Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cholesterol drug worse than the illness!

Options
  • 10-02-2010 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My doctor diagnosed that I was statin intolerant a couple of years ago and he put me on ezytrol. However this drug couldn't keep my cholesterol below 6.8at best so two weeks ago he put me on a brand new drug called Tredaptive. It was so new that it had to be specially ordered in by the chemist.

When I read the leaflet and the side effects that affect more than one in ten people, I was a little concerned, e.g.
    Hot flushes
    nervous tingling of the face, limbs Nd body
    itching
    nausea
    etc etc

the day Fter I took the first pill, I felt ok but an hour after I took the second one, I felt Bsolutely awful, i.e.
    The pressure in my head made it feel like it was going to explode
    the burning sensation in my head and neck was awful
    I. had a prickly sensation all over my face and neck
    I developed an incredible itch from my scalp to my toes that no amount of scratching would relieve
    I was very nauseous

I rang the doctor and he advised me to stick with the course to see if these symthoms would subside but if anything they got worseAfter the fourth day I stopped taking the Tredaptive as I was going mad with the flushing the itch and the other side effects. That was a week ago and I'm still feeling the side effects but they appear to be abating albeit slowly.

I never suffered from allergies or had any kind of reaction to medication before these pills and so I'd advise any fellow cholesterol sufferers out there to be very wary of taking this drug. I now know why the manufacturer of Tredaptive goes to such lengths explaining the anticipated side effects (that appear to be too common to allow this drug to be marketed IMO)

Advertisement