Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Digiweb Metro be upgraded now that Voda and Eircon offer 24MB

• 10-02-2010 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if the Metro service will offer more than 12Mb ( and bigger caps) anytime soon ?

Want to know before I pull the trigger on Voda 24MB and sign for a year.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hard to say,
    Eircom and Vodafone are offering upto 24MB via ADSL2+
    Metro is fixed wireless...different type of technology

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

check the contention and if your phone line can handle it too.
    You might end up with a worse service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

zod wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Metro service will offer more than 12Mb ( and bigger caps) anytime soon ?

Want to know before I pull the trigger on Voda 24MB and sign for a year.

Their base stations can handle up to 800Mb each.

http://www.ogierelectronics.com/broadband_wireless.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only 10% of phone line users or less can get the 24Mbps. It's marketing. What is currently on offer on Metro is real. The existing Metro caps are needed to maintain the quality as it is Shared Fixed Wireless bandwidth. The Caps should not be increased.

UPC will be offereing 120Mbps later in the year and will have higher caps than eircom.

However you don't know how many base channels there are at a Mast, bigpaddy. It could be one or it could in theory be many more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

watty wrote: »
    What is currently on offer on Metro is real. The existing Metro caps are needed to maintain the quality as it is Shared Fixed Wireless bandwidth. The Caps should not be increased.

The speeds on offer may very well be "real", but you can go through your cap in under 9hrs if you're on their medium package!?

A 30gb, strictly enforced cap on an 8mb package has no place in 2010. The average family, which this package is presumably aimed at, will have to severely restrict their usage to meet this target.

30gb may have been good enough for the average family 2 years ago, but it's simply not going to cut it anymore. Digiweb will need to double their caps by years end if they want to compete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

voda tell me I can get 17MB with 100GB cap for €62

no way I would go with digiweb with their current 12MB and 50GB cap for €60

are they likely to up their speeds soon?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Simi wrote: »
    A 30gb, strictly enforced cap on an 8mb package has no place in 2010. The average family, which this package is presumably aimed at, will have to severely restrict their usage to meet this target.

Thing is the average residential user currently don't come near to 30GB a month so what your saying has no basis in real statistics its just your view on it.

If your going to say that the average Irish Broadband user uses more then 30GB a month then back this up with actual facts and stats as to date I've seen no ISP stats to prove that this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thing is the average residential user currently don't come near to 30GB a month so what your saying has no basis in real statistics its just your view on it.

If your going to say that the average Irish Broadband user uses more then 30GB a month then back this up with actual facts and stats as to date I've seen no ISP stats to prove that this is the case.
    It's common sense, why do you need stats? download 3 or 4 movies a month (by legal means of course) and that's your cap gone. The whole point of 8mb broadband is that it meets with the 21st centruy multimedia demands of an average family, slapping a 30gb limit on top of that defeats the whole purpose. There's no stats needed to come to that conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

yeah friend of mine is with digiweb 8mb metro and he is always going over the 30gb limit - think its the only thing he doesnt like about their service.

suppose my average would be somewhere between 40-50gb a month - its rare I go over that and that would be with some fairly heavy downloading - but I dont use torrents etc, thats what kills people's bandwidth allocation.

I don't think the average family would go over 30GB in a month.

I normally finished with about 35GB download at the end of the month and I would consider myself a heavy internet user. Watch on average ~3-5 Youtube video a day. My brother also uses it so my broadband is in constant use. I also use the my broadband on my Ipod for download apps.

I'm on eircom 7Mb. In Jan '10 I download 24GB. But I would see uses who download movies/music break the 30GB limit easily.

Do anyone have Digiweb?
    Are they as reliable as Eircom?

• Advertisement

Their caps are needlessly restrictive .. especially with the declining closts of backhaul.

went with Voda 24mb

pity Digiweb don't upgrade their metro speeds and get a realistic cap

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

zod wrote: »
    pity Digiweb don't upgrade their metro speeds and get a realistic cap

dw won't get a realistic cap because they want to avoid paying to upgrade their backhaul and upstream transit links.

slip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's not to do with cost of backhaul, but to allow "average" user to have decent contention.

If the cap was 120G, the typical peak speed would be 1/3rd.

It's not coax or phone lines. To have such a Cap, they would need x4 the amount of spectrum for the same number of users. Mostly the Spectrum doesn't exist.

If they sell higher speed or higher Cap at current prices on Metro, it would make the service worse.

You may get 20Mbps to 120Mbps this year on UPC (Chorus/NTL). But no more than 10% of phone line users can ever get as much as 20Mbps. 3Mbps will forever be the AVERAGE phone line speed until copper is replaced with Fibre to the Cabinet in your street.

3Mbps will forever be the AVERAGE phone line speed until copper is replaced with Fibre to the Cabinet in your street.

Right, so Digiwebs philosophy is to sit back until upc has more penetration?

Progressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bkbk

You may get 20Mbps to 120Mbps this year on UPC (Chorus/NTL). But no more than 10% of phone line users can ever get as much as 20Mbps. 3Mbps will forever be the AVERAGE phone line speed until copper is replaced with Fibre to the Cabinet in your street.

Watty good to see you back.

Of course you are correct, however things do seem to be moving along, certainly with UPC and I believe Eircom will be forced to respond.

This will leave Digiweb in a difficult situation, as the usage of the average family is increasing and Digiweb increasingly look uncompetitive compared to Eircom and UPC as they improve their services and DW get pushed out of more and more areas, leaving them serving just the small number of people who can't get wired bb, while having to compete with all the cheaper 3G operators.

In fact DW look to be in a very difficult market position. Can't compete with the high speeds, high caps and quality of wired BB, while also not being able to compete with the cheapness and mobility advantage of the admittedly inferior 3G services.

And that is why I thought Digiweb bought Smart Telecom, I thought they recognised their dangerous position in the market and bought Smart to give them a high quality wired bb network and ISP. But they seem to be blowing that too with the way they are running Smart into the ground, driving customers away, into the arms of UPC, introducing a crappy capping policy and now charging the most expensive price on the market for 24mb bb!

I just don't get DW managements thinking or business strategy.

Formerly bk, haven't gotten my account back since the hack :-(

bkbk wrote: »

I just don't get DW managements thinking or business strategy.
    (

it's really only a solution for people who cant get the mainstream products, they are not cheaper, nor have they got better products..

Digiweb's school report :

*Could try harder*

Advertisement