Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curly hair on men

• 10-02-2010 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi there looking for some opinions on curly hair. My hair has always been very curly. I've always kept it shaved tight as it becomes very hard to manage when it grows longer, especially first thing in the morning when it won't lie down, is frizzy etc.
    I've started going out with a gorgeous girl and she wants me to let it grow out. I've always wanted to too but never bothered as I think it could be alot of work.
    Can anyone give me some tips on managing it. Getting rid of the frizz and getting great curls. Any special shampoos, conditioners, products that will help? How often should I wash it? Would a particular cut look better and be more managable? My girlfriend said that keeping it shorter on the sides is the way to go. And most importantly how to get it under control in the mornings?
    Or maybe you girls don't like a guy with curly hair and it'd be too much work. All replys appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

i too have the curly haired curse :mad:

and the problems described above are the reasons i shave with a blade #3ish. i have resently been lazy and left it longer between cuts, some days i think it looks great...............but more often then not, i look like a lunatic!!!
    my girlfriend, and friends (girls), (and of course mother :rolleyes:) want me to grow it longer.

so i am very interested in helpful replies here too.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I love curly hair on guys!!!

There are tons of products out there that will help you - maybe venture outside the brylcreme shelf and see what you find. I personally have a thick mane of hair and I throw a bit of mousse in it to keep a curl in it. There are things like scrunching jelly though that are similar to hair gel for curly hair.

Boots does some own brand stuff thats grand and I think John Frieda has a range of curly haired stuff also.

i dont really us any produces at all, just wash it and see what happens...............the frizz is the problem really, with me anyway. Any time i have used anything it just makes my hair look greasy. and it dosnt always curl evenly on both sides!!! so my head looks deformed :eek:

any mooses and things i have tried, dont work to good as my hair is very think also and just does what it wants to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 starman1

Like Paulyh, I've never used any products at all. No gels, wax, moose, and honestly like most blokes wouldn't even have a clue how to use them. I just bought somthing called Tigi B For Men Bed Head In Check Curl Defining Cream. You apparantly rub it through your wet hair and get instant great curls. Suspicious but I'll let you know Paulyh if it's any good.
    Any hairdressers online who could suggest a good cut that would limit the time I have to spend preening myself?

Update on the hair situation. It's grown quite considerably in the last while. Definite curls with all the associated problems, frizz etc. I've been using conditioners for curly hair. No shampoo as this causes major frizz. I've also been using Tigi B For Men Bed Head In Check Curl Defining Cream in the mornings to decrease frizz and maximise curls. Once a week I use a hot oil treatment which leaves the hair softer and manageable but it's at an awkward phase. Neither short nor long. Getting mixed reactions but my girlfriend wants me to ride it out and get the long locks she likes. Any advice out there for men's curly hair thats stuck in an awkward phase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

starman1 wrote: »
    Update on the hair situation. It's grown quite considerably in the last while. Definite curls with all the associated problems, frizz etc. I've been using conditioners for curly hair. No shampoo as this causes major frizz. I've also been using Tigi B For Men Bed Head In Check Curl Defining Cream in the mornings to decrease frizz and maximise curls. Once a week I use a hot oil treatment which leaves the hair softer and manageable but it's at an awkward phase. Neither short nor long. Getting mixed reactions but my girlfriend wants me to ride it out and get the long locks she likes. Any advice out there for men's curly hair thats stuck in an awkward phase?

Horrible middle phase. No solution but a hat. :rolleyes:

Ahhh, back in the day before bald & grey caught me I had long flowing tresses of hair. *sigh*. My regime was very simple, detangle with an afro comb in the morning, then stick my head in the shower. I'd use a shampoo every 3 or 4 washes. I'd wash with whatever shampoo was laying around - head & shouders mostly but hey, if it's the girls herbal flowery mint silverkrin with extra flouride or whatever then so be it . Once a month give it a conditioning treatment. That was it. Thats all it needs. Most importantly, no hairdryers and as little towlling as I could get away with. Going straight outdoors and letting your hair dry in the breeze never failed to give magnificent results. All very Robert Plantish - Jim Morrisonesk - Shaggy from Scoobie Doo. As for cuts, I just got any split ends trimmed every two months or so.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Ok am a girl with curly hair but I'm sure some things still apply!

Use loads of conditioner, and wash as little as often to avoid drying it out. I use 'flirty curls scrunching jelly' by umberto gianni along with a leave in conditioner usually aussie or another. I use the leave in conditioner first also lobbing a good bit in and then the gel after with can with a little bit give a nice natural look or with a bit more give a more controlled/tamed look. Although I generally think the natural look is the way to go!

I should probably also note that maybe a go a bit overboard with the conditioner but it's because I unfortunately have to wash my hair more often that I'd like due to sport.

Oh and as OldGoat said avoid hair drying and instead let air do the job, also conditioning treatments for the win!

Thanks Angel and Oldgoat for your speedy replies. Angel you mentioned Aussie Leave In Conditioner. Which one do you use I can see alot of different ones online? Also what conditioning treatments would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

I'm a girl and I have really, really curly hair :)

First of all I try not to wash it too often and use shampoo every 3 or so washes (it's much more manageable) and invest in a good conditioner, they are your best friend :p

I've recently discovered a mouse from Paul Mitchell, I think it's just called conditioning mousse....it's in a white bottle with a red lid and smells like coconuts :D It's the best product I have ever used (and believe me I have tried every product going!), it leaves my hair soft and shiny with zero frizz and it smells amazing as well :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

starman1 wrote: »
    Thanks Angel and Oldgoat for your speedy replies. Angel you mentioned Aussie Leave In Conditioner. Which one do you use I can see alot of different ones online? Also what conditioning treatments would you recommend?

This is the one: http://www.superdrug.com/Aussie/AUSSIE-DUAL-PERSONALITY-ANTI-FRIZZ+PROTECT-CONDITIONER/invt/428450

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i also have this curse so have to wear a hat most days which i hate you can try that if u can do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

My OH has curly hair and finds it almost impossible to manage, but I'd never call it a curse! There's nothing nicer than running your fingers through a mane of unruly locks ;)
    The best solution he's found is to keep it short on the back and sides and let the rest grow a teeny bit more, that way its manageable but I still get my fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Ok, I have MAJOR curly hair, but I keep it shortish (YAY IRISH 'FRO!), so prob the same as if it were a guy talking... anyway, I use products from fudge (http://www.fudge.com/) in particular the Liquid Skrewd (esp for curly hair) and the hair shaper (great for scrunching!) I occassionally stick in a bit of the fat hed stuff for extra volume ( I REALLY like big hair!) and I'm pretty happy. Has the plus of smelling awesome. Only thing is you can't really get it in Ireland- you need to order online or get it when you're up North or in the UK. It's not hard to find there, at all. Most hairdressers stock it.

The Umberto Gianni stuff is great, too. I find blowdrying on cold with my hair upside down is actually grand too. Oh, and don't brush in between washes. :)

Stick with it. It can seem like a curse until you get the hang of caring for it, but curly hair is ALWAYS a talking point. Can really make you stand out, especially if you embrace it. I have long some to the conclusion that I ain't ever going to look 'neat' with this hair. ;)

since posting last time, i have my hair short again!! i could'nt take it anymore :( BUT......i plan to grow it out again now and really make a go of it this time, i just hope i can manage to get through the dreaded middle phase as mentioned above, not quite curly, just a kind of wavy awkward look........i could do with loosign a few pounds* too, but thats another thread.
    thanks for all the advise so far, its comforting to know that others struggle with hair issues.
    what about Frizz Ease stuff?? is it worth trying?

*stone

Paulyh you let the side down :). But you're right this awkward phase is a pain in the arse. I'd also like to know if anyone can review the frizz-ease products.

Oh come on! it was a weak moment.............it was before i was heading out on a saturday night, i wasnt feeling good about myself, i was having a 'fat' day i suppose :o
    i need to stay strong in future, i know that now!!

Work with the terrible middle stage. Let it grow out a bit and then go into somewhere like the Warldorf barbers and get a retro cut. You can opt for something a bit Rockabilly or something sharper like a character from MadMen (sorry, don't know the actor or character name). That lets you grow the crown long and keep the sides short. When the crown is long enough you can allow the sides to grow out more.
    That way you won't end up looking like the Mad boffin ala Fraiser from the early series. :eek:
    Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I never bother with the frizz-ease stuff, I find it expensive and not really worth it, TBH.

Hi Oldgoat, I was just wondering if you have any pictures of good rockabilly hairstyles or of the character from Madmen. I tried searching myself but not much out there. Cheers.

quiffs

I'll try hunting out better photos later for ya.

• Advertisement

Just looking through your quiffs photos Oldgoat and I'm wondering if I could carry off the Grace Jones cut :). Sure I'll get beaten up but It'd be very fashion forward.

How often should you get your hair cut if you're planning to grow it longer? My hairdresser reckons every six weeks to see that it keeps shape and style but to me getting it cut every six weeks means that it'll take years to grow long at all. And suggestions?

Advertisement