Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ex president of UCD Students Union Loughlin Deegan running for Fianna Fail in 1999

Options
  • 10-02-2010 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

This is brilliant, Former president of the UCD Students Union Loughlin Deegan when running for Fianna Fail in 1999.
    The hair style and glasses must have been all the rage back then

Loughlin Deegan Fianna Fail 1999
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

1999? That photo looks like it was taken in the 70s!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Did he win? NO

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=loughlin+deegan&init=quick#!/profile.php?id=723413523&ref=search&sid=806667309.2141964314..1 that must be his Facebook based on all the political groups he is a member of. Better glasses anyway

Why are we stalking some forgotten member of UCDSU. Are we proving that being a president of the SU actually means nothing in the real world :D

I have a glasses fetish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Duffy7

Found 2 more UCD people on that site.
    Diarmuid Coogan in 1989 (another ex SU leader)
    and is Paul McNulty still an Agricultural Science Professor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Sex Offender Alert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

this is why I have NOTHING to do with ANYTHING the union does/says

only people interested in a PO career run for that crap. Bad enough voting for a tool to run the country into the ground, but to vote for one at the grassroots level in Uni would make me want to kick myself in the face knowing that If they ever made it into the REAL public arena of PO you in some small way 'made it happen'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭AEG

it's pretty unflattering alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Didnt he leave the proclaimers to do this?

aaannnddd i would walk five hundred miles... to sort Dublins litter problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Tenderloins1

Another one of Deegan ,even more proclaimer like!

Another one of Deegan ,even more proclaimer like!

Hes a ten year old in a suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Ironically.

Anyone who knows me would confirm that I'm completely anti-SU, voted RON for everything, etc.

But, I ran into Loughlin post all this SU pres, FF candidate stuff, couple of years ago, before I came to UCD as a mature student. I found him a really sound guy. Possibly even the type of guy that would be good in the Dail/cabinet. Although as far as I know he is no longer involved in politics. So I'm kinda sorry that he's being slagged off here in these forums.

If the fact that you wear glasses is the worst insult that can be thrown at you, I guess you're doing better than a lot of other politicians.

On the other hand, he declared for FF, so lie in the bed you make, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

James Carroll was a more recent SU pres and made it into the Senate, disjointing a lot of noses on the way in no doubt... but I guess he doesn't wear glasses...

http://www.jamescarroll.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

just looking at that site, its need a where are thye section i

seems he solicitor and was special advisor to taoiseach ahern in 2004
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20040330.xml&Ex=All&Page=2

that him?

works for ibec now

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    James Carroll was a more recent SU pres and made it into the Senate, disjointing a lot of noses on the way in no doubt... but I guess he doesn't wear glasses...

http://www.jamescarroll.ie/

I had a look at the website, he seems to be everything that is wrong with Seanad Eireann. He is technically part of the Administrative Panel, one of the 5 vocational panels. However, as he gained his seat in a bye election, he didn't have to face a meaningful election, he was put on by the FF/Green oireachtas majority. Before being nominated he was a councillor in Louth. His website is still focused on Louth/Meath issues, although the Seanad has no geographical divisions. In my opinion, the policies he supports are populist rather than sensible (eg the car scrapage scheme). He is clearly planning a run for the Dail in Louth/Meath.

It's a pity that UCD students helped this guy, who exemplifies the worst flaws of our political system, in his march to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I like this on James Carroll: http://errorpositiveinfinity.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/newest-appointment-to-the-senate-a-missed-opportunity/

He isn't a bad man, nor an unintelligent one, but I think we can do better for the senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Zuffer wrote: »
    I had a look at the website, he seems to be everything that is wrong with Seanad Eireann. He is technically part of the Administrative Panel, one of the 5 vocational panels. However, as he gained his seat in a bye election, he didn't have to face a meaningful election, he was put on by the FF/Green oireachtas majority. Before being nominated he was a councillor in Louth. His website is still focused on Louth/Meath issues, although the Seanad has no geographical divisions. In my opinion, the policies he supports are populist rather than sensible (eg the car scrapage scheme). He is clearly planning a run for the Dail in Louth/Meath.

It's a pity that UCD students helped this guy, who exemplifies the worst flaws of our political system, in his march to power.
    Not to mention that he managed to bull**** for several hundred words about the Lost At Sea debacle without mentioning Frank Fahey (FF) who managed to divert a good bit of cash to business pals. He also talks about the "Irish Motor Industry" - we have a motor trade, not an industry, Ireland doesn't manufacture cars.

in summary: hack, tosser

Advertisement