Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Patrick O' Neill

Options
  • 10-02-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

For my history project I'm doing a piece on Irish Nazi involvement during WW2. I know of a Dr. Patrick O'Neill who died in action 1944 who was from Donegal. I was wondering if anybody had any information on him. I've looked at the 1911 census and can see on 2 relevant Patrick O'Neills from Donegal at the time.

O'neill Patrick Drumgorman, Mountcharles, Donegal 19 years old Co Donegal Farmer's Son

O'Neill Patrick Albert Newtown, Cunningham Town, Castleforward, Donegal 5 yaers old Co Donegal Scholar

Any help would be appriciated

Comments

I've no idea, but there's a history forum around here somewhere, they'd probably have a better idea of where to go for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

link and link 2

Just mentions, but may be useful. Be very careful of random websites as sources though.

Have you considered that Patrick O'Neill may have been an alias?

I have a vague memory that Stringer and Brady were originally listed with the Waffen-SS under aliases, and for a Donegal man O'Neill would have seemed an obvious choice of surname, while Patrick ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you asked the Germans?
    They kept fairly good records. About 20 years ago I had a Group Cert. child doing a project on a family member who had been in a POW camp outside Berlin and the German authorities helped him with information.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

link and link 2

Just mentions, but may be useful. Be very careful of random websites as sources though.

Have you considered that Patrick O'Neill may have been an alias?

I have a vague memory that Stringer and Brady were originally listed with the Waffen-SS under aliases, and for a Donegal man O'Neill would have seemed an obvious choice of surname, while Patrick ...

Ive read Hitlers Irishmen which was really good, I have an old independance document and programme Irish Nazi's.Yeah im afriad its an alias, especially because of bradys. I already have stringer and brady in the project but just thought it might be interesting to write about "o'neill"
    spurious wrote: »
    Have you asked the Germans?
    They kept fairly good records. About 20 years ago I had a Group Cert. child doing a project on a family member who had been in a POW camp outside Berlin and the German authorities helped him with information.

Actually that'd be really helpful, any idea about how i'd go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Junior D wrote: »
    I already have stringer and brady in the project but just thought it might be interesting to write about "o'neill"
    No reason not to include whatever you can find, simply acknowledge the possibility that it may be an alias ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

No reason not to include whatever you can find, simply acknowledge the possibility that it may be an alias ...

Yeah, thanks for help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Junior D wrote: »

Actually that'd be really helpful, any idea about how i'd go about it?

You could send an email to this site. If they can't help you, they could maybe recommend someone who could.
    http://www.bundesarchiv.de/aufgaben_organisation/abteilungen/reich/00434/index.html

Keep your request simple. Ideally get a German speaker to write for you, but if you write in English, just ask very clear, direct questions.

They're still very sensitive about it all and might be a bit suspicious of your request.

Advertisement