Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese new year

Options
  • 10-02-2010 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi Folks

not sure if this is the right section so mods feel free to move

Chinese new year is this weekend and I work with two lovely chinese women who gave me presents at christmas and like a chump had nothing for them:o:o

I was wondering does anyone know what would be an appropriate present to give for the chinese new year, I believe that this is like their christmas where they meet family and friends and exchange gifts.

Anyone any ideas and where I would get them.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

According to the ever reliable wikipedia:
    small gifts (usually of food or sweets) are also exchanged between friends or relatives (of different households) during Chinese New Year. Gifts are usually brought when visiting friends or relatives at their homes. Common gifts include fruits (typically oranges, and never pears), cakes, biscuits, chocolates, candies, or some other small gift.[6]

So whatever you get, make sure NO PEARS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Boom Boom wrote: »
    I was wondering does anyone know what would be an appropriate present to give for the chinese new year, I believe that this is like their christmas where they meet family and friends and exchange gifts.
    Anyone any ideas and where I would get them.
    thanks

Nice to be thoughtful. I would suggest a calendar. Usually bright and decorative, with the animal of the year etc, and chinese dates of interest etc. I would think you could get one in the Asian Markets, probably around Mary Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Good Man Charco & prinz

never thought of checking there.

2 Chocolate cakes of some description and two calenders coming up. wasn't as hard as I thought it would be

Thanks Lads

Advertisement