14th February. And why not share a bottle of Prosecco for only €25.".

However, the UK one says this:
    "Enjoy Valentine's even at short notice with 3 delicious courses for £15, between the 12th - 14th February. And why not share a bottle of Prosecco for only £12.".

Whatever about the 33% food differential when the exchange rate indicates the Irish equivalent should only be €17.05, government duties alone can in no way account for the 108% difference in the price of the Prosecco...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

p15574 wrote: »
    Whatever about the 33% food differential when the exchange rate indicates the Irish equivalent should only be €17.05, government duties alone can in no way account for the 108% difference in the price of the Prosecco...

I assume you have choosen to ignore the differences in cost of rates, staffing, heat, light, insurance ........

Doing business in ireland is much more expensive than the UK, therefore the irish arm have to charge more. Or would you expect them to raise the UK prices to match the irish prices?

On another note, how is this a Rip-Off? They have made an offer, you can choose if you wish to avail or not.

I am so glad I don't have to deal with retail customer in my line of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

whippet wrote: »
    On another note, how is this a Rip-Off? They have made an offer, you can choose if you wish to avail or not.

So it's only a Rip-Off if you choose to pay it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

I assume you have choosen to ignore the differences in cost of rates, staffing, heat, light, insurance ........

Doing business in ireland is much more expensive than the UK, therefore the irish arm have to charge more. Or would you expect them to raise the UK prices to match the irish prices?
    That old chestnut. Yeah, sure, valid to some extent, but always the line they use. How come this only makes the food 33% more expensive, but the wine 108%? Is the electricity charged differently when serving wine?
    As has been said, what is it then? Do we have to wait until someone has actually been ripped off by paying for it before we can warn people about it? Surely the purpose of this forum is to alert people before they're ripped off?

I'm not saying the Milano thing is a big deal, just pointing it out. Calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I'm a big fan of the Milano "2 for 1" offers, which I've taken up a few times. I'm on the UK *and* Irish mailing list, for some reason, so this morning's "Valentines" offer is interesting.

The Irish email says this:
    "Enjoy Valentine's even at short notice with 3 delicious courses for €20, between the 12th - 14th February. And why not share a bottle of Prosecco for only €25.".

However, the UK one says this:
    "Enjoy Valentine's even at short notice with 3 delicious courses for £15, between the 12th - 14th February. And why not share a bottle of Prosecco for only £12.".

Difference # 1 - staff in UK will be paid £5.65 for working on Sunday about €6.50.

Staff in Ireland will be paid a minimum legal rate of €12.38 /hour.

With staff costs accounting for 35% of a restaurants turnover, I think its excellent value you are being offered.

Difference # 2. Duty on bottle of sparkling wine UK = €2.30 + 17.5% vat
    Duty on sparkling wine Ireland = €3.94 + 21% vat (new 2010 budget rate)

Difference # 3 - commercial rates in Ireland are about 40% higher in the uK as UK citizens pay about £3000 a year in rates themselves whereas in Irealnd it commercial business that pays most of council income

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

91011 wrote: »
    Difference # 1 - staff in UK will be paid £5.65 for working on Sunday about €6.50.

Staff in Ireland will be paid a minimum legal rate of €12.38 /hour.

With staff costs accounting for 35% of a restaurants turnover, I think its excellent value you are being offered.

Okaaaay - but what about Friday and Saturday? Menu is the same price then.
    91011 wrote: »
    Also, is it the exact same prosecco?
    I would imagine so, I'd say a big chain like that would provide all the same stocks to its Irish branches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Okaaaay - but what about Friday and Saturday? Menu is the same price then.

QUOTE]

Min wage = €9.31 in Ireland (restaurant / fast food sector)
    UK = £5.65.

Of course if you are willing to accept a UK level of wage for the job you have or UK level of social welfare & pay UK levels of taxes, charges & rates then of course you'd have a valid reason for complaining, but whilst we enjoy lower taxes & charges (even after the last budget) and higher wages, then we have to accept that we must pay higher prices in labour intensive areas.

Advertisement