Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PR party list system &George Lee

Options
  • 10-02-2010 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

With the whole George Lee fiasco going on it got me thinking that he would have been much better placed coming in under a party list system. Look at how it pans out now: comes in on a byelection supposedly to represent a constituency's needs AND at the same time sort out the country's economic mess, then resigns after 9 months leaving his constituents fraked off and facing another by-election.

Wouldn't these "National Issue" politicians be better off coming in off a party list type PR election like used overseas and avoiding all the grubby local politics.

Personally I think the fact that all politicians have to represent a constituency causes far too much localism/parochialism in Irish politics, and a big drawback for the country as a whole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

I agree completely, we need to look at a list system -
    But for FF/FG in particular to institute these changes would be Turkeys voting for Christmas.

We have a very dynastic caste in both parties who like things the way they are. John O Donahue put it best - that only the people of Kerry could decide his future.

I do think George Lee was wrong to leave after 9 months - but I do apprieciate the frustration he may have felt.

If we want change in the way the states representitives are chosen, and dump the parish pump pothole system, then the only way to do that is stop the perpetuation of the two party system.

Advertisement