Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Mobile (HTC Hero lookalike)

• 10-02-2010 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice (From a bit of Googling, it looks like these are legal, but Mod's please delete if you have any issues).

I'm thinking of purchasing this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30781

It's €90 delivered.

I know it's a fake, so I'm not expecting as much as you would get from a genuine HTC Hero but there's no way I'd ever pay €400 for a mobile phone.

I'm enquiring into whether anyone here has ever bought/used/know someone who bought a fake phone like this.

Also it says on DX that it has a Proprietory Operating System - Does anyone know what this means? Will it affect the performance of the mobile?

If this is a load of sh*ite, can anyone reccomend a good (cheap) phone with WIFI?

Thanks in advance lads

Looder

There's a review of it here: http://engmobdev.weblogsinc.com/2009/11/09/keepin-it-real-fake-part-ccxxxx-htc-hero-gets-iphone-flair/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Pull out ariel, haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

looder wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice (From a bit of Googling, it looks like these are legal, but Mod's please delete if you have any issues).

I'm thinking of purchasing this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30781

It's €90 delivered.

I know it's a fake, so I'm not expecting as much as you would get from a genuine HTC Hero but there's no way I'd ever pay €400 for a mobile phone.

I'm enquiring into whether anyone here has ever bought/used/know someone who bought a fake phone like this.

Also it says on DX that it has a Proprietory Operating System - Does anyone know what this means? Will it affect the performance of the mobile?

If this is a load of sh*ite, can anyone reccomend a good (cheap) phone with WIFI?

Thanks in advance lads

Looder

There's a review of it here: http://engmobdev.weblogsinc.com/2009/11/09/keepin-it-real-fake-part-ccxxxx-htc-hero-gets-iphone-flair/

Proprietary OS means.. its not Android, its not Symbian, or iPhone OS, or... well nothing.. its a mix of colorful icons. Forget the android market, installing apps, gps and.. well you get the picture.
    If I d ever go for something like that I would definitely not spend 90euro on it. maybe 30.
    much better if you have a look at adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why don't you just get a generic mobile from a local retailer... why on earth would anyone in their right mind want something like this...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

The phrase " you get what you pay for" isn't just empty rhetoric. There is a reason why smart phones, such as the Hero, cost €400+, and there is a reason why the cheap knock offs cost so little. It's understandable that many people won't feel comfortable paying such a large amount of money, but paying €100 for a look-alike is usually just a waste of €100. If you're only prepared to spend that amount of money, don't buy something calling itself a smart phone, stick with the lower end of the market, and buy yourself a reliable nokia or sony ericsson that will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

looder wrote: »
    Also it says on DX that it has a Proprietory Operating System - Does anyone know what this means?l]

It means that it's a really really **** OS which will spew a load of Chinese gobbledygook at you when it's even working! These knock offs don't have 3G either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

My mate always buys china versions of high end phones. Sometimes they even have better features then on the real versions but after a few months they just fall to pieces. You really get what you pay for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Pull-out aerial? Only reason you'd need this is if it was completely unusable without one, which means you more than likely wouldn't be able to get reception if it was in your pocket. There will be no info online about it, so if you're stuck or just want advice, not a chance. You're about a thousand times better off getting something like the Samsung Tocco Lite (on O2 prepay, €9 more than that 'Hero'). Or even just a plain old 'dumbphone', which will be much more usable and actually have more features that work. Seriously OP, terrible idea to go for that

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

28064212 wrote: »
    Pull-out aerial? Only reason you'd need this is if it was completely unusable without one, which means you more than likely wouldn't be able to get reception if it was in your pocket. There will be no info online about it, so if you're stuck or just want advice, not a chance. You're about a thousand times better off getting something like the Samsung Tocco Lite (on O2 prepay, €9 more than that 'Hero'). Or even just a plain old 'dumbphone', which will be much more usable and actually have more features that work. Seriously OP, terrible idea to go for that

The aerial is for the built in tv tuner, not for phone signals.

Anyway wouldn't recommend buying the phone as ive used a chinese fake before and there rubbish tbh.

OP if your looking for a cheap phone with wi-fi id recommend the nokia e51, you could get one on adverts for around €60 ;)

Advertisement