Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather in New York Help

Options
  • 10-02-2010 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

ok here is the thing i am all for the love of snow as some of you know but i am heading to New York on Friday Morning:eek::eek:

Do you reckon we will even get there considering all the reports on the snow blizzard i hate flying at the best of times and now this is freaking me out i have even heard the mention of 3 foot of snow:eek::eek:

Have any of you been to newyork during a snow blizzard and can anyone direct me to a good website for newyork weather

i was so excited about this long awaited trip and now i am ****ting myself help please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Nowhere better to look than the NWS site here

They have a severe weather warning out until 6am EST Thursday, so you may get there Friday, though there could be a backlog of flights, so be ready for delays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

oh no dont say that i thought that new york and the US in general would be prepared for all of this i really cant believe this is happening :(:(:(

Thanks a mill for the info su campu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Shiiiiiiiit, Im actually going to NY in the morning. Dont think ill get out.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=jfk&wuSelect=WEATHER

That will give you the latest reports from jfk.
    It's currently snowing lightly there and they are expecting 16 inches by tomorrow so yes that will cause delays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

With that amount of snow it doesn't matter how much preparation you have in place. It cripples even the biggest most prepared cities. I was affected by snow in NY last year. I usually pay extra for a refundable ticket when flying in winter. NY is never my final destination so i'd just connect in Atlanta instead where there's a less chance of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

I live in the Bronx. This is the site I use every day to get the local weather:

http://www.accuweather.com/us/ny/new-york/10016/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipchg=1&metric=0

The most recent report is Manhattan will be getting 11.9 inches of snow. Thursday through Sunday are expected to be mostly sunny (that always seems to be the case in these parts after a blizzard) with temps right about freezing - so the snow won't be melting particularly fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

If you have rubber boots, pack them. What always happens in New York is that the cars heat up the roads, the snows melts, and you get massive slush puddles, often on along the curbs where you need to cross the streets.

You could try ny1.com for local stories on how the weather is affecting traffic and transport.

Even if your flight is not cancelled, it's likely to be completely overbooked with passengers who didn't get out yesterday. They will then have to bump some people off. To decrease the chances of being one of the unlucky bumpees, make sure you reconfirm your ticket, check in early, and if you have a frequent flier account with the airline, make sure your account number is registered with that ticket. Supposedly they are less likely to bump frequent flier members. You could even consider signing up for a membership now, and getting your ticket linked with it if possible.

It's not looking food for people that are flying out tomorrow to new york

BA are already canceling flights from heathrow to jfk so I assume aerlingus and others from Dublin will be doing likewise.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1049964-ba-0115-lhr-jfk-cancelled.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

It's not looking food for people that are flying out tomorrow to new york

BA are already canceling flights from heathrow to jfk so I assume aerlingus and others from Dublin will be doing likewise.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1049964-ba-0115-lhr-jfk-cancelled.html

Thankfully that tread was from yesterday. Hopefully we are ok in the morning.

I doubt it...
    The vast majority of flights out of jfk have been cancelled this evenin.
    Those that are going are subject to 5hr delays :eek:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do

If an ei plane can't get home,it won't be going out.

EI 108 at 845pm from jfk to Dublin is cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Been watching this and they said all flights cancelled

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/livenow?id=7268600

would be a good idea to keep an eye on the radar and hope for a clearance..

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

New York was not hit quite as badly as expected, about 10 inches fell on Wednesday. I would imagine that by Friday morning (U.S. time) the main airports there will be fairly close to normal operations. The slower recovery at DCA, IAD and PHL may have an impact with planes possibly being stranded there. The weather to expect on arrival is fairly cold but not brutally so, windy and partly cloudy. Another snowfall of about 2-4 inches is expected around Monday night. Remember, NYC did not have much snow on the ground before this storm hit, as the earlier storms missed to the south. The ten inches of snow has probably already settled to about six and may not seem like that big a deal when you arrive in New York. Boston and most of New England have very little snow on the ground even today.

The scenes around DC especially in rural sections of northern VA and Maryland are astounding. These areas have all broken long-standing seasonal snowfall totals and the season is barely half over (in historical terms, almost half of east coast U.S. snow occurs after Feb 10).

I've seen pictures on weather forums of people walking on top of 4-6 feet of snow on their properties, out to the road where their heads are level with the street signs at street corners. Of course you would sink into that level of snow but they are walking on top of mounds of compacted snow tossed up by plows, however, those mounds are only a few inches above the level of the uncompacted snow in their yards.

Meanwhile where I live, the Winter Olympics are about to start, and there is almost no snow on the local mountains below 5,000 ft. This is affecting only one of many event sites, fortunately most of the alpine ski-ing is higher up at Whistler with lots of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Lirange

Dallas Texas received 9 in of snow yesterday and some of the suburbs got a foot. Now Atlanta's getting blitzed with snow. Seems odd to me at least. I tend to think of big snows in places like Chicago, DC, New York, Philly, Toronto, etc, not that far south in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The amounts are heavy for the south, but there usually is one storm each winter that gets about that far south, especially in the El Nino pattern.

This storm will hit the Carolinas on Saturday morning then move out to sea, largely missing the snow-plagued Mid Atlantic states. Those may get hit again on Monday from a storm developing over the region, but this one looks more like 4-8 inches potentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

well we made it over and back in one piece there was alot of snow on the ground however all of it was cleared on the streets and roads good system they have

on our way back monday night our was at 9.30pm and an hour before we took off it started snowing heavily i **** myself and we were delayed 3 hours our plane had to be de-iced which was scary but we took off safely with alot of snow falling dont imagine that could have happened in ireland:D

thanks for all your help:cool:

Advertisement