Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working near UL; is living in the city center to much hassle?

Options
  • 10-02-2010 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I'm starting work next week near UL (the company is in the International Science Center, which is technically on the campus, I think), and I'm in two minds about where to find a place to rent. Originally, my plan was to find a place near Castletroy or along the Dublin Road towards the city center, as close to UL as possible, but I've also seen some places advertised in the city center itself that I like (close to the Dock Road, for example).

But, am I better off staying away from the city center? What's the commute like out to UL from, say, the Dock Road? What's the noise level like (I'm doing some part-time post-grad study as well)?

I have to admit, this thread is nearly making my mind up as it is, but any opinions are very welcome...

[Edit: Damn pesky title; I know how to use "too", you know!]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I work by UL and live by Coonagh. There will be heavey traffic between 8:20 and 9:00 and again in the evening between 5:00 and 6:00 so i usually try to travel outside of these times if possible. But even if I get caught in these times it's not that bad.

I can't really say what it's like living in the city centre but as long as you have parking at your apartment, you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Have a look at Riverpoint, a mate of mine is living there at the mo and it's dead quiet but practically in the city centre. Secure car parking too. Don't know if you're driving or not but the bus service to UL is a joke but it's only about 15 mins by bike. It's completely off-road from the roundabout at the Absolut Hotel, a mix of cycle track and tow-path along the canal and river.

The alternative is to get a place in Castletroy or Annacotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

concussion wrote: »
    Have a look at Riverpoint, a mate of mine is living there at the mo and it's dead quiet but practically in the city centre. Secure car parking too. Don't know if you're driving or not but the bus service to UL is a joke but it's only about 15 mins by bike. It's completely off-road from the roundabout at the Absolut Hotel, a mix of cycle track and tow-path along the canal and river.

The alternative is to get a place in Castletroy or Annacotty.

This.... nice path and cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I can see no reason why you would bother living in the city if your gonna be working around UL tbh. There is no advantage to it. You could find a nicer quieter place anywhere around the Castletroy side of town and then to top that off you would have very little drive to work. If I was you id be more interested in looking at the likes of Annacotty.
    There is no advantage to living in the city in your situation. Especially the doc rd.
    Thats just my opinion anyway, if you have your heart set on the city, go for it, the noise wouldnt be much of an issue tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Alright, thanks for the opinions lads. @wylo, your post rings the most true to me- like I say, my original plan was to rent near UL; I'm not sure why I got the urge to live in the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I live on the Dock Road about 5 mins walk from the city centre, and commute to Shannon every day. The noise level is quite bearable. Of course, theres the odd nob tearing down the road in a souped up motor, but generally its quite peaceful. And I live on the first floor, so its the closest I can get to the road, pretty much.

Advertisement